Table restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.pearson

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
OK sit comfy, time for another story lol

My Dad died about 14 months ago & my Mum has finally decided that she can't manage the house on her own & is moving to a bungalow in a retirement complex. While clearing out the garage we came across a table that was apparently my Grandfathers & when he died my Mum took it with the intention of trying to do something with it. She never got round to it & it was now doing to be going to the local Dump.
Rather than throw it out I have taken it & would like to try & restore it so she can have it back as something that looks nice & is usable once again.

Problem is that I know nothing about furniture restoration & haven't got a clue where to start, not sure if there had been much glue used when it was made because once I had taken the top off it sort of fell apart lol, that I can fix but have no idea how to go about cleaning up the legs/base as its all just small spindles which are going to be a nightmare if it all has to be sanded.

table leg.jpgtable x bits.jpg

You should not need to do much if any sanding. From the way the finish has 'beaded' in some areas it looks to me as though it had been coated with crystal varnish. You can scrub this off with meths and number 2 wire wool or a red scotch bright pad. You may have to go over it several times. When you have it to where you want it you will then need to decide if you want to stain it or keep it the natural colour. If you do stain I would guess a 'golden or antique pine' would suit it best. To finish you could varnish it or use a danish oil.

Yeah
absolutely save it….looks great….
not a fan of varnish anymore…plenty of good oil based products out there…..i quite like Sikkens products, if I can get it….
I would never use water based stuff…….
all I’ve ever come across is rubbish..apart from a water based rubber roof sealant I found / came recommended here…

Back