Critique required-Winged Bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
After seeing Terry Scotts article in the latest issue of Woodturning on how to make these winged bowls,which is Terrys signature piece,i just had to have a go at making one meself well try anyway :D
I only had one piece of square 6"x6"x3" timber that was suitable which is a piece Malc(The Shark) gave me which was from an old Oak post.
There was a small split in the wood which i hoped i could turn out but it got worse as i got into it,which is why this piece only has three wings.
I decided to leave the top natural as the Oak looks really nice and tried some texture underneath,i just followed the grain using a ball shape cutter in my cheap Dremmel type tool,and then gave it a good coat of Ebonising lacquer.
So if you wouldn't mind comments/critique are welcome :D

wingedbowl4.jpg

wingedbowl3.jpg

wingedbowl2.jpg

wingedbowl5.jpg

wingedbowl.jpg

Very nice Paul! I like the contrast between the rich colour and finish on the top and that on the underside. I think you've achieved a nice flow around the outer edge and over the surfaces. Part of it's appeal is also that it can be viewed from so many different angles, each one presenting a different aspect. An approach worth exploring further, I'm sure.

Ian

I like it.

If you hadn't explained about the 4th wing I would have complimented you on the intriguing look - but as it is I think you overcame your problem/opportunity really well.

Not a fan of all over EL but the work you did to contour the grain makes it here.

Really, Really, nice Paul, as has been said if you had not told us ,it would have held it's own as is.
Third pic. down has a touch of concord about it IMO.

REgards Boysie

That's a great piece Paul, a whole new level of maturity in form and turning achievement coming out in that in my eyes.
Only just this minute flicked through my copy of the mag, but first thoughts are that I prefer your simpler two sided contrast, lets the wood speak for itself more.

I like it that much Paul i`m thinking of buying the magazine :shock:

I`d have put some gild paste into that lovely ebonized grain, but that`s just me :)

Great piece.

Cheers.

Doug.

Paul, I can't really add anything to what has already been said above, it really is a great piece. =D>

Did you find it out of balance on the lathe with it only having 3 wings :?:

They may even get another sale of the magazine from me as well

Steve :)

That is a very nice piece, Paul =D>

The curves seem to flow well, as always with your work there is an excellent finish, and the beauty of the wood has been allowed to show through.

My only comment ( and as always it is personal opinion, so who really cares anyway) is that to me the natural disc of wood in the base doesn't quite look right in contrast with the ebonised colour. Not sure how I'd alter it, 'though, so I suppose that doesn't help much.

Good job!

Malc :)

I also cannot add anything useful apart from agreeing that I really like what you have done, I also think you could easily have got away without telling us about the fourth wing - it really does stand by itself in terms of design.

Thank you all for your comments :D
The reason for saying about the missing wing is because i'm sure when it gets seen in the mag you will see there are usually four wings on these type of pieces so was just letting you know why mine only as three :D
Ian-you are right every angle looks different with this which is why i like it :D
Jumps-Thank you but whats EL :?:
Eugene-Thank you.The idea of Terrys is based on the Manta Ray,but i guess mine does look more like Concorde :lol:
Chas-Thank you :D
Doug-The thought of the paste did cross my mind,and if i did have some i might have tried it :)
Steve-No Steve as it is only a small piece i didn't feel any vibration at all,but then again i was turning it ata low speed :wink:
Malc-The base was black but thought i would show some of the natyral colour underneath,as yoy can't see it when it is sat down :wink:
Chris-Thank you :D
Dick-Thank you.It is starting to grow on me now,the design not the wing that is :lol:
Can't wait to do another one now.Really interesting piece to make.

nice piece PJ
minor gripe if anything - re: the edge of the wings,would prefer the wings to be either cut clean and crisp OR totally free flowing with a randomness to the edge,this to me looks a bit inbetween.

Hi Paul,

I think its a beautiful result, you should be well proud, post it over on WWI also as Terry visits there !!!!

Cheers Jumps for that,it's the old age creeping in i think :roll:
Thank you for commenting H,and i agree with what you say :D
Loz-Cheers glad you like it.I have put it on the WOW site where Terry has replied to it :D

Just read the WOW response now Paul, He is good isn't he !!!!

I do hope you do another soon and post it !

I think it is great...
I can't get my hands on that magazine over here and I am wracking my brain trying to work out how it has been mounted on the lathe........my head is starting to hurt.

Let us in on the secret please.

sue denim":2vcmo3b9 said:
I think it is great...
I can't get my hands on that magazine over here and I am wracking my brain trying to work out how it has been mounted on the lathe........my head is starting to hurt.

Let us in on the secret please.

Basically turn your Bowl as per:
wing bowl2.jpg
Then Carve away the unwanted wings.

Attachments

• wing bowl2.jpg
    wing bowl2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 596
Thank you Sue :D
That is how you do it as Chas as shown,but you make the bottom wings first shaping the basefor the bowl as you do so,make your spigot/tenon also for when you reverse onto a chuck.
You start off holding the block on a wormscrew.
You also need dowels to support the wings,these are hot glued on.
If you attempt one of these just be mindful at all times of the wings and where your hands/fingers are positioned,and use a slow speed to start off with until you feel more confident with what you are doing,and wear a full face shield :!: :!:

Back