Record Bandsaw BS300e - Squaring blade to table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have everything setup nicely now except for one thing. The blade is not square to the table when measuring from behind the blade, i.e 90 degrees to the trunnion. It's a good 5 degrees out. How do I correct this? I couldn't see anything in the manual. I guess there are 2 causes for this :

a) The table is indeed not sitting square to the blade
b) Either the top or bottom wheel has a tilt

Not sure how to check this as it's all relative.

Do I fix the table relative to the blade. Shims?
Or do I fix the blade relative to the table. Fiddle with the tilt?

I think its only critical if you intend to cut joints. Adding a pair of suitable thickness washers under the table between the trunnion should do it. I haven't cut joints on mine though so being a couple of degrees out hasn't been an issue for me so far.

Never gave that one thought when setting mine up. Will have look tomorrow and get it sorted never know when I might do a joint.

I've sent an email to Record to see what they say. I guess it can't be the wheel tilt, because if that was the case, you couldn't tilt the wheel without breaking squareness, so the tilt funcitonality would be useless.

Here is the reply I recieved from Record :

Thank you for contacting us.
The table on this machine can pivoted using grub screws in the trunnion assembly, please see instructions on this attached. Apologies this will be implemented in to the manual asap.

user_000000_enqitem_0_1477301848.png

Will check this tonight.

Attachments

• user_000000_enqitem_0_1477301848.png
    user_000000_enqitem_0_1477301848.png
    243 KB · Views: 214
Ah yes, I remember now. Well done. Not sure if I saw it in the manual or not. Just looking at my machine I have adjusted it sometime in the past but I now need to de-adjust it :lol: as its gone a little too far! :roll: I suspect it's moved by itself somehow so it's possibly something worth checking from time to time.

woodpig":180o1jcp said:
Ah yes, I remember now. Well done. Not sure if I saw it in the manual or not. Just looking at my machine I have adjusted it sometime in the past but I now need to de-adjust it :lol: as its gone a little too far! :roll: I suspect it's moved by itself somehow so it's possibly something worth checking from time to time.

It wasn't in my manual. There are so many adjustments to this saw (good thing) I keep having to re-calculate what each one does :p ... probably gonna stick some text on each one

I've just had a look at mine and there are a couple of points worth mentioning. There are actually 4 adjusting screws fitted into the trunnion base. The front two are fairly easy to reach but the back two are a little more tricky. I suggest removing the blade and table to have a good look at the setup. I'm not sure if I have a rogue machine but the trunnion assembly is held to the bandsaw frame with two M8 bolts. The front one was a button head socket screw and the back one is a cap head. This means using two different size hex keys :roll: so I've replaced the front bolt with another cap head. The assembly as a whole is not very rigid so even after adjustment it is still possible to move the table a degree or so. Before attempting any adjustments I suggest checking all the bolts etc are tight first.

woodpig":3m98ngvv said:
I've just had a look at mine and there are a couple of points worth mentioning. There are actually 4 adjusting screws fitted into the trunnion base. The front two are fairly easy to reach but the back two are a little more tricky. I suggest removing the blade and table to have a good look at the setup. I'm not sure if I have a rogue machine but the trunnion assembly is held to the bandsaw frame with two M8 bolts. The front one was a button head socket screw and the back one is a cap head. This means using two different size hex keys :roll: so I've replaced the front bolt with another cap head. The assembly as a whole is not very rigid so even after adjustment it is still possible to move the table a degree or so. Before attempting any adjustments I suggest checking all the bolts etc are tight first.

Not sure I follow, first you say there are 4, then you say there are 2?

I assume the 4 you're refering to are the ones that hold the table to the trunnion (not to be adjusted), and the other 2 are the ones the image above are refering to? which you need to undo, then adjust another "micro adjustment" screw from below the table to get square, then tighten the 2 back up again.

Do you mean it's not very stable because only 2 bolts are holding the trunnion to the frame? I'm at work, but will check when I get home.

Another thing I noticed late last night is that with the upper guide system, the side bearings aren't parallel to the the blade. It looks like the whole rise/fall system is off at an angle. Another thing to investigate :(

Sorry if I wasn't clear. There are 4 small silver coloured "jacking" screws fitted into the trunnion base. They take an M3 hex key so I expect they are M6 socket set screws. These are used to alter the angle of the trunnion on the bandsaw frame. The 2 M8 bolts actually fix the trunnion to the frame, one from above (at the front) and one from below (at the rear).
The ones pictured in your image are the back two out of a total of four jacking screws.
I'm sure you'll see what I mean once you look at your machine.

transatlantic":3cjgy0bh said:
Another thing I noticed late last night is that with the upper guide system, the side bearings aren't parallel to the the blade. It looks like the whole rise/fall system is off at an angle. Another thing to investigate :(
Have a look here. You're not the only one.

bs400-bandsaw-upper-guide-question-concern-t101074-15.html

I suspect many look like that, pretty sure mine did before I replaced them. Luckily, whilst it doesn't look very good it needn't effect the operation of the bandsaw if adjusted correctly.

Checked mine this morning, quite a bit out as in photo attached. Removed the 2 bolts holding the table assembly, backed the 4 grub screws off till just below proud.
Then bolted table down again checked against blade and adjusted till correct and tightened the 2 bolts back up.
Real pain adjusting the grub screws but done now and now a happy poacher. :D :D

Attachments

• 20161024_124139-600x800.jpg
    20161024_124139-600x800.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 123
woodpig":1hylz2n6 said:
transatlantic":1hylz2n6 said:
Have a look here. You're not the only one.

bs400-bandsaw-upper-guide-question-concern-t101074-15.html

I suspect many look like that, pretty sure mine did before I replaced them. Luckily, whilst it doesn't look very good it needn't effect the operation of the bandsaw if adjusted correctly.

Mine appears to be the whole rise/fall thing though :(

pops92":m5vcnrda said:
Checked mine this morning, quite a bit out as in photo attached. Removed the 2 bolts holding the table assembly, backed the 4 grub screws off till just below proud.
Then bolted table down again checked against blade and adjusted till correct and tightened the 2 bolts back up.

Good job sir!

pops92":zu4w24i2 said:

Do you have the BS300e?

I had a quick look late last night and my setup doesn't look like the one in the photo. I have one bolt attaching the frame to the trunnion from below and one attaching the trunnion to the frame from above. The one from below seems to be used to rotate the trunnion vertically. Not sure where this '3mm micro adjust' hex bolt is. If it's what they're pointing to by 'A' in the image, then that will rotate the table in the same axis as the trunion?

Yeah
Have the BS300E there is 2 grub screws at the front and rear. Difficult to see while assembled but if you look at the 2 photo's I have attached. You will see I have marked the allen key in front and rear shots. I removed the table backed all 4 off then bolted the tabe down. Checked for level and only had to alter the right hand front and rear.

Attachments

• 20161025_093656-1-600x629-480x503-240x252.png
    20161025_093656-1-600x629-480x503-240x252.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20161025_093754-1-480x505-240x253-240x253.png
    20161025_093754-1-480x505-240x253-240x253.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 39
The 4 set screws are difficult to see with the table in place and are easily obscured with sawdust. If you undo the two retaining bolts and remove and turn the trunnion over you'll see the 4 screws easily.

Thank god I found this thread, I couldn’t find any adjustment in the manual!
So much for updating the manual, only had my BS300E a few days

Back