Cutting a pyramid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giff

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a way of cutting a pyramid shape from a section 100mm x 100mm x 150mm. The first two cuts are ok and then ? I have a bandsaw and mitre saw. I think I may need to make a jig but maybe there is a technique ? Thanks Geoff

I've been wrestling with this for the past hour assuming it's a three sided pyramid. Reading Peter's answer was one of those "doh" moments! He's of course absolutely right.

A few years back I made a batch of 50 or so gothic post finials which had a pyramid shape. I made a jig to cut them on a sliding table saw. I used toggle cramps to hold the work in place.

The first 2 opposite sides are easy! The next 2 are a bit of a head-scratcher. I used the same jig but added a tapered support.

I dont think I would attempt it with a mitre saw, they don't like ripping cuts, tending to snatch. A bandsaw will work though and you could make a jig which runs against the fence.

I tend to mark the pyramid shape out then cut 3/4 the way through the first pair of sides so I don't lose the marks for the opposing pair. Then I fully cut the opposing pair out and finish the first pair (if that makes any sense to you?). HTH :)

First off, let's avoid confusion from the terminology. A pyramid normally means the same shape as the Egyptian pyramids, ie a five faced solid having a square base and four triangular sides.

100px-Square_pyramid.png

The solid shape made by four equilateral triangles can be called a 'triangular pyramid' but it's generally known as a tetrahedron.

100px-Tetrahedron.svg.png

It may not be obvious from the title, but in my opinion an excellent place to go to look up a general method for sawing geometric shapes is the multi-volume work from the mid nineteenth century, "Turning and Mechanical Manipulation," started by Charles Holtzapffel and continued by his son John Jacob. It covers more than just lathe work and takes in a wide span of tools and materials in fascinating detail.

For a general method to saw pyramids of any number of faces, start reading here in Volume 2 and continue for the next thirteen pages! (Especially if you want to cut a "macled double pyramid with seven sides"!)

The diagram marked 756 on this page shows what you need to do:

Pyramids.JPG

The plan shows a piece of wood - square in your case, assuming an Egyptian pyramid is what you want - resting against a wedge, held on an end stop, advancing into the circular saw blade. Make a cut, rotate, repeat. When you have made the four sloping cuts, take an ordinary right angled cut to remove the pyramid from the end of the stock.

However, if you want to make a tetrahedron, you could do that on a lathe, using the technique shown here in Volume 4. This diagram, on the second page of the explanation, should make it perfectly clear! :wink:

tetrahedron.JPG

Attachments

• Pyramids.JPG
    Pyramids.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 322
  • tetrahedron.JPG
    tetrahedron.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 322
Giff":14859bm0 said:
Does anyone have a way of cutting a pyramid shape from a section 100mm x 100mm x 150mm. The first two cuts are ok and then ? I have a bandsaw and mitre saw. I think I may need to make a jig but maybe there is a technique ? Thanks Geoff
If you've got a bandsaw what's the problem? Presumably a 100mm square base pyramid 150mm tall. Mark and cut off two faces to make a wedge shape, mark again and cut off the other two - use the offcuts as a jig so that the base remains perpendicular to the table. Clean up with a plane.

PS Oops just realised I've more or less repeated Peter's post above. Must be right then!

You wont as clean a cut on a bandsaw as you would a table saw. And that's only if there is no deflection in the blade at all.

Mike

Just made one. I changed the brief a bit (my brief so I could :)) and used a 100mm cube. I screwed it to a square board and used the mitre saw, by turning it for each cut with the board on the fence I got equal cuts. It wouldn't work on anything bigger (as original post) unless I get a bigger saw. All the advice was very helpful in solving the problem. Thanks Geoff

Attachments

• lr_pyramid.jpg
    lr_pyramid.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 136
Back