Moving my workshop 200 miles.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mercifully, out of the province for the last ten days! :D
I called a few moving companies, including a VERY nice man in ...Ahoghill...(!). Apparently, many of our Norniron movers are blase about workshop gear, including 400lb table saws! Several of them offered to come up and assess the load before quoting! Not one of them turned a hair when I 'pushed the envelope' by including a half tonne lathe! One summed it up by saying: " we just think of it as an odd shaped grand piano..same weight!". I am gratified and relieved. No bookings yet, as dates are dependent on legalistas getting paperwork sorted, but I'm hoping for end September/mid October. Also transplanting 94 year old MIL to Alnwick and just finalised her sheltered accommodation ( part of reason we're over here). Thanks for asking Noel - will keep you infirmed.
Sam

Informed...

I also asked about palletising things, but amazingly, almost to a man, they didn't particularly care. Even the Wadkin AGS could be mounted on a strong square of ply and they would then hand truck it(!!!), or, 'dolly it' on a piano dolly. The only item preferred palletised was the lathe bed at 6 feet long. It would then be pallet trucked.
Sam

Thanks Sammy. All good news.
I wonder how our fellow members will read/pronounce Ahoghill..? : )

Just to round this out, I got 7 quotations and four site visits to confirm details before quoting. Basically, my home contents are about 830 cubic somethings and my playpen is 350 cubic thingumys on top. Cost was surprisingly low: ranged from Roy Rogers and Trigger @ £2850 down to a more reasonable £2100 inc vat. I had been led to expect double that by two 'gentlemen' whom I now supect of being illegimate, full of the pox and probably mug old ladies for fun. Do your research Folks. 'Mazin' differences in approach and professionalism between businesses; pays to shop around. D- Day is early October...hope the legendary North Channel gales have an away match that day!

Sam

Sounds like a good outcome of it all!

Up here we are used to long distance transports. In a sparsely populated country things aren't always available locally so buying secondhand far away and arranging the transport oneself is fairly common. Myself I have had a 1200 kilo combination machine transported home from 400 kilometres away and a logging trailer and a large drill press and a very heavy wood lathe transported home from 500 kilometres away and a 200 kilo hinge and lock mortiser transported home from almost 1000 kilometres away. Various aquintances have had old industrial machines transported from Germany and farm tractors and oak logs from southern Sweden and a hydraulic excavator from Northern England.
In my reference system there is no such possiblitity as selling tools or machinery just because of the logistics of a short 300 km move.
If there is a will there is always a way!

Just one tip:
You make loading and unloading a lot easier and faster and safer and avoid most handling and transport damage to your stuff if you put your machines on pallets and remove fragile parts sticking out well in adwance. Also pack all smaller tools and stuff in such a way that it is easy to handle. Wooden crates (for instance from OSB or construction grade plywood) are way better than cardboard boxes for heavier tools. It is not very satisfying when in midst of the loading hurry the bottom falls out of a cardboard box with valuable tools.

Good luck!!!

Gotcha. Presently recovering from moving M-in-law same distance. 94 and a new metal hip... :(
Good point on boxes. I have a few army surplus ones and they have been the ONLY plastic boxes that didn't deteriorate with age. My good planes are going in them.
Sam

Got here. Movers competent, but VERY slow. Barely made 3.30pm ferry, despite packing from 6.00am. Same on other side next day. Since which, had the gas boiler blow up (actually); slovenly painters paint all seven varnished wood floors in addition to ceilings and walls, loft insulation 3-5 cm deep...found out after cold snap when condensation inside wardrobes resembled Niagara....a mice infestation...rats undermining an extended deck, main sewer doesn't do what it is supposed to (no details!)...been so caught up in this and daughter needing help when kitchen installers took 6 weeks to put in a kitchen(!) that all my tools are still in boxes. Chaotic now that I have had to rummage in them for fear to sort out Ness's diffs. Promised myself January off to impose order..Happy New Year Folks!!
Sam

Blimey Sam, you've been up against it!
Hopefully the worst is dealt with now and at least you are in.
(6 weeks to fit a kitchen!?! :shock: )
(the painters painted the varnished floors.... )

Really?!?!?!?!? Wow!

Here's to a calmer January.
:eek:ccasion5:

Happy New Year to you and yours too.
Regards
Chris

Thanks Chris! :wink: For a while I felt like that Greek bloke Sissyphus and his rock; soon as I cleared one problem another reared up, like the new fireplace Domestic Controller had rushed in "to be ready for Christmas" and five days later we had to 'tank' the thing 'cos of rising damp through the base of the old (unsealed) firepit/grate...fortunately, the hearth stone delivery had been delayed, so it was there, but not fitted, when the stains manifested themselves. I could go on, but sufficient to say, I am profoundly underwhelmed by the bodges of the previous owner. One neighbour christened him a 'chainsaw carpenter' and I feel that subriquet is significantly unfair to chainsaw operators.... :twisted:

I now have a "could you just" list* from the D.C. that is definitely A4, not notebook format...

See Y'All in the New Year,

Sam

*Colonial cousins reading this: "Honey do" List.

SammyQ":30uppyq7 said:
Thanks Chris! :wink: For a while I felt like that Greek bloke Sissyphus and his rock; soon as I cleared one problem another reared up, like the new fireplace Domestic Controller had rushed in "to be ready for Christmas" and five days later we had to 'tank' the thing 'cos of rising damp through the base of the old (unsealed) firepit/grate...fortunately, the hearth stone delivery had been delayed, so it was there, but not fitted, when the stains manifested themselves. I could go on, but sufficient to say, I am profoundly underwhelmed by the bodges of the previous owner. One neighbour christened him a 'chainsaw carpenter' and I feel that subriquet is significantly unfair to chainsaw operators.... :twisted:

I now have a "could you just" list* from the D.C. that is definitely A4, not notebook format...

See Y'All in the New Year,

Sam

*Colonial cousins reading this: "Honey do" List.

And how many times did you swear to yerself "why did I ever leave the oul sod??"

Seriously, hope you get all sorted in good time.

Nobody deserves that amount of bad luck. Well, I say nobody but I can think of one or two that I would wish it on. Certainly not any members of this forum. :)

Thank you again Gents. Yes Noel, that did cross my mind, no more than forty times, especially when I unearthed a problem I had fixed in the old place, hence the Sissyphus reference. However, I think we now have a plan and at 62-going-63, I am embarking on major groundworks (sewer), a possible kitchen extension, and assorted Kingspanning of cold outer walls in at least two rooms to prevent condensation. I may even get to do what I had hoped to retire to do, woodworking. :|

All that said, the benefits of moving here do offset most hassles. Country air; we're near the kids; no stairs; there is superb medical support for Meggie and the view from our verandah (yes! In G.B.! a verandah!) is endlessly calming and fulfilling.

Sam, endlessly, but optimistically, list making.

WOW that's a list of disasters Sam, why didn't the survey pick some of that up before you bought it.
Hope you get everything sorted soon. Alnwick is a lovely market town, really nice place to live and I think they've even improved the parking a little. I was there on Friday buying some bits from Hardys fishing shop.

Thanks Bob. Gas boiler was 7 years old and had all the paperwork to satisfy my lawyer. :?
Mould and rain INSIDE the wardrobes only manifested itself after a cold snap. THAT made me check the loft ( full of boxes when we visited in August). Only when I installed extra lighting and lifted the chipboard flooring did his perfidy and skinflint insulation become obvious. The sewer MUST have been known about, but I speculate the so-and-so hosed and rodded the fundament away just before the surveyor hit town! Damp was very subtle until I dug out a disgusting fireplace. Neither I nor my engineer son could see it, despite surveyor expressing SLIGHT concern.
The BIG message has got to be: " Caveat Emptor!" innit?
Hardys is just in the next road to my place, maybe 150m in a straight line. Call me before you next come up and I'll stick the kettle on! :D
Sam

You're on Sam though often my outings are spur of the moment. Seem to coincide with requests from the boss that I do something or other I don't want to do. :wink:

Back