Steve Maskery The Complete Bandsaw Workshop Essentials 4+5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
99% of the time we in the UK have to make do with very shoddy and almost completely useless manuals that come with our woodworking machines.
The thing that drives me mad is the very same machine with a different paint job and or name, in other words a clone that is sold in another country often comes with a huge manual compared to ours. Take the JET/Axminter 54A planer for instance, this came with a 12 page manual, yet when I let my fingers do the walking I found the US Powermatic 54A and I was able download a 60 page masterpiece that told me every thing I wanted to know.

Sadly there was no exception made when I purchased the Axminster Plus AP4300T/1 bandsaw, and although I have looked I cannot at the moment find a replacement for the 6 page manual I got with this machine (it is 12 but only 6 are any good).

Anyway enough ranting and onto Steve's DVD's. I will start with the faults/complaints, of which there is only one. The Complete Bandsaw is rather misleading. Why? because it does not do either Steve or the DVD's justice. They really should be called 'The Ultimate Bandsaw', because if you start with a half decent bandsaw and follow Steve's tips that is what you will end up with.
Steve comes over as a natural presenter, and looks like he has been doing it for years. His tips and instructions of which there are many are clear and easy to understand.

I would highly recommend that if you are buying a new bandsaw, a further £25 for these 2 dvd's is a very worth while investment.

Cheers

Mike

Mike, I would suggest that unless you really know what you're doing with a bandsaw then Steve's DVD's are essential watching.

Steve, have you ever thought of approaching a manufacturer and seeing if they fancy bundling your DVD's with their machines - would seem a good idea to me.

Very good idea!

I find Steve's presentation has exactly the right tempo being easily watchable and feeding well thought through information at an absorbable speed.

Steve - drop me a line if you need names and numbers.

Must say i've found Steve's band saw DVD s very useful too - it's not new/unique stuff, but it's very nicely presented and makes a concise single source for most set up info.

I've found out the same on manuals Mike. It seems that minimalist manuals don't really fly in the US, and that quite often the US importer gets stuck in.

Felder US have stuff for Hammer machines for example that isn't in the stock manuals. Some of the forums are good too, the Felder Owner's Group has some good set up manuals put together by members.

ian

+1 for the Steve's DVD's : I went the whole hog and got the set of five. The wealth of ideas you get is wonderful and thats just looking at his tool racks:D

+10 on the issue with manuals:

I bought a new Startrite 502E and the manual which covers the 602E and 352E is 30 pages of which 6 can be regarded as somewhat useful.

In addition the paltry instructions that are provided dont all match the machine.

The instructions as to how to adjust the guides are wrong, as can be seen from here:
http://ircoha.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Startrite-502E/13640943_mwL2q#995601757_5KQjE

In addition the actual machine has some parts missing

I am in discussion with Record on the matter and the missing parts are being shipped to me but the whole experience has left a very sour taste with such an expensive machine

In closing, the link above includes a shot of the bottom guide/thrust bearing assembly: anyone any thoughts on a better/after-market thrust: when I watch Steve use his band-saw, am hypnotized by the spinning top thrust bearing on his Scheppach:D

Carlow52":vcfy91dm said:
+1 for the Steve's DVD's : I went the whole hog and got the set of five. The wealth of ideas you get is wonderful and that's just looking at his tool racks:D

I bought a new Startrite 502E and the manual which covers the 602E and 352E is 30 pages of which 6 can be regarded as somewhat useful.

In addition the paltry instructions that are provided don't all match the machine.

The instructions as to how to adjust the guides are wrong, as can be seen from here:
http://ircoha.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Startrite-502E/13640943_mwL2q#995601757_5KQjE

I am in discussion with Record on the matter and the missing parts are being shipped to me but the whole experience has left a very sour taste with such an expensive machine

In closing, the link above includes a shot of the bottom guide/thrust bearing assembly: anyone any thoughts on a better/after-market thrust: when I watch Steve use his band-saw, am hypnotized by the spinning top thrust bearing on his Scheppach:D

It's good to hear that you and Ian agree re the manuals. Because no one else moans about them I thought that I must be on my own :roll:

As for your guide/thrust bearing, I think Steve is your man for that sort of info. I know that Axminster do/used to do upgraded sets, but I think that they were more for the smaller bandsaws like the Elektra Beckum 315/317 etc. You may even be able to get a set from Startrite which are fitted to their bigger machines.

Ian wrote;

I've found out the same on manuals Mike. It seems that minimalist manuals don't really fly in the US, and that quite often the US importer gets stuck in.

Your spot on there. Our cousins across the pond do not put up with the rubbish that we accept. The reason being they have got such a huge market the customer is always right.

Cheers

Mike

They really should be called 'The Ultimate Bandsaw', because if you start with a half decent bandsaw and follow Steve's tips that is what you will end up with.

This quote says it all EXACTLY as I see it.

My little DeWalt made me feel like an amateur amongst you guys with yer big Bastardos (sic)....but once I had completed the step by step, crystal clear instructions, so well presented by Steve, it turned into a pro machine and now I only need to build the fence he suggests to really get the most out of it.

For the sake of a few squids I have saved a fortune chasing the slope that I didn't need to ride...heck...I have a hard time keeping me skis on the plane and screwdriver slopes without getting a full concert worth of bandsaws (geddit!!) :D

Don'tcha just lurve collective nouns!!

Thanks Mike!

Jim

Carlow52":2fnv915r said:

In addition the paltry instructions that are provided dont all match the machine.

Oh deep joy, - I've just bought a 352 but because it didn't have a blade I haven't yet been able to set up the guides etc.

I also have a couple of (minor) parts missing and am waiting for Startrite to get back to me.

Are you suggesting the thrust guide is inadequate or just the instructions?

Just to make sure that I'm not too far off thread I'll be looking at Steve's dvd's fairly soon just to make sure I've got everything sussed (hope he's changed that shirt :D ).

Guys
Thank you very much indeed for the above comments. At a time when not everyone in the world appears to value what I have to offer (!) this gladdens the heart.
It's very much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

We often see complaints of poor service but praise should be given for those that deserve it. That man Maskery must be bionic! I ordered some of his DVDs and the despatch confirmation email was timed for ten minutes after the order acknowledgment. Only once before have I had that swift a service and that was from an ebay supplier who supplies webbing, slings and so forth.

Tony Comber

shipbadger":1074t6lg said:
We often see complaints of poor service but praise should be given for those that deserve it. That man Maskery must be bionic! I ordered some of his DVDs and the despatch confirmation email was timed for ten minutes after the order acknowledgment. Only once before have I had that swift a service and that was from an ebay supplier who supplies webbing, slings and so forth.

Tony Comber

I agree Tony, although I ordered mine over a bank holiday weekend, when Steve actually posted it I had it 24 hours later.

Jim wrote;

For the sake of a few squids I have saved a fortune chasing the slope that I didn't need to ride...heck...I have a hard time keeping me skis on the plane and screwdriver slopes without getting a full concert worth of bandsaws (geddit!!)

Don'tcha just lurve collective nouns!!

Thanks Mike!

That's right Jim, if you do not know exactly what you are doing you could spend a huge amount of money on any machine to 'Get it running properly' But with a little nudge in the right direction from a couple of DVD's, you can as you say save a fortune. :D

Cheers

Mike

I've just order the whole set of 5 DVD's this afternoon. An hour later I have an email that they've been dispatched. I'm currently off work at the moment on paternity leave, so I'm really looking forward to watching them in the middle of the night when I'm up feeding my boy. :) Hopefully should see me through to the start of next week when I go back to work..... Then I've just got to find the time to get out to the workshop to put into practise what I will have watched and learnt.

Sam

It's been brought to my attention that some people are having trouble checking out. Clearly not everyone, but it means that the problem is not easy to track down.

If you've tried but given up in disgust, please email me, [email protected]. It would be really helpful to know whether you are using a PC or a Mac, and what Browser you were using when you had the problem.

If you are not having problems, great! :)

Thanks very much
Steve

Steve,
Is the typo in the email address essential
[email protected]

in the meantime
Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

:)

Thank you. That was just a typo in the above post, I wish the other was as easy to find and fix!

Ah, they don't write songs like that any more!

Cheers
Steve

I ordered the two bandsaw cds on Monday night and they arrived this morning. I don't have a bandsaw but I've ordered one and I want to get it right, both in terms of set-up and safety, from the start.

Thanks Steve, super service.

Brendan.

My set of all 5 DVD's arrived the very next morning in the post. Very happy so far and over half way through the first DVD. Already managed to grab half an hour in the workshop and started making the Saw Setting Gauge for my TS55. Haden't even tought about making a jig for that. Up until now, I have always measured and marked the stock, then a stanley knife blade on the mark at either end and put the rail up to that. Great work Steve. I'm looking forward to getting through all the DVD's.

Sam

PS - My checkout was fine. Using a PC with Windows 7 and Google Chrome.

white_sw":1lyuit6j said:
... started making the Saw Setting Gauge for my TS55. Haden't even tought about making a jig for that...

So you haven't been using it since 1937 then? Thank goodness for that! :)

white_sw":1lyuit6j said:
PS - My checkout was fine. Using a PC with Windows 7 and Google Chrome.

Good. I *think* all is well at the mo (although I've just made some more edit so I may have just cocked up everything....)

I'm glad you are happy.
S

jlawrence":3vnedvyl said:
Steve, have you ever thought of approaching a manufacturer and seeing if they fancy bundling your DVD's with their machines - would seem a good idea to me.

Sorry JL, I missed this.
Well I approached Ax but they politely turned me down. Something to do with a conflict of interest (I think they meant that it's inconvenient that I use an Xcalibur saw from Woodford). Record already have their own range of DVDs, so the only realistic option is to approach NMA, who distribute Scheppach. I've not had any dealings with the management there, although the couple of times I've had to call, I've been dealt with very well, if a little hurriedly, by Alan, their tech guru, who knows everything but is rushed off his feet. I get the distinct impression that NMA are, how shall I put this, defiantly (oops, there goes another one), I mean definitely, conservative. I ought to try though, I have nothing to lose. I seem to recall that I did send them a copy when I first released WE 4&5, but I didn't follow it up.

Thanks for the constructive suggestion. To you, too, Matthew.

S

Latest posts

Back