Traditional finishes for beech?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That came out great Mark. The rippled sycamore looks fantastic!

FWIW I think the sycamore has stayed pale enough but if you'd like to experiment with lighter-coloured oils for popping figure walnut is probably top of the list, it's both lighter in colour initially and yellows less over time than linseed (or tung) and has a long history of use as a wood finish. For an even lighter oil you can be sure will 'dry' you could try poppy oil from the art-supply places, it's very light in colour, but you pay an arm and a leg for it.

Caveat: both dry slowly enough that you shouldn't expect to be able to do one coat a day although that's possible in the summer, especially if you dilute since less oil is deposited so it can oxidise faster.

It was actually poppy oil I was thinking of ED (I'd heard of it before through other routes entirely), but walnut oil I could see being useful as well. I must see if I can find a source, though I've no project in mind that needs it for the next while, given that the thing I'm now working on needs to be stained bright purple :D

Actually, I must see what happens if you stain the wood and afterwards run stringing through it, if it leeches when you finish the surface or anything like that.

Your Japanese box is a real triumph Mark. Seriously, it's absolutely superb.

It's beautifully made, looks wonderful, it's original with a fascinating back story, and it's very useful. I'm sure your father, and indeed anyone else, would be as pleased as punch to receive that as a gift.

Maybe you could make another sometime and post it up as a WIP? I'm sure loads of people here would like to follow in your footsteps on a project like that...me included!

=D>

At this rate Custard, I'll need to learn to make a door first so I can fit wider ones in the house for my head :D
But I'd like to make a few more of those; they're a fun little design, especially the locking wedge setup, and I try to make wooden doodads for junior's school to sell in their xmas bazaar and I have rather a lot of beech lying around so why not...

Actually, speaking of backstory, the walnut for the pegs and the key in that fathers day gift came from offcuts for the cot for his first granddaughter (my niece). Goes to show, homemade gifts have the ability to reach itches others can't scratch :)

And the not-so traditional finish, just for fits and giggles...

IMG_3247a.jpg

IMG_3248a.jpg

Stained with Crimson Guitars "stunning stains shot" in purple (can you tell), with a top coat of gloss lacquer and a final polish of renaissance wax.

Back