Tap and die recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I'm looking for a metric tap and die set, new as its a gift. Ideally covering M 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 and possibly 3 and 12. Though it will be occasional use don't want something of questionable quality, sets made of cheese not required. I haven't decided on a budget, I can alter that depending on what you get for your money, though not going to be spending hundreds. Any recommendations?

Mark

Hi

Go for Dormer or Presto - both top quality and available at substantial discount on a certain auction site.

Probably have to buy them as individual items though

Regards Mick

Yes the Dormer E500 series taps are quite nice and OK for most materials though not cheap, as set with suitable dies etc would be

M3-M10 = £672 +VAT
M5-M12 = £392 + VAT

EDIT, Just checked the MSC weekly flyer and they have 40% off the sets

jasonB":2x9bscfb said:
Yes the Dormer E500 series taps are quite nice and OK for most materials though not cheap, as set with suitable dies etc would be

M3-M10 = £672 +VAT
M5-M12 = £392 + VAT

EDIT, Just checked the MSC weekly flyer and they have 40% off the sets

That's a discounted price? :shock:

Where do you shop? Harrods? You can pick up the E500 series sets for much less than that.

I bought a set from Tracy Tools many years ago and apart from one I broke (silly boy) are still going strong. I opted for HSS rather than carbon steel though. Look at 'Always Available' from their menu on the left and then use the option selector to choose HSS or whatever you want. They may be from several different manufacturers but they will alll be reliable makes. Don't forget to buy a suitable tap holder :)

Tony Comber

MMUK":3qqd3oiw said:
That's a discounted price? :shock:

Where do you shop? Harrods? You can pick up the E500 series sets for much less than that.

The prices I quoted are the full price, so 40% off those.

Got any links to these cheaper suppliers?

Can't see any sets there, at least the search does not throw any up and none in their catalogue. Their individual taps are only a few pence cheaper than the source I quote though, but my source is cheaper when on offer.

J

jasonB":2nq49srr said:
Can't see any sets there, at least the search does not throw any up and none in their catalogue. Their individual taps are only a few pence cheaper than the source I quote though, but my source is cheaper when on offer.

J

Really you need an account with them (I get a massive discount off web and catalogue prices, on some things up to 65%). They do monthly offers and the Dormer E500 set M5-M12 was on offer a couple of months ago for, IIRC, £242+VAT

See if you can track down your local Snap-On rep and ask for a price. The reps usually visit large car dealerships on a frequent basis.

Worth a shot / phone call. You could even ring your local Ford/Vauxhall main dealer, ask for the workshop controller - then ask for the Snap-On rep's number.

I would also consider what material are you intending to thread? If soft(ish) then a set of high carbon taps and dies would do, take your time, and lubricate the work, and all should be well.
If steel threading is your intention then perhaps the extra expense of a HSS set will be needed. Also make sure the set you get has all three taps per given size, very cheap Chiwanese sets will only have a No2 and plug tap, as they are mainly for thread cleaning rather than cutting.

G

Um, as a none metal worker it seems there is more to consider than I first realised.

So for steel, it seems HSS is best, softer stuff then CS will suffice?

Can someone explain why 3 taps per size are required. I'm talking about cutting fresh threads not cleaning old ones.

You'll gather I've never needed to use them before

The dormers are too expensive for me I'm afraid. I like the look of the set roger links to. I also like the idea of buying what I need as I go along but feel this will be a more expensive route as per tracytools prices if I end up with several different sizes

Thanks for the input so far

Mark

Hi

The three types of tap and their uses are:

Taper (1) - This has a tapered lead in section to allow the tap to easily begin cutting, (start).

Second (2) - This has a much shorter tapered lead and is used to cut the thread to full depth in through holes.

Plug (3) - This has virtually no tapered lead and is used to finish the thread to full depth in blind holes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threading_(manufacturing)

Taps.png

I would still recommend buying 'quality' tooling, a snapped tap can be very difficult to remove. If you do not have a need to buy a set then go for individual sizes as you need them.

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Taps.png
    Taps.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,641
I've hedged my bets and bought sizes as I've needed them for the important jobs and ones that I think are quite common and I'm likely to use again, I went for the Sherwood hss ones from Cromwell which have the three tap types for a given size and from memory were about £15 to £20 per size, and then have a cheapy set from Screwfix that I use occasionally for odd sizes where I don't think its worth buying a better version.

It may actually be better not to bother with the three versions of tap per size and just get the first and second tapers, they may work out cheaper, unless you think you are likely to need to thread blind holes ?

There may be better value around than the ones I got but I picked them up locally when I needed them quickly, and they seem to me to be decent quality and have been used several times with good success.

Cheers, Paul

MMUK":1odguo60 said:
jasonB":1odguo60 said:

J

Really you need an account with them (I get a massive discount off web and catalogue prices, on some things up to 65%). They do monthly offers and the Dormer E500 set M5-M12 was on offer a couple of months ago for, IIRC, £242+VAT

And the MSC offer price I posted was £235+VAT (392-40%) and no need for an account. So looks like I'm still shopping in the right place :D

Personally I would not go for the ones in Rogers link as they are not split dies so you do not have the option of adjusting the fit and it also means on the larger sizes you have to make the cut in one pass which can take a bit of effort. I'd rather go for split dies that can be adjusted

I bought a cheapo HSS Clarke one and when the break replace with better quality ones. The case is quite useful :).
Another thing with the Clarke ones are they are also not consistent in size - I had to work through all the 3 types to achieve the correct tap size!

For my clock making I acquired a few Dormer, Presto etc BA ones with my S/H lathe. I also bought a S/H set of Warrior ones with a few missing. Although Carbon they cut really well. A few of the smaller sizes were missing and I've replaced them with HSS Presto ones (which because of their tiny size are relatively cheap?)

Rod

Latest posts

Back