Can you fix broken cast Iron?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
I was "lucky" enough to pick up a Record Power BDS150 from their ebay auction. The auction said it had signs of use but when it arrived the rear cast iron feet were broken off

castiron.png

bds150.png

Is this fixable or should I just send it back - given the weight.

The packing was pretty dire and I'm doubly concerned because I managed to pick up a DP58B form them too and am just awaiting delivery.

Mig welding with stainless steel wire and Argon gas, but I would send it back.

Mike

I have no personal experience, but from my lurking on welding forums, the usual way seems to be to preheat the job, and arc weld it with special (expensive'ish) rods. Then control it's cooling.

On a small part that you can get to temp before starting it seems the results are favourable.

Again I have no personal experience, I'm just relaying what I have read.

Last year I bought a Triton thicknesser (new) that had the cast iron frame completely broken in shipping. It's really brittle stuff and seems to never be packaged properly.

Story aside, it's not worth your time or effort to fix on a machine like that, so I would send it back (and keep your fingers cross for the drill).

If you are reluctant to return it, I think you could get away with using epoxy to refit the broken foot.
The unit does not take much in the way of stress when being used, so fixing it to an MDF or plywood base would mean that you could move it around your workshop without risk of knocking the foot off.
You may need to fix it to a base with some additional means, rather than just the holes in the foot.

I was going to suggest epoxy too. But I just recently learned of a sealant/adhesive called CT1 which you might want to consider instead, I think this will work out cheaper than any quality epoxy at under a tenner for 290ml.

Even though the break surfaces are fresh thoroughly degrease first, wipe twice using acetone or cellulose thinners if you have them.

+1 for the epoxy idea, but use the "24 hour" stuff, not the quick-drying stuff ("30 mins").That means you need to set up a "jig" to support the job while the epoxy hardens, but that's no big deal.

+1 also for THOROUGH cleaning, even if it is new.

I've never heard of this CT1. Is it new? Who makes it please?

If you are going to use any type of adhesive I suggest drilling and pinning the foot onto the casting as well.

Mike

I find it hard to believe epoxy mentioned....
Get an dang ark welder for yourselves folks ....costing less than 50 quid
A 2 quid, box of steel nails, Cheap bench grinder to sharpen e'm or whatever method...little hammer 3 quid...a one quid wire brush,
a box of rods will last a lot of projects 8 or 9 quid ...rest of parts unnoticable cost.
Never look back :D

Nowhere to store it you say....
No probs, stick her up in the attic!
No excuse, what if you get some daft commission like a floating something...?
I for one, wanna be the ....I can do that, man that will stand behind my work.

Tom

Ttrees said, "I find it hard to believe epoxy mentioned.... ".

I can only say it works for me. I appreciate welding is "better", but sparks, smell, pre-heating, kit to buy n store (even in the attic) for such a little job? Nah, not me - BUT "whatever floats yer boat" as they say :D

I have done bits and bobs without heating or cooling slowly, with special "all weld" rods ..
Not much kit for a highly useful tool really, IMO
I don't know what smell your on about? ...
(edit) I think your confusing it with the epoxy :D
Tom

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. Record Power have arranged collection and will inspect and send out a replacement.

Although I'd rather it hadn't arrived damaged I am happy with the solution offered. Minimal fuss for me, good service by them. Happy customer who will buy from them again.

That's how it's meant to be, all the time.

ScaredyCat, glad you got sorted.

Ttrees, welding's great and all but this is a classic application for epoxy. Apart from cast iron being noted but being a pig to successfully braze or weld epoxy repairs can be stronger than either in some materials and certain situations, in part because the material itself is so strong (generally far beyond the strength of the material being bonded).

AES, here's the manufacturer's page for CT1. It's available in multiple colours, including clear. User reports are glowing, including some really challenging applications like bonding directly to sheet stainless without prior abrasion, then subject to constant vibration in service for years without the least sign of failure :shock:

ScaredyCat":2by25nyo said:
I was "lucky" enough to pick up a Record Power BDS150 from their ebay auction. The auction said it had signs of use but when it arrived the rear cast iron feet were broken off

castiron.png

bds150.png

Is this fixable or should I just send it back - given the weight.

The packing was pretty dire and I'm doubly concerned because I managed to pick up a DP58B form them too and am just awaiting delivery.

Notify the seller, see if they will ship you a replacement. Consumer rights act should cover you, along with the distance selling regulations.

@Ttrees: Just for accuracy, I should correct my last post: for welding "smells" read "fumes". Sorry lack of precision. BTW, I normally use Araldite (the original "24 hour" stuff). While it does smell a bit if I sick my nose right down close down close while mixing, it certainly doesn't fill the cellar with fumes like welding does (I don't have any welding gear at all, and am not much of a dab hand at it, but I have borrowed gear once or twice - result, a cellar full of fumes, even with the 2 doors wide open! As ED 65 has already said, using a good epoxy is a classic method of repairing cast iron and subject to UTTER cleanliness, and in my experience, it works very well indeed.

@ED65: Thanks for the info on CT1. It sounds really good. I've never heard of it before, but just FYI, I couldn't make your link work. But no worries, I'll Google it tomorrow (getting near to bedtime now). Cheers

I just wanted to bump this thread because it needs to be said.

I won an auction on ebay for a BDS150, sold as used / refurb might have dings or scrapes etc. It arrived with the broken cast iron foot (as per pictures above) so I asked if they could help me out.

First of all the appologised for the item arriving damaged like that, then they arranged collection for return to them, no cost to me, no fighting, no struggle or effort required on my part. This morning the replacement arrived. I was just expecting another refurb, nope they sent me a brand new unit. :shock: :D

I know lots of you sing their praises but sometimes you need experience great customer service to believe it's out there. That's how bad service has become these days. Record Power have gone above and beyond my expectations and of course have got themselves a loyal customer out of it. Sure it probably didn't cost them a lot to do, but that's not the point. Most companies wouldn't do that sort of thing at all.

Now I just need to save up for one of thier band saws :D

Glad it all worked out well. I have a few Record Power tools (bs350s bandsaw and dml320 lathe mainly) that have been excellent. It's reassuring to hear their customer service is also great, if ever there are any problems.

Enjoy your new toy!

Back