Stair Spindles, with a twist!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Findley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an interesting job arrive with me last week, to make 22 stair spindles to match an original. These, however, were not your everyday stair spindles, these were from a manor house in Cheshire and the originals were several hundred years old made of 3" square Oak!!

P9060036.JPG

I've done a similar job before but with out the twist, I've also done a bit of twisting before so this was just a case of combining the two.

I started off by getting in some 3" European Oak and preparing it into blanks of 520mm by 73mm square:

P9060042.JPG

I then did the turning work, leaving a tapered area for the twist:

P9070048.JPG

Then for the twist, all done by hand with files, rasps and abrasive. The first came out ok:

P9070052.JPG

So I carried on and after a full day of carving I'd got to here:

P9080026.JPG

P9080032.JPG

Another day and a half and here I am, with 22 spindles complete:

DSCF0340.JPG

The first twist took me an hour and a half to do, by the last one I had it down to 45 mins. The whole job took pretty much a full week, they are now all packed up and ready to head off to Cheshire to be installed. I hope to have a picture when they are all done.

Questions and comments welcome as always.

Cheers

Richard

That's amazing work, Richard. I'm full of admiration for someone who can hand carve 22 matching barley twists in seasoned oak in only a week!!!

Well done and - I hope they're paying you a very decent rate for that job.

Kym

`

"all done by hand with files rasps and abrasives....." how..? so quick..? :shock: :?: ......seriously.... i am amazed and impressed at the same time..!! and they all look identical too..!

when you say "by hand...." do you mean the 'hand' was guiding a machine....?? :lol:

Stunning.....

Nick

Exceptional Richard, I'll bet there will still be someone around in couple of centuries who runs his hand around those and wonders about the guy who made them.
The ability to do such hand copying is one thing, having the stamina to do it in production quantities and in a competitive timescale is another order of magnitude.

If I wore a hat, it'd be off to you Richard. Looking at those they aren't even a normal barley twist or spiral either. Definitely getting a name for yourself in this field by the sound of it and deservedly so.

Pete

If I had commissioned that job I would be absolutely delighted.
Super work!

Brendan.

Richard, amazing work, and all equal. I admire your turning and carving.
Can I hire you, for the stair-spindles of my staircase project :) .
Ad

Sheer brilliance there Richard :D
Did nt they want them staining and polishing? bit of light relief will look superb on those
Yellowbelly

:shock: :shock: Respect there Richard some fine talent on show there, seems a shame to stick em on a staircase :D
Steve

Just amazing................

Seeing your duplication on turned items is impressive, seeing duplicated twists, is just ..i'm giving up

Loz

Thanks for all of your kind words and comments.

It was certainly hard work but I enjoy the challenge (and the cheque hitting my bank!!)

I have been promised a picture when they are all fitted although I would guess it will be some time yet, you know how these "Grand designs" go!!

As for the finish, none was requested so none was added. I have no idea if they were originally stained this colour or if it is just what happens to Oak after a couple of hundred years!?

CHJ":2frvfca8 said:
I'll bet there will still be someone around in couple of centuries who runs his hand around those and wonders about the guy who made them.

It's funny Chas 'cos that's exactly what I did. I'd love to travel back in time and see how it was done back in the old days.

Thanks again, glad you enjoyed looking!

Richard

speechless - as someone said before
very nice work

do you sign your work? , makers mark an all that.

Back