Four MDF Alcove Units - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, time for an update;

Our good friend Karl came out to help me with the fitting and got off to a flying start with a base unit and perfectly scribed top.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits046.jpg

One we'd got all the base units in the upper face frames had to be scribed to the alcove recesses. Note how I'm working on the back of the frame.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits047.jpg

Cutting on the back of the frame reduces tear-out from the jigsaw.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits048.jpg

Hand-tool wizard Karl fine tunes the scribe with his... erm... Bosch power planer!

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits049.jpg

Upper units in place and doors hung.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits052.jpg

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits056.jpg

Now we're getting there...

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits059.jpg

HOWEVER!!

We've got a problem. I normally build these units with backs on them. This client though, specified that she didn't want backs on the upper units, preferring instead to see the painted walls.

When we got the units in place we discovered that the walls are not just a bit out - they lean forward by up to 2" at the top, meaning we are left with unsightly gaps at the base of the upper units.

Dickinson-MooreAlcoveUnits065.jpg

The only thing for it is to make backs from 6mm MDF and to paint them in the colour of the walls. Fortunately we haven't fiixed the upper units into position yet so can lift them off, fix the backs, and put them back up again without difficulty. Luckily the client had a spare tin of the neccessary paint co I know what I'm going to be doing over the weekend!

Lesson learned - always put backs on fitted units like these. It's the first time I haven't and I've been caught out!

We're going back one day next week to finish off.

Cheers
Dan

Dan do you spray with an HVLP system if so do you need alot of room for that or do you think I could use it in my 4m x 4m workshop.

Looking good buy the way shame about the backs I had that once with some oak units where the client wanted to see the wall behind so I just used plain 6mm mdf and she got her decorator to paint it the same colur as the wall.

Looking good Duncan, I think everyone has been caught out like that at somepoint, like you say never again.
When I used to fit :D I always used reverse cut blades, in the jigsaw and cut using the jigsaw upside down but following my line on the face of the frame, I know this will sound odd but believe me it is more accurate and no blow out.
You need to lay of the pies a bit, that t shirt looks a bit tight around the waist :lol: :lol:

Doctor":10m36aae said:
You need to lay of the pies a bit, that t shirt looks a bit tight around the waist :lol: :lol:

He was breathing in when I took that picture :lol:

Did you have a little go on the trampoline? or i bet karl had a go on the bike whilst you pushed him around the garden? or is it just me.........

chippy1970":1vmkx5w3 said:
Dan do you spray with an HVLP system if so do you need alot of room for that or do you think I could use it in my 4m x 4m workshop.

I use conventional spray guns and a compressor. The most important thing is a decent spray booth; you can normally pick them up second hand for between £300 and £500 complete with fan and motor. This is mine.

DSC_0409.JPG

They are space hogs though. My shop is 10m x 6m and I don't think one would fit in anywhere smaller and give enough room for all the other stuff.

heers
Dan

Doctor":l0eph417 said:

Fair enough.

I've put about three stone on since I gave up smoking.

Unfortunately that was fifteen years ago so as an excuse it's kind of past its sell by date!

:lol:

Dan

I gave up 8 years ago, just finished a nice roast dinner and still have the urge to light up.
I still love the smell of fresh smoke but the one thing which nearly makes me gag on the spot is smokers breath, I just never new prior to giving up.
I'd use the excuse it's all muscle Duncan :lol: :lol: just a bit wobbly

Hi Duncan (assuming that is still your name :wink: )

I'm interested in the shelves you've made. I see that you have added a deep lipping / edging strip to them front and back - presumably to hopefully stop them from bowing, but they still look to be quite thin in comparison to their length. Just wondering what the dimensions actually are and if you do any calculations to determine sag - for example using something like this? The shelves do appear to be fixed which helps but if end up being loaded with books I think that the sag would be noticeable.

Steve

Nice job Dan.

Now where did you get that WHITE :shock: Makita radio I have only seen blue ones.

Excellent Duncan, up to your usual standard dare I say. Nice touch on the backs too. I just hope my bedroom suite turns out quite as good. :wink:

Back