Hand tool chest pt 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endgrain.

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got this set of drawers finished....well except the drawer pulls. Did not really want knobs, I think something more horizontal (Japanese) might look better. Your thoughts appreciated?
I did intend to do the whole project without power tools but I have to be honest...I caved at the end and did the drawer grooves on the router table. :oops:

What about having a small magnet on the inside of the draw face and using another magnet to open. David Barron has a simular box in his collection. It's an idea I will use at some stage.

Thanks
TT

Thanks guys.

That is a good idea TT, I think it needs a bit of contrast to bring it alive though. I have some ebony and also some brown oak. was thinking of a bamboo style pull?

here it is with the tool chest, it's not exactly a match made in heaven but it is better than I expected so am happy.

Hello,

How about pulls something like this...

This maker swiped the idea from Krenov, but I think the would look great on your drawers (or similar)

Japanese were often forged steel, such as tea tansu handles, which would also look great, if you are up for making them.

Mike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,829
In terms of drawer pulls, I think less is more.
Something simple like rectangular brown oak (perhaps slightly scalloped) would set off the cabinet really well?

Personally, I think the most handsome way of finishing this type of tool cabinet drawer is to use this type of flush ring pull handle...

CLICK FOR EBAY ITEM

Ebay has new ones but old ones are the best quality if you can find some antique ones

Lovely job! Needs these to look the part IMHO

Jimi

Some great suggestions guys, it all helps :) Thankyou.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and make up something resembling bamboo.....in brown oak ....or ebony?

It is hard to get a complimentary wood for pine.

Peter Sefton":2meus1pv said:
Looks great, nice grain running across the top drawers.

Thanks Pete, it's been a long time.

good to see you are doing well.

Endgrain.":1sqsykfh said:
Some great suggestions guys, it all helps :) Thankyou.

It is hard to get a complimentary wood for pine.

Hello,

Just don't be too contrasty, and it is easier. It is a common mistake to go too extreme with contrast and it is often jarring. Make the pulls a couple of tones darker, no more.

Mike.

jimi43":2nmeozwt said:
Personally, I think the most handsome way of finishing this type of tool cabinet drawer is to use this type of flush ring pull handle...

CLICK FOR EBAY ITEM

Ebay has new ones but old ones are the best quality if you can find some antique ones

Lovely job! Needs these to look the part IMHO

Jimi

I've got some similar (slightly smaller) ones on some of my workshop cupboard doors; they work well, and look good against varnished pine. They are a fiddle to fit, though.

I think for drawers, I might go for simple brass spherical pulls. Very simple, functional, and easy to fit.

That's a super little cabinet - nice clean lines!

Finally got around to finishing the chest. Not quite what I was aiming for but happy with the result, brown oak looks quite good.

Thanks chaps.

Just out of curiosity??? was the right hand of the pair of drawers supposed to be rotated 180°?

It seems that the grain pattern would have then matched the LH drawer.

I can't stop noticing it now.

Nice work though all the same.

I wondered where you got to. Very nice I just finished a small tool fox carry case for college :)
Now working of an oak cabinet thingy

TT

tobytools":1nw542y8 said:
I wondered where you got to. Very nice I just finished a small tool fox carry case for college :)
Now working of an oak cabinet thingy

TT

Would love to see that "Tool Fox"

Hey thanks you guys and ...

Wishing you a Happy New Year :D

Back