rule breaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpyone

Established Member
Reaction score
Why are some members allowed to break the classified(for sale) rules ??
Should the rules not apply to every one

Easy to see , item is for sale on ebay , plus selling excess stock (at a profit , different prices prove this) .The funny thing is there is a seller on ebay cheaper anyway .

Should be one rule for all .

Unless you want me to waste your tax and bill money checking eBay for every single thing in the market forum, just to figure out what you're harping on about, you could simply post a link.

You obviously think this is such a heinous crime as to drag it directly out in public, rather than simply PMing a Mod and letting them do the job... so drag it on out here and let's have a look at this foul crime.

mods are aware , BUT for some reason have left it . We lost some good members partly due to the for sale section so this is just not right !

carpyone":2oh6j8rq said:
Easy to see , item is for sale on ebay , plus selling excess stock (at a profit , different prices prove this) .The funny thing is there is a seller on ebay cheaper anyway .

Should be one rule for all .

buy it on ebay then, stop complaining

I simply don't understand why you have rules , if they do not apply to every one .

I'm guessing this is aimed at me? regarding the Abranet rolls I'm selling?. If so, I apologise I was unaware about the forum rules regarding advertising on eBay at the same time as advertising on here (for your information I have now removed them from ebay).

I'm a luthier by trade (and a hobbyist woodworker). I'm not normally in the business of selling sandpaper!.. it's simply a one-off sale of items that I genuinely don't have a use for, not some sort of 'stock clearance'.

I'm happy to discuss the matter with a mod if there's an issue.

carpyone":3pehbn50 said:
I simply don't understand why you have rules , if they do not apply to every one .
Well, to quote a very wise and long-serving member of this forum, whose many posts have greatly contributed to our wonderful community:

"Welcome to the real world where not everything is always perfect"

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post1173401.html#p1173401

It was a valid question by the OP, previously mods have waded in once aware, occasionally perhaps a little heavy handed, but applying rules of the forum that we all have to abide by in order to use this service.
Happily on this occasion the 'offender' politely responded and amended the situation as soon as he realised.
It's just a shame the OP was met with such a poor and unhelpful attitude before that had chance to happen.

carpyone":2h4ov8p9 said:
The forum either has rules or doesn't ALL members should abide by them IMO .
see - market-place-rules-guidelines-please-read-before-posting-t54359.html

There are at least one classified post breaking the rules , yes its up to the mods , but is it up to them to decide not to police the rules ? Surely the rules apply to every one

No one is arguing with you about who the rules apply to.
But your initial post was vague and did not provide a link or any indication of where you saw a perceived breach. In fact you could argue your tone was accusatory and argumentative from the start.
Even when you were asked where you saw the problem you didn't provide a link. In fact you accused others of knowing it was going on and not dealing with it - in effect you accused them of lying.
I doubt very strongly that the mods spend their time sat in the marketplace forum waiting for someone to post and then immediately rush off to check the entire internet so make sure its not offered elsewhere.
I am sure your application to be a mod to help police this important aspect of the site will be appropriately considered.

"No one is arguing with you about who the rules apply to.
But your initial post was vague and did not provide a link or any indication of where you saw a perceived breach. In fact you could argue your tone was accusatory and argumentative from the start.
Even when you were asked where you saw the problem you didn't provide a link. In fact you accused others of knowing it was going on and not dealing with it - in effect you accused them of lying.
I doubt very strongly that the mods spend their time sat in the marketplace forum waiting for someone to post and then immediately rush off to check the entire internet so make sure its not offered elsewhere.
I am sure your application to be a mod to help police this important aspect of the site will be appropriately considered."

WOW who rattled your cage , no i haven't accused any one of lying .
I've not mentioned what post I am talking about so yes may be i'm being vague , what post do you think I'm talking about .
There is at least one post that is breaking more than one rule which has been reported by myself and others and yet is still there .
My question is a simple one why do the rules not apply to everyone .

MikeG.":2ks1o4xc said:
fish":2ks1o4xc said:
WOW who rattled your cage ........

Whose cage? If you developed the habit of quoting or linking, people wouldn't have to guess what you are talking about.

OOPs thouth I had , thank you for kindly pointing this out :D

I'm struggling to understand your frustrations, mainly because you have only contributed with 4 posts prior to this. Yes rules are rules but honestly settle in a bit and get a bit of a feel for the place before becoming a forum nazi!!!! Jesus I've been banned more times than you've posted but at least I had the decency to kick off after a few hundred posts and having contributed a bit of useful stuff.

Hey Simo, I wasn't upset that you didn't know the rules. I even thought about having a roll myself but I've got a box of precut already.

Anyway, I didn't know what a luthier is, so I looked it up and learnt yet another thing on this excellent forum.

You've sorted it out, don't be put off, I'm sure you've got a lot to contribute with your skills :D

Without getting into an argument and having to explain every action a mod takes or doesn't take...

Had I (or any of the other mods) been aware that the items were for sale concurrently elsewhere the post would have been removed as per rule 5, as there is no room for misinterpretation.
Offloading surplus stock can be a grey area so is to be decided on a post by post basis.

If someone reports a post it (thank you) will be investigated, but again the above was not reported as being on sale elsewhere but was looked into and no action was required as it was deemed, by me anyway, in the spirit of the forum as the OP is not a trader or trying to offload last weeks haul of tat from the car boot.
Selling for a profit by the way is not against the rules.

We try to apply the rules fairly and equally and sometimes we may get it wrong but in the above case (eBay infraction, now remedied not withstanding) no problem.
cheers

Nev - Genuine question but how is off loading surplus stock a grey area for example If I purchase a case (12) of say glue for £60 keep two for myself and sell the remainder at £8 each on here are you saying that's ok ?

Would just be nice to have some clarification as members have left this forum for having similar posts removed .

P.s I've still not mentioned what post I was complaining about :wink:

nev":218bhpqp said:
Without getting into an argument and having to explain every action a mod takes or doesn't take...
Offloading surplus stock can be a grey area so is to be decided on a post by post basis.

We try to apply the rules fairly and equally and sometimes we may get it wrong but in the above case (eBay infraction, now remedied not withstanding) no problem.
cheers

Last word from me on the subject.
If we had to word every rule so that there was absolutely no room for for misinterpretation and pedantry there'd be multiple pages of legalese for each one.
The offloading rule was put in place because of one or two individuals taking the michael and obviously trading. As stated above they are looked into individually and actioned accordingly.
As for members leaving, If someone wants to throw their handbag because they don't agree with a decision thats their choice, we dont kick 'em out.

Back