Winged bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to have a go at another winged bowl as these were what i was just getting into before i had my extended break from turning,so this piece is a practice/experimental so not perfik. :D
I was going to carve and leave the feet on the bowl from the tenon so it rested but then liked the idea of having it float on the three down wings which looks pretty good i think and as i say an experimental piece really so tried it out.
Not sure of the wood as i had it given to me but it turned and finished nice.
Sizes are 14" from point to point 3" high.
Finished with ebonising lacquer and gloss lacquer.
Hope you like.

wingedbowl1ukwb.jpg

bwingedbowl2ukw.jpg

blackwb3ukw.jpg

Attachments

• wingedbowl1ukwb.jpg
    wingedbowl1ukwb.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,297
  • bwingedbowl2ukw.jpg
    bwingedbowl2ukw.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,297
  • blackwb3ukw.jpg
    blackwb3ukw.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,297
Looking good Paul, wood looks like Mahogany. Excellent, even edges, to the wings, that's very good turning!

That's an excellent addition to the gallery Paul, your turning rest and the resultant time for reflection are showing a big leap in presentation on the latest pieces.

nev":3i8i09k3 said:
when doing a winged bowl, what is the order of doing things and more importantly the holding of the piece?

Nev HERE is an how to by the man himself which was in the woodturning mag a few years ago,i believe he also has a very good DVD nout ow which was done when Terry visited here a few years ago to do some demos and i was fortunate enough to have gone and seen him.
When attempting these sort of pieces just be aware of where your fingers are and keep em all teh safe side of the tool rest,as its easy to forget.

wing bowl.jpg

They make me nervous just thinking about it.

Attachments

• wing bowl.jpg
    wing bowl.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,088
I will also add that i don't use the skew to do the wings as Terry does as i just don't get on with that tool,so i use my 3/8" bowl gouge with the wings swept back.
Start off at slow speed until you gain a bit more confidence then slowly increase as you do.
I did forget how i used to do the first ones i made so just took my time and it all came back to me.
You can still get a catch as you near the point where you seperate the two wings so once again be careful,and spin the piece by hand slowly each time you alter summat making sure the work is clear of any obstructions.
Good luck and let us know how you get on,any probs just ask and i'll ask Terry :lol: :lol:

=D> =D> Good to see you are back Paul ,and with a bang. =D> =D> Lovely ,Lovely ,piece .
Looking forward to the New Year and as you would say , "don't forget the piccys ".

God Bless and Festive Greetings , :ho2 :ho2 :deer

Back