myford ml 8 tailstock question..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon k

Reaction score
Hello I have a Myford ML8 wood turning lathe. it was gifted to me with a band saw attachment and a few other bits and bobs, my problem is the tailstock hand wheel is broken. The tailstock is all there apart from the hand wheel. does anybody know the size of the thread, so I can have a go at making one ? or anywhere I could buy one. It is the early cream coloured lathe. Thanks in advance, Simon,
P.S. any info on inter-changeable parts, chucks... etc. would also be handy.

Hello Simon, welcome.

I believe your lathe will have a 1" x 12tpi Whitworth thread on the right hand side of the headstock, and a left handed thread 7/8" x 12tpi on the left side. You can read a little history here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/

The thread on the handwheel will be an acme/square shaped thread, you could measure the dimensions of the tailstock barrel thread if you still have it. How is the handwheel broken? Would it be impossible to save/repair?

thank you , its beyond repair, shards really I shall measure the bar now I know what the thread is called...thanks again. S

Complete tailstocks often go by on e-thing.
One of the benefits of the ML8 is they were made in such large numbers and for so long that used spares are quite common.

If the central hub, with the thread, is intact, would it be possible to reduce the remains of your handwheel to a cylinder? No great precision required, grinder and file will do the job.
You could then epoxy (+/- a locking pin) it into a turned wooden wheel

the centre hub is in pieces unfortunately, otherwise that would be my plan... while I am here does anybody know how to remove the quill and threaded bar, is it something to do with the pin facing you as you look at the tailstock ? f I can get it out I have more options ! or does anybody know where I can buy a L H threaded acme 3/4 8 nut, as a starting point for making another wheel, thanks again for all your help. S

myford2.jpg

To remove the central tailstock quill you only need to remove the grub screw at the front. Unfortunately even if you got hold of the correct nut, you would need to cut a circular groove on the outside to match the shape of the handwheel. You can see in the diagram (part no 48) that this part runs in a groove in the handwheel, so it can rotate but not move in and out.

Unless you know someone prepared to make your component on a metal lathe for a reasonable price, you are probably better off waiting for a complete tailstock to show up second hand. Interesting project for someone with metal lathe skills though! If you are lucky, the handwheel might be shared with another myford lathe, it looks alot like the ML7 handwheel which might be easier to get hold of.

thank you that is brilliant , I do have access to a metal lathe, and welding equipment so I shall have a go. S
:D

Back