F&C free book offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil,
Yup that's the one (as others have said-must spend more time on the internet :wink: ) It's well worth getting.
As regards the Sharpening book-I borrowed it from the local library. It's alright but nothing groundbreaking. Personally, your better off searching the links on sharpening than getting this (slightly dated) book.
The Hand Plane book is a must have-get it now! 8)
Now all we need are plans for a bookcase :lol:
regards,
Philly :D

Thanks Philly and Alf. Knowing me, by the time I decide what to get from the list I have now, the sale will be long over :roll:

NeilCFD

Ooo, you haven't ordered yet? Not too late to for me to recommend FWW's Bench Tools then? Very good. Good articles on using all sorts of hand tools from chisels to shoulder planes. :D

Philly, datedness. Yep, that's what stayed my hand too.

Cheers, Alf

Well kudos to GMC. They hadn't got back to me, and I was all ready to be on the 'phone with my best "slightly miffed" voice first thing on Tuesday morning, but I misjudged them. It arrived this morning by first class post. Now that's customer service. :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi Gidon

gidon":22t0d614 said:
Neil, It's interesting about the wrong way / right way thing - he mentioned it a lot. And he's right to - but since the book is aimed at beginners I was surprised to see no clear diagrams describing the concept. Just words. And rules. And the trouble is with applying rules (without understanding) is 9 out of 10 times you apply the rule the wrong way around!

You need to read page 28, correction, you should look at the pictures on page 28. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

Hi N_Neil

Yes I can see some photos on page 28 of RF using a router to cut some wood. And I can see some words talking about direction of cut. As I already said I still can't see any clear diagrams explaining the concept. Just thought that would be helpful for someone new to routing. The photos don't explain anything - not to me at least.

Cheers

Gidon

So in case anyone is curious which books I went for in the end (I expect I'm referring to Alf here :wink: ), they were:

Tage Frid Vol 1&2
Furniture-Making Techniques for the Wood Craftsman
The Woodworker's Guide to Hand Tools
The Workshop Book
The Workbench book

No Hand Plane book - I thought I was being extravagant already...

NeilCFD

Neil,

Mmm, lots of lovely reading matter there. You just know you'll end up getting The Handplane Book in the end though, don'tcha? :p :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3kzu1x4u said:
You just know you'll end up getting The Handplane Book in the end though, don'tcha? :p :wink:
I think you're probably right, Alf :wink:

NeilCFD

Back