Thomas Jefferson's Book Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
Or at least how I drew it in SketchUp. I've still got to do the plan and buy the wood but the hard part is done.

click on the picture
Design. Click. Build.

What do you think of lubricating the spinny bits with beef tallow? That's likely to be right for the period of the piece. :D

Interesting. Who was Thomas Jefferson and what is the significance of the book stand?

wizer":3rgkhqs4 said:
.... Who was Thomas Jefferson .....?
You weren't expecting any invites from friends over the pond by any chance were you Tom :shock: :lol:

Who was Thomas Jefferson?

I should have thought of that ahead of time. :roll: What do they teach in schools?

The book stand was used by Mr Jefferson to hold the reference books he used when he was studying and/or writing.

We were not taught any American history at school, well not up to the penultimate year. I left after that ;)

wizer":2vvsccjy said:
Interesting. Who was Thomas Jefferson and what is the significance of the book stand?

Good Lord, Tom! :shock: Even I learned that when I was a kid (...admittedly, from a PC game - Day of the Tentacle! :oops: :wink:)

Dave is the one in the Cabinet a Monticello the original do you know, if so have you seen it in the flesh.

Tom - our history too.
Boston Tea Party? George Washington?
American War of Independence - which we lost!
etc etc

Thomas Jefferson was a very cultured and intelligent person with many talents. As an ally of France he did however help trigger off the 2nd War with us in 1812 when we burnt down a good part of Washington!

Rod

Yeh, It honestly was never taught in our history lessons. The Romans, Tudors, Normans, etc, etc up to the second world war. But nothing that related to America, IIRC.

They probably left out that part of your history on purpose. :lol:

Did you get any French history? Maybe something about André Jacob Roubo?

4360870105_f200ba6143.jpg

This is his design. Made from a single piece of wood.

I'd like a little look at the joinery if that's ok Dave.

waterhead37":3f746r7h said:
Dave,

I like that design, I think I will make one! care to send me the SU model? (Being lazy here :wink: )

How would you make those joints Chris?

I'm not Chris. And boy is he glad of that! I'd chop out the waste in the hinge area with a chisel, saw down the length as if resawing and then, from what I understand, a very thin knife will remove the little webs of wood holding it together.

Tom,

I think I am going to do more or less as Dave has suggested. However, I want to have an idea of how I handle the short grain problem in the Z section before starting. If I had a piece of elm, it would probably work best, as it stands, I am contemplating some sort of strengthening dowel inserts.

So it's essentially one plank of wood with the joinery keeping it together whilst releasing it to 'hinge'? The two parts are 'locked' together aren't they? i.e you can't make the two parts separately?

Latest posts

Back