New Chisels From Veritas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any inside information on the new range of chisels currently being developed by Lee Valley (Veritas) for introduction next year? Come on Alf spill the beans

Flipping heck talk about getting it from the horses mouth :shock:
Come on then Rob give us a few clues :lol: :lol:

Alan Jones":ma61veus said:
Flipping heck talk about getting it from the horses mouth :shock:
Come on then Rob give us a few clues :lol: :lol:

Hi Alan -

Not really much I can say - we're still sorting through some details..> and haven't even yet confirmed our choice of steel... and that may be different for different chisel styles.

We do have a custom grinding machine being built in Germany, which will be ready come spring.... by then, we should be a bit more "leaky"...

Oh - and that Alf's not yet involved should tell you that we're still working with the handles.... :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

I know... virtually nothing. What (very) little I do know is intriguing, and also indicates that the apparently humble chisel is definitely getting the full Veritas R&D treatment. I'm as agog as you. And any handles will get my full, freaky-handed attention; trust me. :wink: :lol:

Can I put in a request for a steel/all in one handle like you have with kitchen knives. Just imagine a chisel with a nickel steel handle in the style of the NX block plane...

Ironballs":h96vqpoa said:
Can I put in a request for a steel/all in one handle like you have with kitchen knives. Just imagine a chisel with a nickel steel handle in the style of the NX block plane...

Sounds cold, heavy and expensive :(

BugBear

Cocobolo handles for mine. Resin impregnated like the ones Blue Spruce do so you can hit them and they stay looking beautiful :D

:idea: I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting a left-handed set.

It's bad enough that screwdrivers are only available right-handed. And hammers, for that matter. I've asked locally, and they just say there's no demand...

It's the only thing holding me back from woodworking stardom, I'm certain.

:roll:

Dont forget to keep us fully informed when you do have any info Alf as I feel I should warn you I do a mean Chinese burn :lol: :lol:

Ah, the irony. A Chinese burn - made in England... :lol:

This thread ably demonstrates why tool makers so often ended up with such a huge range of different chisel styles... I'm inclined to lean towards a handle system that makes user customisation as straightforward as possible, but we shall see.

And Eric, left-handed hammers. :wink:

Alan Jones":3kljqxdl said:
Cocobolo handles for mine. Resin impregnated like the ones Blue Spruce do so you can hit them and they stay looking beautiful :D
As long as they're O1 steel :roll: as well. You know what you can do with that new fangled A2 stuff :lol: - Rob

I asked Rob about 5 or 6 years ago about chisels, he said "maybe, in the future but very expensive to manufacture" so looking forward to their release. Socket design I hope.

woodbloke":36p5bkwb said:
Alan Jones":36p5bkwb said:
As long as they're O1 steel :roll: as well. You know what you can do with that new fangled A2 stuff :lol: - Rob

What's wrong with CPM-3v?

Shoot for the moon!

More seriously, I suspect Veritas aren't aiming at "dream chisels", but "better than you have any right to expect for the money" chisels, achieved by ruthless elimination of features that don't have a good cost/benefit ratio, and innovation, including use of modern materials.

A chisel "cousin" of their miraculous dovetail saw would be most interesting, and would amusingly annoy the fuddy-duddies.

There are some interesting features on the Ward & Payne Aristocrat chisels, for example.

BugBear

bugbear":36rfdejg said:
There are some interesting features on the Ward & Payne Aristocrat chisels, for example.

BugBear
A quick google:

WoodworkerAugust1959c.jpg

I've never seen one of these chisels. I think I know why: something tells me (call it intuition :lol: )that their innovation was in fact completely worthless and the handles all broke. They do look so flimsy!
Whereas my Stanley 5001s with black handles, of similar vintage, are still going strong and are probably the best chisels you can get.

PS Is this the proof?

et923.list.jpg

Ward & Payne socket chisels with crude replacement handles. The only image of the socket variety I could find. Plenty of tanged examples with nice conventional and original box or ash handles.

Mr G Rimsdale":vfkm0xef said:
I've never seen one of these chisels.

If seeing diverse things is your goal, you need go to more auctions, tool dealers and car boots, and read more books. There's none so blind...

I think I know why: something tells me (call it intuition :lol: )that their innovation was in fact completely worthless and the handles all broke.

They survived just fine, but not many were sold, probably due to price.

I own one, and it's rather nice; lovely steel, with excellent grinding. I'm never going to know how durable the handle is under abuse; I don't abuse tools.

IIRC there was a thread on this very forum, where someone had an NIB box of 'em!

Edit; here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/aris ... aristocrat

Your "proof" pictures merely show Ward & Payne socketed chisels; a standard old design, made by many manufacturers.

Diagnosis: neophobia, or perhaps paleophilia :D :D

BugBear

bugbear":qdyain7m said:
What's wrong with CPM-3v?

Shoot for the moon!

More seriously, I suspect Veritas aren't aiming at "dream chisels", but "better than you have any right to expect for the money" chisels, achieved by ruthless elimination of features that don't have a good cost/benefit ratio, and innovation, including use of modern materials.

A chisel "cousin" of their miraculous dovetail saw would be most interesting, and would amusingly annoy the fuddy-duddies.

BugBear

Dang - you're good...

Definitely looking at concepts similar to the Ward and Payne Style .... but still different. The drawbores we did awhile back were essentially a test for making chisels....a wee bit 'o learning, in a peripheral, but related product.

CPM-3V is one of thousands of steels.... it's a specific formulation from a specific company (Crucible Industries) - there are lots of others out there!

Cheers -

Rob

Latest posts

Back