Free Natural Sharpening Stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No expert but that looks like another slate, similar to or the same as the better one I refer to above.

Osvaldd":wzc9jlq9 said:
@D_W you seem to know your stones.
I wonder if you could help me identify this one. its the one on the left, next to my freebie slate.
it smells very chalky when used and when dry you can see tiny white shiny specs all over. Slurry is very dark, almost black.

I couldn't say for sure other than that it's a slate, both based on looks and based on the chalky smell.

I have a small piece that looks almost identical - dark black with tiny little bright specks on it. At some point, someone told me that the water of ayr stones have those specks on them, but I really don't know if that's the case because I've always been too cheap to buy a labeled one.

If it sharpens something to a bright polish, it might be WOA or something similar. Most slate hones (even fine ones) come up a little short of a bright polish, though - more of a hazy polish on hardened steel.

D_W":50ycee3w said:
Most slate hones (even fine ones) come up a little short of a bright polish, though - more of a hazy polish on hardened steel.
Is there a correlation between brightness of polish and sharpness? That is, if one stone produces a bright mirror finish and another stone produces a dull finish, does the first stone necessarily produce a sharper tool?

A stone that brings an edge to a bright polish is generally a finer stone. Bright polish without flaws, that is. There's a long running rumor that Japanese natural stones can make for an edge that's sharper with a misty haze than one brightly polished, but all good Japanese razor hones bring a bevel to a bright polish. Razors don't have the lamination at the edge like tools do, so there's no line like you'd find on a Japanese chisel.

There are plenty of good natural stone though only in specific places.

In Västilä in Finland there is an outcrop of mighty good hones for woodwork. Still quarried and sold on a small scale by http://www.wastikivi.fi.
Sandstone from the island of Gotland in the Baltic makes by far the best grinding wheels money can buy. I have been told that unfortunately the last whetstone wheel maker retired some years ago. Those famed artificial Tormek stones are nothing compared to a good Gotland stone....... but people want to pay for technology not for crafsmanship. Secondhand Gotland whetstone wheels often go for a couple of euros. Gotland is said to be full of closed down quarries once worked as a side income by locals where I suppose one could get some raw material more or less free if one asks the farmer who owns te land.
Sandstone fron Orsa in Sweden is fairly good too. Whetstone wheels are still made and sold by www.orsasten.se. That region is also full of closed down quarries owned by local farmers.

AndyT":g12fbuqk said:
Found it.

Start here and download the pdfs with uk flags beside them.

https://bosq.home.xs4all.nl/

Thanks AndyT
This is turning out to be a fascinating study.
Exactly the type of thing I'm after :D
I can't wait to be a small bit knowledgeable and have a chat with some stone carver.
I have a washita and a soft arkansas so have something to compare a native stone with, should I find something suitable.
Regards
Tom

I myself dabbled with a Slate hone, not in 'Nam of course. Can't say I got on well with it, but I started on Norton India so that may be why. VERY different texture/feel.

Back