Four MDF Alcove Units - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm now three days into a project building four alcove units to be fitted into an Edwardian house in north Manchester. I'm trying to get all the making done this week so I can spend next week painting them, and the following week fitting.

I started off with a cutting list for each unit produced on a spreadsheet. I only have to enter in the size of the alcove and the computer does all the work.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits008.jpg

I started off with the doors. Componants cut and machined

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits006.jpg

Assembling

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits017.jpg

A couple of brads on the joints saves time and clamps

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits018.jpg

12 doors in 5 hours - not a bad start.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits019.jpg

Day two began with cutting and laying out the componants for the face frames for the upper units

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits020.jpg

This is where the Domino really comes into its own.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits021.jpg

Routing a small moulding round the inside of each frame

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits022.jpg

Clamped up to set overnight.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits031.jpg

Day three is building the carcasess for the base units.

Here I'm screwing on an end panel

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits034.jpg

Everything is on adjustable legs for levelling

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits036.jpg

And guess what. The doors fit!

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits037.jpg

Today I'll be onto the upper cabinets, followed by a lot of sanding...

:cry:

Cheers
Duncan

Doctor":e0d1ltwg said:
Wow, true to your word Dan, it really is all MDF.

Funnily enough I've been having second thoughts on the thin rails of the face frames. I'm a bit worried about shelf sag.

I think I'll replace the rails with beech ones.

Doctor":e0d1ltwg said:
You are the alcove King.

Hey, it pays the rent.

And some!

:wink:

Great photos,Dan - thanks for taking the time.
And what a simple (but brilliant) idea your racking is for stacking the doors while they set :D

Andrew

Interesting to see how you go about making this type of Unit, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

A question about the Domino - presumably, before the Domino, you would have used biscuit for the face frames. How do the two compare for this type of application?

cheers
Dave

12 doors in 5 Hours! isn't bad its brilliant. Your methodology is an eye opener you really have put the manufacture into a fine art.

Do you have an apprentice/family member to pass these skills onto?

Keep up the good work

Ah so that is what the rack was for! brilliant! I did mean to ask you about that while I was there Dan but it slipped my mind with everything going on. I can see I have to try harder to get my times down to yours. Great post mate. Keep up the good work. :wink:

mailee":foaefid4 said:
Ah so that is what the rack was for!

Actually, the rack is for putting doors and panels on while the lacquer or paint dries after spraying. Very handy!

Meanwhile, I acomplished very little today.

I had to take Dan jr to school so didn't get in until 9.15.

Then Karl came round bearing chips for dinner. :lol:

As soon as he'd gone I had a phone call from potential client wanting me to quote for some work so I went out to Mobberley in the afternoon. I got an order and a deposit for two MDF alcove units!!

On the way back driving through Wilmslow I spotted an A board advertising hand-made furniture. So I stopped and popped in. It turned out to be this guy. http://www.garryolson.co.uk/

He was a lovely bloke and we spent the rest of the afternoon gassing about woodworking.

So it was a very nice but unproductive day. One of the luxuries of being self-employed.

:lol:

I promise to do better tomorrow.

Dan

I never get that, being self employed I always want to work harder, I really couldn't imagine just chatting to some one all afternoon when there is work to be done.
Don't get me wrong I like visitors to the workshop but after an hour I just want to get on.

I like the method and line of production so far. I am jealous that being self-employed gains you a break when you feel like it though! :roll:

Doctor":2t0s6dvf said:
I never get that, being self employed I always want to work harder, I really couldn't imagine just chatting to some one all afternoon when there is work to be done.
Don't get me wrong I like visitors to the workshop but after an hour I just want to get on.

That's why I'll never be able to buy a new Lotus!

Thing is though Doc, I work hard. I also like to take time out when the mood takes me though.

For me, self employment with no debt and low costs gives me the freedom to do as I please, within reason.

If I fancy the day off with Mrs T and Dan jr, I can take it. If I fancy spending the afternoon in the pub with Phil instead of working, I can.

It doesn't happen often - I'm usually grafting away - but I have got the choice.

And that to me is the luxury of self-employment!

Cheers
Duncan

Dan Tovey":ji35zxxz said:
Doctor":ji35zxxz said:

That's why I'll never be able to buy a new Lotus!

Thing is though Doc, I work hard. I also like to take time out when the mood takes me though.

For me, self employment with no debt and low costs gives me the freedom to do as I please, within reason.

If I fancy the day off with Mrs T and Dan jr, I can take it. If I fancy spending the afternoon in the pub with Phil instead of working, I can.

It doesn't happen often - I'm usually grafting away - but I have got the choice.

And that to me is the luxury of self-employment!

Cheers
Duncan

My thoughts entirely Dan.
The last week of taking the kids to school has reinforced my determination to put work second, & enjoy what i`ve got, while i can.

Believe me Dan i'm not knocking you for it, I just can't work like that.
Even though its my business I still like to work a regular schedule, I take more holiday than a normal job though and enjoy a few more luxuries.

These posts are a bit like a TV serialisation, Lost or Heroes, I get to the last post and am disappointed.

I want to change to a pay channel to get the rest of the story before anyone else! :D

This is really interesting and very informative.

I really like your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Mick

Dan - where's all the shiny hand tools gone that were on that bench last week?..I thought you'd have at least got a few by now :wink: :lol: - Rob

Dan Tovey":1lvez3ny said:
I'm not going to waste any time this morning playing on the interweb. A quick cup of tea and in the workshop by 5.30.

Just what the Doctor ordered!

:wink:

Dan

Good Lord Dan! you start work earlier than me! :shock: Mind you I was knackered the other day after starting at 6am and finishing at 8pm. :oops:

I like to be in the shop by 6.30 - 7.00am

I can get more done in the first few hours before I wake up properly than I can in the rest of the day!

If Mrs T is on an early shift and I have to take Dan jr to school however, I don't get in until after 9.00.

I have been known to go in for a couple of hours before she goes to work at 7.00 though.

Best time of the day!

Dan

Back