Table saw fences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Froggy":xw8ta5em said:
By the way when are you next in France Bob? :roll: :roll:

Hi Tim, Swmbo has just had major surgery on her ankle. It is going to be a few more weeks before it can even take any weight, then she will need to learn to walk with a rigid ankle so I expect it will be quite a while before she will be mobile enough.
We don't like to visit France during the peak summer heat, So it could be September if at all this year. The main aim is for her to be well enough to go to Antigua in November as we booked this before the problem occurred.
Cheers
Bob

Myfordman":30nvkepa said:
Froggy":30nvkepa said:
By the way when are you next in France Bob? :roll: :roll:

Hi Tim, Swmbo has just had major surgery on her ankle. It is going to be a few more weeks before it can even take any weight, then she will need to learn to walk with a rigid ankle so I expect it will be quite a while before she will be mobile enough.
We don't like to visit France during the peak summer heat, So it could be September if at all this year. The main aim is for her to be well enough to go to Antigua in November as we booked this before the problem occurred.
Cheers
Bob

Hi Bob, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she recovers quickly and fully. I was only joking, I'm going to give this a go myself and if I get stuck I have a couple of friends who are more capable than me with this sort of thing. However if you do get over in September it would be nice to see you both again.

Hi Steve, Your DVD arrived from England on Monday and I watched it last night. It's great thanks - I am going to have a go at making my own TS fence, but I have a few questions. I thought I might as well ask them on the open forum as it might help others. Firstly how do you attach the box section steel to the angle iron which is attached to the TS? As it's boxed in I don't see how you could attach it with a nut and bolt? (You can tell I'm a complete novice where metal is concerned!). Secondly what size gap would you recommend between the box section and the angle iron? I know it's not critical as you have the nylon bolts for adjustment but I would like an idea please. Thirdly there is a 'stop' along the box section opposite the blade. I presume this is to stop you running the fence over the blade, but is there any other reason for it? i.e. for stability of the box section? I would rather not have it if possible, so that I could ride the fence from one side of the blade to the other without lifting it over the stop. Finally where do you buy all your accessories for the jigs? By now you must have sussed out the best value for money accessories and in particular where did you buy your toggle clamp for the TS fence? The closest I can find to it is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386Kg-851-Lbs ... 5412cb9d58 is it any good? What do you think?
I was in 2 minds about buying your DVD but I'm really glad I did now - there is a lot of good stuff on there besides the TS fence such as your fine adjustment jig for the TS. If I'm successful with the fence I'll be making that jig. Cheers Steve, and good luckwith the new workshop.

HI Froggy
I'm delighted you like your purchase, please tell the world. Oh, you are doing, well thank you very much indeed! :)

Froggy":1obywzwd said:
Hi Steve, Your DVD arrived from England on Monday and I watched it last night. It's great thanks - I am going to have a go at making my own TS fence, but I have a few questions. I thought I might as well ask them on the open forum as it might help others. Firstly how do you attach the box section steel to the angle iron which is attached to the TS? As it's boxed in I don't see how you could attach it with a nut and bolt?

It is drilled and tapped. I'm absolutely no engineer, but even I can drill and tap. It really isn't difficult. And if you make the holes on the angle iron a bit oversized, then you should have no problems aligning it, if your drilling and tapping is not CNC perfect. Just use bolts with a washer and a flat head, rather than countersunk machine screws.

Secondly what size gap would you recommend between the box section and the angle iron? I know it's not critical as you have the nylon bolts for adjustment but I would like an idea please.

You are right, it's not critical, just the depth of the nut head plus the thickness of your angle iron plus a couple of mm clearance.

Thirdly there is a 'stop' along the box section opposite the blade. I presume this is to stop you running the fence over the blade, but is there any other reason for it? i.e. for stability of the box section? I would rather not have it if possible, so that I could ride the fence from one side of the blade to the other without lifting it over the stop.

I'm not really sure I understand what you are seeing, Froggy. There is no stop. I'm wondering if you are seeing the saddle of my main, original, fence, which is also sitting on the machine?

Finally where do you buy all your accessories for the jigs? By now you must have sussed out the best value for money accessories and in particular where did you buy your toggle clamp for the TS fence? The closest I can find to it is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386Kg-851-Lbs ... 5412cb9d58 is it any good? What do you think?

Well I buy the flange nuts, Bristol levers and nylon bolts in bags of 500 or so, and sell them on from my site.

That toggle clamp looks pretty much the same, cast body, correct orientation, yes, it looks the same. I can't check the dimensions right now, but I'd say it was close enough. It's also less than half the price I paid for mine, 4 or more years ago. I got mine from Cromwell's. I don't think you can go wrong, TBH

I was in 2 minds about buying your DVD but I'm really glad I did now - there is a lot of good stuff on there besides the TS fence such as your fine adjustment jig for the TS. If I'm successful with the fence I'll be making that jig. Cheers Steve, and good luck with the new workshop.

I'm delighted to hear it. I promise you it works as well as I claim. Don't forget to use bigger box section for the fence itself than I did. In the video I'm using 50x25. My Xcalibur one is 50x50 with aluminium faces on, 75 x 25 or so, and copying that would have been better. But the construction will be the same, of course.

Thanks for the quick and concise reply Steve. I've just remembered that I bought a box of jig fittings from Rutlands when they were on sale but if I'm short of anything I'll get back on to you. I didn't realise you sold all the accessories, you are expanding, good on you. I'll have a look at your shop.
I was just thinking Steve, after all your hard work on the new workshop you'll be needing a break, may be somewhere like the French countryside :twisted: :twisted:

Froggy":1pq84hyd said:
Cheers Bob, very kind. We've been pm-ing each other about him coming over. We now have a little gite ready since you were last over. Only small but ideal for guests.

Ah yes that was WIP when we saw you last.

Bob

Back