the gizmo competition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Dave said. I could have swivelled the slide so only one side of the tool was cutting but this time I thought I would just go square on, thinking that the thread was relatively shallow and that the tip was nice and sharp. I guess I'm still learning! I think I took three passes on it, stopping when there was no more flat surface on the original cylinder. It is difficult to take a very fine cut sometimes, but I'm putting that down to my inexperience for now. In this case it would have helped a lot to have the other part handy. But if it does need a die run along it, I know Douglas has one available, so I thought I had better not remove any more metal.

The same applies to the brace shank - it's possibly a bit big, but fits several of my brace chucks ok. If the user needs it to be smaller, he knows what to do!

Well, I am far from an expert. But when I was making some woodscrews for a moving filister, I was having lots of troubles when only advancing in one direction, while everything went very smooth if I advanced the other direction a little bit too. I definitely prefer to use a die though, much easier.

When moving the handle to the 90 degree mount (in body of vice) I discovered the internal thread may need a looking at anyway.
So I'll be passing a tap through that anyway. Andy's thread is going to be v close, BBs original may look a tads deeper, but a quick pass with a die would surely tune it anyway, as DTR mentions it's good practice to form the crest anyway but ... I do have a really big wrench which could sort of clamp onto that tapered bit. I've re-cut threads that way before with some success.

Thanks again Andy, a star.

condeesteso":1kplz9kg said:
but a quick pass with a die would surely tune it anyway, as DTR mentions it's good practice to form the crest anyway but .

I thought the contrary recommenddation was never cut full depth with tap/die because of the cutting force involved, which is why the books give the tapping drill size for 75% depth.

BugBear

bugbear":24hnyr9s said:
condeesteso":24hnyr9s said:
but a quick pass with a die would surely tune it anyway, as DTR mentions it's good practice to form the crest anyway but .

I thought the contrary recommenddation was never cut full depth with tap/die because of the cutting force involved, which is why the books give the tapping drill size for 75% depth.

BugBear

I can see the logic in that, but then I've also read that standard thread forms are made to a very loose tolerance to be compatible with the many millions of fittings already in existence

Douglas, thank you and thank you again! =D>

A little package just dropped onto my doormat, containing this delightful brass and lemonwood mallet!

A19DEB86-E627-4494-AB55-A52DD8D4D3BB_zps1kbxkkjy.jpg

43E2A036-E0ED-482A-B717-854E595CE623_zps9mbgj5mb.jpg

As Douglas points out, it can be held like this, for tapping sideways,

AF63F862-0F0C-4632-BC6C-1369DF6D26D4_zpsg040fxim.jpg

or like this to tap with the end

11D07416-2851-4F29-83CE-78F17567F738_zpsbit22dqe.jpg

Either way, it fits my hand perfectly. I think it is time to sharpen up some carving tools!

Thanks again for a really beautifully made present! (But can you reveal the secret of how the head and handle are fixed together?)

Nice one Douglas! Great choice of wood there!

And a very well designed and useful tool too!

=D>

Prof...resist the temptation to hit that gorgeous table please!!! (drooooooling!)

Jim

Very pleased you are happy with it Andy. Just a small point if I may - I mentioned I often hold it like a dart which allows great accuracy in where it makes contact (I don't mean I could hit treble tops with it, but a plane iron from close quarters is within scope). Your second way above is a new one for me, I'll give it a go!

Ah yes, I see what you mean. A bit more delicate than my fist!

And Jim, the table is safe. I just thought that a bit of burr walnut would make a good background - I wonder where the idea came from!
:-"

All present and correct Andy. Jim touched the thread up for me (3/8 bsf) and it fits really well now:
mf1.jpg

The shank fits really well into the Millers Falls breast drill too, although I would normally use a brace I expect. Nice to get some of the MF collection working together though
mf2.jpg

mf3.jpg

I have ideas for the washer cutter now but they will have to wait a while, run out of down-time.

Many thanks Andy - this little vice will surely be a lot more use than I ever expected.

Attachments

• mf1.jpg
    mf1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 369
  • mf2.jpg
    mf2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 369
  • mf3.jpg
    mf3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 369
Back