Tap and die recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harbo":1je8gezh said:
Another thing with the Clarke ones are they are also not consistent in size - I had to work through all the 3 types to achieve the correct tap size!

They're not supposed to be. You need to use them in order - Taper, Second and finally, Plug. Each different tap cuts a greater amount of thread as you go and you don't get a full thread cut until you've used the Plug tap.

May I remind everyone that the OP said "occasional use" and "not going to be spending hundreds" :roll:

MMUK":z84b4iaq said:
Each different tap cuts a greater amount of thread as you go and you don't get a full thread cut until you've used the Plug tap.

Hi

That's not my understanding - all types of tap have the full thread form for some degree of their length, the type of tap determines when the full thread form begins.

Taps.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Taps.png
    Taps.png
    144 KB · Views: 754
Sorry MMUK - I read your reply as you had to use all three taps in order before the full thread depth was achieved :oops:

Regards Mick

Spindle":2c8t8t41 said:
Sorry MMUK - I read your reply as you had to use all three taps in order before the full thread depth was achieved :oops:

Regards Mick

My bad, probably didn't explain myself clearly, I meant full depth of the thread pitch.

Well what I meant was I was tapping a through hole to take a 10M bolt.
It wasn't until I had used the plug that I achieved the correct thread - and that was after threading the other two all the way through.

I know they differ in threading length but they should be the same diameter?

Rod

Harbo":2m64nwn6 said:

Rod

Not quite, the Taper only cuts about 40% of the pitch depth, the Second cuts it to about 80% depth and the Plug cuts the thread pitch to full depth.

By pitch depth, I mean the depth across the width of the hole, if you follow me?

If you look at each tap in turn, you'll notice that the "teeth" get deeper from Taper to Second and Second to Plug.

Just a long shot, but if the OP is only going to use the taps ocassionaly, what about buying one of the sets Lidls (and presumably Aldi) sell every so often to see which sizes are needed more often and then buy decent ones of those. The other thing that appears unknown, are these for cutting threads from scratch or thread restoration. If the former then a set of appropriate drills needs to be factored into the costs. The LIDL sets are to German DIN standards and are fine for cleaning out old threads.

Tony Comber

shipbadger":2wei4rhq said:
........... If the former then a set of appropriate drills needs to be factored into the costs. .........
Tony Comber
The set I recommended has the appropriate drills included.

MMUK":1yscyk6g said:
Harbo":1yscyk6g said:

Rod

Not quite, the Taper only cuts about 40% of the pitch depth, the Second cuts it to about 80% depth and the Plug cuts the thread pitch to full depth.

By pitch depth, I mean the depth across the width of the hole, if you follow me?

If you look at each tap in turn, you'll notice that the "teeth" get deeper from Taper to Second and Second to Plug.

Really only applicable to sequential or serialtaps, which you do need all three to get the full depth engagement. For the majority of hand taps if you are cutting a through thread in thin material it can be done with a taper tap only.

serial taps explained

J

They are for cutting new threads

The split dies I assume are tightened/slackened by the holder to cut in stages until final fit is achieved ??? How important is this and if very, why are they made not split?

Cheers

Mark

The plain circular and hexagonal dies are generally regarded as suitable for cleaning up existing threads that may be damaged or rusty.

The split ones are best for cutting new threads, for this reason they tend to have a lead taper much like a taper tap of two ot three turns of thread which make sthem easier to start. As I said above they can initially be opened up which makes cutting the larger thread sizes easier and then tightened down to give a final cut that and that can be adjusted to give a suitable fit. You will likely find that mass produced nuts are a slacker fit than if going into a tapped hole so your male threda can be adjusted accordingly.

J

jasonB":1pgf5tr3 said:
MMUK":1pgf5tr3 said:
Harbo":1pgf5tr3 said:

Rod

Really only applicable to sequential or serialtaps, which you do need all three to get the full depth engagement. For the majority of hand taps if you are cutting a through thread in thin material it can be done with a taper tap only.

serial taps explained

J

+1.

Incidently, I find that sequential taps are a pain in the ar*e to use. I think it's because the taper tap doesn't "engage" with the hole as good on account of its reduced outside diameter. I won't be buying serial taps again.

DTR":15adz286 said:
Incidently, I find that sequential taps are a pain in the ar*e to use. I think it's because the taper tap doesn't "engage" with the hole as good on account of its reduced outside diameter. I won't be buying serial taps again.

I think the main problem is that for serial taps the ideal tapping drill size should be smaller than the conventional taper tap tapping drill size. I don't know where those drill sizes are listed though - Anyone know?

Jon

Back