The infamous leather pony

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
As an experienced noob (dad DIYer trying to get into hand tools) I ask a lot of stupid questions on here, and get a lot of very patient, awesome answers, for which I'm internally grapefruit.

And so, in order to show that I'm not just some gobby silly person, and do actually do stuffs, I am posting my recently finished Leather Pony project. Before anyone mentions gimp masks and lederhosen, I should point out that this device is really just a clamp to hold leatherwork projects during stitching, and is nowhere near as "special interest" as the name suggests.

The highly-UKW-active among you will notice that, despite getting some great advice on hinges, I simply couldn't source anything appropriate, and as this is not some piece of show furniture, I just went along with my original craptastic whack-a-big-hinge on it plan.

The leather pony is constructed from oak (the thick upright block - reclaimed from a double-glazed door) and ash, sourced from Wentworth Timber Centre showroom for something like £5. The jaws are lined with some leather offcuts. Oh, and a craptastic brass hinge that was something like £4. So, £9 or thereabouts? Posh versions of these have a screw clamp built in, but for versatility I'm just going to use a ratcheting bar clamp. I may build something in to handle this based on my experience of using the thing.

Go easy on me, this is literally the first thing I've made out of something other than MDF, ply or pine!

LeatherPony01.jpg

LeatherPony02.jpg

LeatherPony03.jpg

LeatherPony04.jpg

The final photo shows the thing at a jaunty angle to demonstrate the fact that a couple of 15mm x 5mm circular neodynium magnets were rebated into one jaw, and a couple of slightly larger rectangular metal blocks rebated into the other. I had wondered if this would be enough to apply enough for clamping pressure as the pippers are really hard to pull apart! However, they're not really, once the two 2mm thick leather faces are taken into account. However, all was not in vain as they are easily strong enough to stop the thing from flopping apart with a horrible clack if you stand it up or move it around, so this is great while the thing doesn't have a built in clamp, and works well enough to hold small jobs in the jaws while you reach for or adjust the clamp.

LeatherPony05.jpg

Attachments

• LeatherPony01.jpg
    LeatherPony01.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,400
  • LeatherPony02.jpg
    LeatherPony02.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,400
  • LeatherPony03.jpg
    LeatherPony03.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,400
  • LeatherPony04.jpg
    LeatherPony04.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,400
  • LeatherPony05.jpg
    LeatherPony05.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,400
Looks pretty neat.

If you really needed more clamping force, I'm sure you could retrofit a simple threaded rod with a wingnut, cylinder and a couple of nuts with washers somewhere along the arms... maybe even put in several holes for different positions, for versatility.
There's a lot you could do with this and you've left it open enough to allow furture tweaking, so definitely a good job IMO.

I've learnt something new and that looks well and precisely made, good job. One idea that might help (?) is to drill some holes for dowels in the base, glue the dowels into a larger board or clampable bit of mdf etc if you are going to use it near a vice. Even the larger board on it's own might help with stability indoors on a table etc. Can easily seperate them for storage. Then again maybe that's not how you use it at all and hold it between your knees or summat while sitting! If so I'll be quiet.

Bm101":18mxd9hw said:
I've learnt something new and that looks well and precisely made, good job. One idea that might help (?) is to drill some holes for dowels in the base, glue the dowels into a larger board or clampable bit of mdf etc if you are going to use it near a vice. Even the larger board on it's own might help with stability indoors on a table etc. Can easily seperate them for storage. Then again maybe that's not how you use it at all and hold it between your knees or summat while sitting! If so I'll be quiet.

Yeah, as you've guessed, the basic idea is that the base extended left and right, and those panels go under your thighs. Or you can use those for clamping.

Attachments

• FW2W9COHXG6TB0E.RECT2100.jpg
    FW2W9COHXG6TB0E.RECT2100.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,364
Ahhh, makes sense. Would be quite awkward to work at a bench or table I suppose.
Is it for your use DM? I made a sheath (you would have to be generous to call it 'sheath' tbh but it's fit for purpose if not pretty) a while back. I enjoyed doing the wet forming and so on, not so much the stitching but I'll try it again at some point, this would have been handy. Like to see pics if you have any leather stuff you've done and are willing to share.

Cheers
Chris

Edit. Had a dig through the x- files.
ttcnCEm.jpg

AndyT might possibly recognise those strips of wood lol. Make Do and Mend! :D

Bm101":5i65cbnj said:
Ahhh, makes sense. Would be quite awkward to work at a bench or table I suppose.
Is it for your use DM? I made a sheath (you would have to be generous to call it 'sheath' tbh but it's fit for purpose if not pretty) a while back. I enjoyed doing the wet forming and so on, not so much the stitching but I'll try it again at some point, this would have been handy. Like to see pics if you have any leather stuff you've done and are willing to share.

Cheers
Chris

Edit. Had a dig through the x- files.
ttcnCEm.jpg

It is for my use. I intend to make a chisel roll for my ridiculous collection of non-matching boot sale chisels odments. I have decided that the only "set" I will try to complete and own is the Marples Shatterproofs (Rhubarb and Custards as Phil.P calls 'em), some of which were left to me by my old man. They hold a great edge and I seem to be able to whack em like there's no tommorow with my Thor Soft Faced Hammer (31.712r) like Thor himself, but without the think I'm hitting shattering. I'm certainly not badly off, but my budget doesn't extend to sourcing a genuine "National Collection Of Chisels" so I am happy having the odd Stormont, Sorby etc. that takes my eye, and I quite like the variety!

Anyway, I'm all kitted up now, with a £40 leatherworking tools collection from Amazon, some bits and bobs given to me by the MIL (mother-in-law - I should probably stop using that acronym), this leather pony for £9, and a big roll of leather from the on-site remnants shop at Thomas Ware (£40) and I'm currently down about £90 with nothing to show for it. I'm going to do a few minor little projects just to test the water before creating the Chisel Roll Of Doom (CROD) which will probably rubbish. I will post anyway, when done, for amusement purposes, but I've not idea when I'll get it done due to over ambitious project list :)

BTW, I think you could easily work at a bench/desk with one, but it would have to be very much shorter. The height for mine was very, very carefully set up to take into account a really lazy slumping posture.

phil.p":2kkfa5qf said:
... the MIL (mother-in-law - I should probably stop using that acronym) ...

Better than the anagram - woman hitler. :D

Good grief, it's true. Well, they're both skating on thin ice if bought up in polite society - UKW works in "workshop humour" terms so it's safe I assume.

Blimey. Fair play to you! I just went at it with an awl, a big curved needle I found from my Mrs' nan's old sewing box after I snapped about 9 normal needles, some waxed thread and a few bits of untanned veg leather from ebay. Total cost: No Idea. About £8? That Amazon kit looks well handy though. If you're a beginner too then one tip if you'll excuse it from me. What ever you do. If you heat the leather in warm water. Have patience. Never let the water get near boiling. There's a very fine line between wet forming in warm water and boiled leather. Boiled leather is hard but very brittle. It cracks. DAMHIKT :oops: Wet formed leather bends. There's a fine line. You're going hot bath temps here at most. The temps that will make you hesitate about sitting down too quickly in the bath are just about the limit from my little experience. If you're not wet forming then disregard all the above and crack on fella. Good luck!

Back