Trying linseed paint - £141.68 for 1 litre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final coat just applied.
47b2d7436af8d33ba64977e674cae4a4.jpg

8e72388a22d822a4a8975ec35eeb4006.jpg

All the same consistent colour. It really is a lovely paint to apply ! Fingers crossed it'll dry the same.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed indeed! This thread has put me off trying linseed paint even more than the price - which is a shame as on the face of it there are some serious positives if it can be made to work consistently.

memzey":jxhenomh said:
Fingers crossed indeed! This thread has put me off trying linseed paint even more than the price - which is a shame as on the face of it there are some serious positives if it can be made to work consistently.
I wouldn't hold your breath [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
354db046d33ee54e7efb586e1c010aa6.jpg

Within hours darker spots are beginning to show.

I'd guess that it's gone on too thick - it skins over in parts take ages to dry, if ever.
It's quite different from modern paint and you have to brush it out thin. You don't get a gloss finish. "Eggshell" is the best you can expect and that will weather and become chalky. But it goes a long way, sticks like sh*t to a blanket, lasts a long time and can be touched up with oil alone. I'm still all for it, 10 years in.
I haven't costed it but I'm pretty certain it has gone a very long way - and it has very long shelf life in the tin

I really spread it out thin Jacob and the 3rd coat was dry within 24 hours. I'm also pleased to say the 3rd coat looks much much much much much much much much much much much better than the second coat. I'll take a few pictures tomorrow but there's only a few spots that look a slightly different shade. I shall be drilling a hole in the brush handle tomorrow ready for the next lot !!!!

Jacob":11x3bua8 said:
and it has very long shelf life in the tin
That's one thing I did notice with the paint. With the first coat ages ago I mixed up what I thought was enough (with the added zinc) but still had heaps left over. I poured the left over in a jam jar. When I fetched it from the paint room I noticed it had separated and expected it to have gone off. I gave it a really good stir and it was like new. That would have never been usuable if it were oil based !
Progress has been made, not quite sure how, but it really looked quite impressive earlier. Thanks Jacob ;@)

ColeyS1":i0g08949 said:
memzey":i0g08949 said:
I wouldn't hold your breath [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
354db046d33ee54e7efb586e1c010aa6.jpg

Within hours darker spots are beginning to show.

OK...I know it's an old thread but it got referenced in a newer one and so thought I'd revisit. Especially as I've been using LOP a lot recently.

Coley..looking at that photo, I'd still say that you're either still putting too much on or not laying off sufficiently.

That price is also a tad expensive !

Back