Mother in laws death questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi my mother in law die about six weeks ago the question is she lived in a council house after she died there was mention she had aspestosis so she was sent to coroner who took weeks to tell us what she died of which was lung cancer , well we all want to go from her funeral to go from her house which we have not given back yet but when my brother in law contacted the council offices to tell them she had died and we would be giving the keys back after the funeral, she said we would owe the six weeks rent until we give the keys back .
Can they chase us for the rent which is about £700 .
Another question
Is can we pay to get my mother in laws medical records ,or can pursue the coroner as death cert says not a lot it says something about non percific lung cancer .
I will be very grateful for any help with this matter
Phil

My mother was in sheltered housing and when she died we were allowed a month to vacate it but had to continue paying the rent. We were also responsible for the utility bills until they were cut off.
Likewise any pensions etc received are stopped at date of death. Any monies received after this date have to be repaid.
Sorry about your loss.

Rod

They can't chase you personally, they are chasing the estate, that is who owes the money. If your MIL had no money then you are not obliged to pay anything.

Sorry for your loss. Hope your wife is as well as well can be at this time.

I think they will chase the rent.

I rang council when I got married to inform them of changes. They asked for wedding date. A few days later I receievd a bill. They had cancelled my single person's council tax discount and wanted the extra 25% back for the weeks since the wedding!!

Just remembered - I think there are some books available in regular shops like Waterstones and Smiths. They go through all this sort of stuff - from cars and insurance to tax. Maybe try your library or local bookshop. I've heard that they are really helpful.

Thanks to everyone for reply's
My wife is not taking it well we live 120 miles away, spent a week with mum when she was in hospital then they sent her home, her mum has always been fit an healthy at the age of 92 an still going strong anyway the family all talked it through and because we had spent a week with her in hospital it was decided we would go home and her sister would take over for a week then we would go back the next week Wednesday to Wednesday an unfortunately she died on the Saturday but it was a short illness from the time she was diagnosed was only three weeks which in away is a blessing .
We will be having her funeral on the 30th of October it will be big occasion as she was very well loved my wife will be devastated it is going to be a hard time to get over she has always been there
All the best Phil & chris

Back