Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Discobob
Hi All,

I am looking to clad the Newel posts and stringer (outside) on our staircase, while replacing the spindles, base rail and hand rails with oak.

what would be a good material to use to box out the newel posts in - I don't want to add too much to the dimensions. I have seen rolls of real veneer for the stringer - self adhesive - that I think I will use there.

I will hopefully be cutting it down using my track saw and then table saw.

Cheers
By LBCarpentry
We do stair refurbs like this loads - mainly in oak.

I use solid 15mm oak to clad the newels. Pre - Making the boxes (But don’t glue them yet) using festool dominos so they fit snug around the existing newel. They need a bit of scribing before glue and cramp in situ - then sand down and finish. For the strings we use 6 - 12mm oak veneered mdf, And just trim with oak bead if necessary.

If your painting the newels I can’t see any reason why 9/12/15mm MRMDF wouldn’t suffice with cladding the newels.
By Discobob
LBCarpentry wrote:We do stair refurbs like this loads - mainly in oak.

I use solid 15mm oak to clad the newels. Pre - Making the boxes (But don’t glue them yet) using festool dominos so they fit snug around the existing newel. They need a bit of scribing before glue and cramp in situ - then sand down and finish. For the strings we use 6 - 12mm oak veneered mdf, And just trim with oak bead if necessary.

If your painting the newels I can’t see any reason why 9/12/15mm MRMDF wouldn’t suffice with cladding the newels.

Wife doesn't want paint - although we have previously painted areas due to the carp the house builder put in (or rather - stained in/over)

We are looking at Oak for the cladding - if you use 15mm wouldn't that give an increase of 30% on the size of the Newel post though - Doesn't that make them look very boxy - or is it to give more strength to the box??

Where is a good place to source the oak from - preferably North Wales/Cheshire/Merseyside area - or that will do delivery

Cheers
By Discobob
Doug71 wrote:Not cheap but I know someone who used these recently and it made a tidy job.

https://www.stairbox.com/products/produ ... ductid=317

Seemed expensive at first - but they are not just 45 degree angles I suppose. Trouble with this is it can get really expensive with waste/self generated mistakes which for me is a given :D
By LBCarpentry
Discobob wrote:

Wife doesn't want paint - although we have previously painted areas due to the carp the house builder put in (or rather - stained in/over)

We are looking at Oak for the cladding - if you use 15mm wouldn't that give an increase of 30% on the size of the Newel post though - Doesn't that make them look very boxy - or is it to give more strength to the box??

Where is a good place to source the oak from - preferably North Wales/Cheshire/Merseyside area - or that will do delivery

Cheers

Well If you can neatly veneer an old newel and still have it looking fresh after even 1 year then Your a better man than I :lol:
By Discobob
LBCarpentry wrote:
Discobob wrote:

Cheers

Well If you can neatly veneer an old newel and still have it looking fresh after even 1 year then Your a better man than I :lol:

The veneer is going to be on the staircase string - I know I will need to clad the Newel - in our house a veneered newel wouldn't last 30 seconds :D
The stringer is flat so that will be OK - The newels are turned for a big part of it - I am thinking about boxing it and filling the voids with resin to make it more solid and remove the boxing before cladding