Sash templates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Over in another thread, I mentioned that I had bought some sash templates, and Jacob asked for some pictures.

So, always ready to oblige (though the light was fading fast) here are a few:

This gives the scribing profile of an ovolo sash bar

IMG_4460.jpg

It's commercially made, by Turner of Sheffield. These things were made by plane makers and sold to match standard sash designs and sizes.

IMG_4452.jpg

This one looks similar at first but has a mitre cut at the end, instead of a scribe:

IMG_4453.jpg

It's marked with the profile and size:

IMG_4454.jpg

and the maker - in this case, Preston:

IMG_4456.jpg

This is an end view:

IMG_4457.jpg

I think that all of these would be used for the joint between glazing bars and the sash frame. Another type was used for internal crossing joints where one bar intersects another:

IMG_4458.jpg

This one is mitred both ends; there is also a scribed equivalent (sorry no photo).

There are some descriptions of these in Salaman's dictionary of woodworking tools and in Whelan's book on wooden planes, but I thought I might understand it better if I bought some and tried them out. I did also find an interesting article by Jane Rees here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3983/is_200403/ai_n9376454/?tag=content;col1 which frustratingly leaves out the pictures.

Anybody got any practical experience of these things?

Thanks BB - that reminds me of something I meant to post about last year, but forgot, so I'll hijack my own thread!

In Bath, there is a little museum dedicated to explaining how the place was built - The Building of Bath Collection - http://www.bath-preservation-trust.org.uk/?id=4 (NB - website has pictures of old tools!)

When I went there I took a few snaps - sorry about the reflections.

This is a display of sashmaking tools, including templates:

IMG_3804.jpg

and the captions:

IMG_3806.jpg

This shows a sticking board nearly hidden by a sash fillister, which is displayed the wrong way round:

IMG_3803.jpg

and here are a few more C18 tools, just because I liked them:

IMG_3805.jpg

I shall have to go back for a longer look and talk to the curators - meanwhile I recommend it to anyone who visits Bath and doesn't want to go shopping!

Interesting stuff. Will have to drop in one day. Have plan to visit the American Museum - so 2 birds one trip perhaps.

Latest posts

Back