The Essential Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Might treat myself to a new book come payday, 'The Essential Woodworker' by Wearing is a likely victim. Any thoughts on this choice? good bad or ugly...

Cheers.

I don't rate it myself. Too many jigs and fiddling with routers. Not enough orthodox trad woodwork and some stuff simply wrong. I get the impression he was never a full time working woodworker. Could be wrong.
Joyce wasn't either, but he managed to produce a classic "The Technique of Furniture Making" a much better book. Often overpriced 2nd hand but you can get it for a fiver or so if you hang on.

PS the difference is that the Wearing book is mostly from his own head but Joyce is massively researched.

I would definitely recommend this book as being useful. Not so sure about the router comment as large sections of the book are dedicated to the set up and use of hand tools for standard applications.

The book from classic hand tools also benefits from being published by Lost Art Press and has additional photos which aren't in the original. I found the diagrams in the sections on table construction and carcass construction to be really clear and helpful.

There are lots of helpful tips which I believe are derived from him actually doing these things. For example when morticing or plowing a groove on a bench with no stops you can clamp the workpiece to an off cut protruding from the vice allowing you completed access to the top edge of the workpiece without it slipping down in the vice under the load. (This makes more sense when you see the picture and diagram).

All in all I think it is helpful and each time I pick it up I seem to learn something new.

Just had a look, yes I was wrong about the router & jigs - must be his other book.
But I still don't rate it. One detail he gets very wrong is the screw into slot at the back of a drawer bottom. This is a bad detail but this hasn't stopped hundreds of woodworkers copying it!
I suppose it's OK but don't rely on it - be sceptical he's only a teacher and get some other books preferably older ones.

Jacob":2tvsulqn said:
Just had a look, yes I was wrong about the router & jigs - must be his other book.
But I still don't rate it. One detail he gets very wrong is the screw into slot at the back of a drawer bottom. This is a bad detail but this hasn't stopped hundreds of woodworkers copying it!
I suppose it's OK but don't rely on it - be sceptical he's only a teacher and get some other books preferably older ones.

My opinion is that all woodworkers should read books with the view that they chew on the meat and spit out the bones. Unfortunately the less experience you have the harder this is to do.

For me this book has enough very useful and helpful information to be worth a read and a purchase.

Whilst I'm not familiar with that particular book, I owe Bob Wearing a massive debt of thanks. His writings and books on jigs got me going. Yes, OK he was a schoolteacher rather than a jobbing woodie, but his thinking has shaped the thinking of lots of people, not just me.
Unless he wrote a complete lemon, there must be stuff in there that is of value, even if it is not in the same camp as Joyce.
S

I've always rated Robert Wearings books as very good. I don't have that particular one but I do have another which has been very useful. I met him at a show many years ago where he had a lot of his jigs and other stuff on display and it was beautifully made.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Ok so its a bit more yay than nay, I'll order it and have a read. If anybodys interested (???) I'll post up my thoughts on it once read. Looks like some future reading might be Joyce or I might spend out on Sellers books.

Cheers all.

I've been butchering bits of wood, on and off, for nigh on thirty years, but I only discovered 'The Essential Woodworker' last year. I really, REALLY wish I'd found it thirty years ago. It's the best 'how to' book on cabinetmaking basics I've ever read. The first part is very good on setting up and using bench planes, the subsequent chapters cover the basic cabinetmaking constructions of mortice-and-tenon frame (stool, coffee table, etc), and carcase, then such things as drawer construction, fitting cabinet hinges and so on. It doesn't answer every question (which book does?), but this is the nearest I've found to comprehensive, straightforward, practical instruction in the basics. No flowery language, good sketches and diagrams, and the new LAP reprint is a beautifully produced book in it's own right. Ignore Jacob - it's well worth the price.

I agree, I was advised to get it by some people on this site and really haven't regretted it!

Really clear and straight forward

John

Latest posts

Back