Renovate natural sharpening stones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":239iv7lo said:
Very low power sander, less than 4 amps at 110v.
If only there were some standard measure of power, obtainable by multiplying current and voltage together... :D

BugBear

bugbear":1pca9sny said:
D_W":1pca9sny said:
If only there were some standard measure of power, obtainable by multiplying current and voltage together... :D

BugBear

We generally don't describe motors in watts here. Just the way it is.

D_W":1onvyv8i said:
bugbear":1onvyv8i said:
D_W":1onvyv8i said:

BugBear

We generally don't describe motors in watts here. Just the way it is.
It's a UK forum Dave - do try to fit in! :D

BugBear

Put a new belt on the sander today and flattened a much harder stone. Should've done that before the video!

No big deal. Novaculite stones seem really hard until they meet aluminas, etc, and then they turn to powder.

Looks fast and effective great if you have a stone throughput like yours DW. Have left a number of Washitas in shops that have had that amount of sway, they go for very little money, because flattening them manually is too much like hard work and the neighbours would create something terribly if I coated their back garden in silica dust. Washita slip stones sound interesting and I would like to see how they compare with my usual India, trans Ark or diamond dressed leather on shaped wood approach. Wood is so much easier to shape than a chunk of Washita though and the latter would require the purchase of a wet diamond disc saw plus the belt sander.

Why not use the belt sander for sharpening - then you wouldn't need to flatten the stones? In fact you could just bin them.

Slow speed and slack belt, it's junk. It's hardly suitable for razors, scissors, Japanese chisels, etc. Very lucky to even have figured out that the idler is useful. It rounds the corners on everything.

Of course of tried early on to use the thing as a Sharpener, which is what the leather disc is an artifact of. It shot a large tapered plane blade into the ceiling and then bouncing off the floor in one shot. Very dangerous. Even went so far as to get two cork belts for it.

Jacob":3aregvqs said:
Why not use the belt sander for sharpening - then you wouldn't need to flatten the stones? In fact you could just bin them.

Washitas are no longer mined so unlike an India you can't just bin it and buy another one. If your preference is for natural stones then they are worth saving and the result in the video would give you a stone that should last a lifetime if it is any good. Definitely would not let a diamond plate anywhere near a Washita though not for flattening purposes anyway.

Results in a slow diamond plate. I did two of these that I bought off of eBay with a third stone. Three nice boxes, two drastically different washitas. Cost a fair bit of coin with shipping includes ...about $115. Foolish, but i wanted to make this video and it turned out ok with what washitas are going for now.

The only two fleas around here are patrolled by a dealer who takes everything before the flea starts and then put out junk and keeps the good stuff. He's a real prick, too. As far as what he puts out for stones, only used India and carborundum. He keeps the rest and boasts about what he's gotten. Dealers get in earlier, so you can't beat him in without setting up a booth or paying fifty bucks.

Are these kinds of belt sanders common in the UK, or do you guys have an even smaller more dainty English version with a little tray for tea bags?

They are all over the place over here, and I have to say 100% honestly, my parents have made three quarters of a million dollars over the years selling some horrid crafty stuff as a my father is involved in the prep work of the materials, he's worn out two stationary belt sanders of this type and now has a bench top version like this.

I called him yesterday to find him scraping coffee filters because my mothers customers like "flowers" that have been made out of used coffee filters. Yeah, I have no idea, either, but they said new ones don't look right. Whereas I will spend all kinds of money on stupid things like $115 to get two stones that will hopefully be worth that once i'm done, they will scrape coffee filters and celebrate the use of free materials. A more interesting observation to me is what is missing in the lives of folks who are spending $2 for flowers made out of used coffee filters, but that wouldn't be very polite to examine and report on.

At any rate, do you guys do these tools over there (the combination belt disc sander) or are the little scabby homeowners versions like this something that they can only get over on americans?

D_W":s7o7iase said:
At any rate, do you guys do these tools over there (the combination belt disc sander) or are the little scabby homeowners versions like this something that they can only get over on americans?

Yes, they are available, bearing such premium, reassuring brand names as "Clarke" "Draper" or "Silverline." Between £93 and £125.

I don't know anyone who has one. :)

I just knew that a sharpening thread with 72 replies would be full of drivel. Cream first? Pure lunacy.

essexalan":2ayiovv5 said:
Never seen one used and have no use for one, here's a cheap one http://www.axminster.co.uk/powermatic-3 ... der-102216. No room for tea bags though but you can probably get a tray attachment for a tea pot plus a plate of scones. Real Englishmen use tea leaves not tea bags old boy and you put the cream on your scone before the jam.

essexalan":26daacjy said:
Never seen one used and have no use for one, here's a cheap one http://www.axminster.co.uk/powermatic-3 ... der-102216. No room for tea bags though but you can probably get a tray attachment for a tea pot plus a plate of scones. Real Englishmen use tea leaves not tea bags old boy and you put the cream on your scone before the jam.

Goodness, I forgot about the loose tea, which is not uncommon here, but not considered the commoner's tea.

I had a dandy little ryobi grinder that I used to use (I set it out at the curb, but really, it wasn't that bad - just underpowered). It had a little tray in the middle that was very shallow, I think they thought you'd put water in it and pull it out to dip an edge...in about 1/4th inch of water.

If you managed to over grind something and had a dip cup, you could've put tea leaves in that tray, and if your water was warm enough, broke for a cup until your tool cooled.

We do have some pants-too-tight germophobe americans over here, but I think on average, an Englishman with manners would be horrified if they spent a day with me. I am descended from farmers and as long as it doesn't have mayonnaise, ketchup or mustard on it (include in that any of the various vegetable oil cheese-colored things that are not cheese), It'll pretty much eat anything that's been resident anywhere for any period of time. I'll believe that it will make you sick when I actually see it happen.

When I am around my in-laws, whose idea of doing something is finding out who to pay, and they see a spot on a glass at a restaurant and just about come out of their pants trying to get it sent back so they can get a "clean one", all I can think is "good God, not a man."

Tea bags or not, I'm good to go.

essexalan":2dx41fo8 said:

I have, by the way, always been impressed with Powermatic's ability to ask astronomical prices for pedestrian tools that come from the far east.

Reminds me of Coach wallets. they have the same stamp on them, maybe, but they're not what we think they are.

And that one has a guard over the end idler. I suppose it's *possible* to get something in there, but it would be really difficult. Perhaps when you take it off, it hooks to the side of the machine somewhere so that the purchaser can hang their purse on it.

Back