Machining lignum.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodywoodwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all.
Having read the posts about Stanley routers, and variants, and seen Derek's obscenely good looking ( but does it work??? :wink: ) router, I have decided to use one of my collection of bowling balls to make one too!
I remember some years ago cutting some particularly hard purple heart on the bandsaw, and wrecking a blade.
Does anyone have any advice for me on how to cut the piece down? It is a complete ball, so will need some careful holding , or an edge planing to it, before cutting on a machine. Or should I handcut it?
I'd rather not wreck any other blades. I have a few bowling balls; should I use one that looks like it has a lighter coloured section, or just use one with all heartwood?
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks guys.
PS - I believe the wrecked blade was caused by the hardness of the wood, rather than poor practice. I use a bit of purple heart, and this bit was something else. It was like metal!

Ah, Pete, thank you very much for your post. The clamp looks good - that's what I'll do. Can I ask whether you ever used a table saw?
I am loathe to pipper up the blade on the big bandsaw - do you think an inca 260 will handle it?
Or am I over concerned? Just do it?
Thx again

The blade should be o/k I never had any trouble cutting across the grain with mine, I wouldn't use the table saw its far to dangerous, you will have a lot of unsupported wood it it catches it will pivot into the blade and cause mayhem.

There is a hole at the top and bottom of the Ball-o-matic 2000 to help clamp the ball.

Pete

Thanks folks, will post some wip's when I go for it.
I have the Dakota pro grip resaw jig. It is the right angle clamp thing that slides across the BS table. I might give that a go. Hhmmm.....

Back