Sycamore Bowl. "For Critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Foweraker

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece is turned from Spalted Sycamore.
210mm x 80mm x 3mm thick.

DSC01407.jpg

Hi George, it's rare that I like spalted wood. But this is a winner for me. The form is pleasing too. I'll go along with the others and say that 3mm is very skill full but too thin for my liking. I like bowls like this to have a bit of chunk to them.

Hi all.
I dont normaly like thin bowls i usualy make them quite chunky.
With this bit of wood making it thin seemed the right thing to do it is very light.
Thank you for commenting.

Regards George

Very pretty bowl George. I must admit I, like the others do bowls over about 6" a bit thicker for use but no reason why this one shouldn't be practical as it's shape should give it strength.

pete

Not easy to keep the thickness so even on spalted stock, must have caught it just right in the maturity stakes and been a wiz with the tool technique, and very conservative with the abrasives.

Designed for the more refined class of fruit. :lol:

CHJ":1u808v1e said:
Not easy to keep the thickness so even on spalted stock, must have caught it just right in the maturity stakes and been a wiz with the tool technique, and very conservative with the abrasives.

Designed for the more refined class of fruit. :lol:

Grapes perhaps? I suspect that it is stronger than it looks though so maybe tangerines

Pete

I really like this bowl. For someone like me with limited experience I look at this piece and wish I had the skill to produce it.

Thanks for filling these forums with lots of visual inspiration!

My wife took one of my early attempts at an hollow form into her works to show her friends.
Most of the replies were "What's that used for"
When she expalined that it was to be used as an ornament,most still couldn't didn't get it :? :roll:

Great looking bowl by the way George. :D
Nicely turned and finished.
The wood looks like it has a marble effect to it.

I really like that approach, the wood itself is good enough to be ornamental.

I never really have an idea what i'm making never mind a purpose for it!

I think that is why my work at the moment is turning out 'confused'. I'm trying to let the wood guide me and see what I end up with but I really should be putting more thought into it.

Good work as always George, a worthwhile thing to do with your time.

Back