Improvements to my thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a chaiwanese 12 inch thicknesser from a forum member about 6 months ago. A fine solid bit of kit that performed well from the outset but was ill mannered enough to throw all the shavings on the floor or bench.
I needed a way to collect the shavings and feed them to my DC that has 100mm hose.
I had some 100mm drain pipe in the workshop. This is standard soil pipe as used in France. Ours is 110mm. I buy it in the DIY sheds in France when on holiday. It does not take up much space as you can fill the centre up with wine bottles!!

The unmodified machine looks like this.
ThicknesserDustExtractor004.jpg

The blade guard showed little resistance to the bandsaw
ThicknesserDustExtractor002.jpg

I then put the shortened guard back into the machine
ThicknesserDustExtractor001.jpg

The drain pipe gets a rectangular slot cut in it the full width of the thicknesser outlet and bolted to a simple aluminium bracket. One end of the pipe has an mdf plug cut to a force fit.
ThicknesserDustExtractor007.jpg

and
ThicknesserDustExtractor006.jpg

The bracket has mounting holes drilled in it and these are used as a jig to drill and tap holes in the cutter block casting. there are 5 in totla but the picture just shows 2.
ThicknesserDustExtractor005.jpg

Finally a couple of views of the extraction adaptor fitted.
ThicknesserDustExtractor008.jpg

ThicknesserDustExtractor009.jpg

The device is not an air/dust tight fit but it does not matter. In use every shaving is sucked up and the bench stays perfectly clear. I should have done this months ago.

Bob

Dunno! I've just posted something elsewhere and the picture is not responding although I can see the pictures in this thread but maybe they get cached in my browser
All the photos are on Photobucket and currently the site is very slow to respond so maybe try again later?

HTH

Bob

Hang on in there Martin - picture 4 starts to show the additional parts!

Hope you consider it worth the wait!!

Bob

Hi Bob

That looks really good. It's similar to the standard extraction unit that comes with the Makita thicknesser, but I think that yours looks as though it will work more efficiently.

Cheers,
Neil

That certainly looks more efficient than some of the stuff I've seen supplied with Chai/Taiwanese planer-thicknessers elsewhere - nice one! :wink:

Hi Bob I made one from sheet steel for a very simular thicknesser, just painted another colour. I wish I had thought of the drain pipe though much simpler and looks more effective.

Back