bigger table saw or band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a table saw that cuts a max of 60mm and a band saw that will cut a max of 120mm (flipping the board gets me the same depth. My need is to be able to cut re saw 200m (or more). I have the TS200 from Axminster and overall I am happy with it, of course, it has it limitations and i would like a more powerful beast at some point. So none of the equipment i have will do this, so my question is do i go for a bigger band saw or table saw?

Sorry Scott I'm a bit confused, neither machines will cut anywhere near 200mm what are the overall dimensions of the piece's you wish to cut, if its re-sawing 200 mm into veneers then obviously its a Bandsaw you need, trying to cut that size veneer on a tale saw would need a biblical size saw blade? :ho2

Mike

Hello,

Bandsaw, and a big one at that, relatively speaking. The rule is, manufacturers specs need to be taken with a pinch of salt. If you want to cut 200 mm stuff, then don't get a saw that says it will cut a maximum of 200 mm. Yes, the guides might go that high, but the saw is not likely to cut that much, and if it will, on occasion only and not as a regular thing. I would look for a bandsaw with a max cut of 300 mm.

A tablesaw that will cut 200 mm will be a monster, one with a 450 mm blade might even struggle at that thickness. Big 3 phase ripsaw is unlikely to be a sensible thing, unless you have the space and electricity supply. Do not try to re saw on a smaller tablesaw in 2 passes, without a riving knife installed. You see this a lot on American you tube videos. It often doesn't end well for the operator, though they never show videos of that! Dangerous!!!

Mike.

I have a startrite 352, which is a modest bandsaw. Rated at just under 12" under the guides, it would really struggle with 200mm in oak or other hard woods. I have done 11", but with a new blade and very slowly.
My point is - to cut 200mm you should consider a larger model than the 352, which is going to be a big saw.
Hope this helps

PS. - if I do need to deep cut timber I put the timber thru the table saw, flip it over to leave the minimum possible in the middle, then run it through the bandsaw. The kerf of the two different saw blades means wasted wood, but it does allow a deep cut.

Pps - my riving knife sits below the top of the blade! Probably still not a good idea mind.
Hth

W

ScottGoddard":5rtpgetq said:
I currently have a table saw that cuts a max of 60mm and a band saw that will cut a max of 120mm (flipping the board gets me the same depth. My need is to be able to cut re saw 200m (or more). I have the TS200 from Axminster and overall I am happy with it, of course, it has it limitations and i would like a more powerful beast at some point. So none of the equipment i have will do this, so my question is do i go for a bigger band saw or table saw?

What's your budget?

My Scheppach Basa 3 is probably one of the cheapest bandsaws that will do a 200mm resaw. It is spec'd at 205mm (with a 800w motor). I have actually done a 200mm resaw on it, but it was softwood, Max I have done in hardwood was when I made some walnut door panels and that was at 170mm, but it managed ok.

If you have a decent budget you can easily get this kind of capacity.

You need a resaw not a bandsaw or a table Saw. They generally have as a minimum a 5KW motor and a secondary motor for the feeder (3ph). All feasible on 1ph supply. A secondhand Wadkin that does not require a pit is likely to cost you c£3K

Some say I am wrong...... but if you want ro resaw any amount of 200 mm boards on a bandsaw I don't think you should get anything smaller than my bandsaw. It has 24" wheels.

I table saw with a riving knife that doesn't protrude above the blade and an overarm guard can be used to rip in two passes halfways through. I have done that quite a bit as a stop gap method before I had a bandsaw. Though I found it very important to not stand in the direct line of fire and to use long push sticks as there will be occasional kickbaks.
For doing lots of 100 mm deep rip cuts I think anything smaller than my table saw which has a 3,7kW 3 phase motor and a 400 mm blade would be too small.

Actually I have bought and rebuilt a cirkular rip saw which should be able to rip 200 mm in one pass but it is a monster not suitable for hobbyists. The motor is 7,5kW three phase. The blade should be 600 mm in diametre. It is awaiting the funds needed to buy an electric switch and a blade.
If you are a hobbyist I don't think you should follow that route.

woodywoodwood":13xn6fi5 said:
I have a startrite 352, which is a modest bandsaw. Rated at just under 12" under the guides, it would really struggle with 200mm in oak or other hard woods. I have done 11", but with a new blade and very slowly.
My point is - to cut 200mm you should consider a larger model than the 352, which is going to be a big saw.
Hope this helps

PS. - if I do need to deep cut timber I put the timber thru the table saw, flip it over to leave the minimum possible in the middle, then run it through the bandsaw. The kerf of the two different saw blades means wasted wood, but it does allow a deep cut.

Pps - my riving knife sits below the top of the blade! Probably still not a good idea mind.
Hth

W

Hi thanks, i currently flip on the table saw. I would always do this but i dont have anything that depth to cut to 20cm. With the current method, it leaves 60mm to be hand cut :(

i think that some of the suggestions here are unrealistic.

A bandsaw bigger than a 12"
a resaw with 5kw motor
a bandsaw with 24" wheels

A well set up bandsaw, with the correct blade, will rip through 8" timber with ease. I know that my axminster will.

The OP is upgrading from a TS200 tablesaw.

OP needs a bigger bandsaw to cut 20cm, I have the Axminster AWHBS450N and it easily cuts 28cm oak with room to spare. I also use tuffsaw blades.

Mark A":2e7d8ic0 said:
Use a reciprocating saw to cut the material left by your table saw.

I like this idea....although i don't have one have those either, but much cheaper...

cedarwood":38m1usv9 said:
OP needs a bigger bandsaw to cut 20cm, I have the Axminster AWHBS450N and it easily cuts 28cm oak with room to spare. I also use tuffsaw blades.

I have a Record Power BS350 the specification of it says it will cut 230mm, although I have never cut at that depth I don't doubt it would be capable, with the Tuffsaw blade it glides through 150m Oak without a problem.

Mik

marcros":359wqi9k said:

a resaw with 5kw motor

A well set up bandsaw, with the correct blade, will rip through 8" timber with ease. I know that my axminster will.

What's your Axy?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

heimlaga":25vu6wbl said:
Some say I am wrong...... but if you want ro resaw any amount of 200 mm boards on a bandsaw I don't think you should get anything smaller than my bandsaw. It has 24" wheels.
That's a big bandsaw. It might be worth clarifying why you think this...

Bodgers":m0fgh690 said:
heimlaga":m0fgh690 said:
That's a big bandsaw. It might be worth clarifying why you think this...

That's a small bandsaw to me.....coming from a more industrial background. I spent a lot of time searchjing for a small yet solid one before I found the bandsaw I have.

Anyway..... the reason is that I find it hard to steer a narrow blade in a deep resaw cut. With larger wheels the wider blade can be used.

However I know that with super slow feed rate some people manage big resaw jobs on even smaller bandsaws but then it is a question of just a few pieces which can almost as easily be resawed using a coarse rip handsaw for a fraction of the cost for a bandsaw.

Heimlaga, I have two bandsaws, at my dry dock I have a Wadkin, I'm not sure of the wheel size, probably 30" with a 5KW 3 phase motor and a 14" Record BS400 in my shed at home. The Wadkin, which is older than me, and will probably outlive me, is a far superior machine, built like a tank, while the Record is built very much to a budget, however, both do essentially them same thing. I would rather saw 200mm of oak on the Record with a sharp blade than the Wadkin with a blunt one, that said I'd rather use the Wadkin with a freshly sharpened blade. Earlier this year I had to move the Wadkin from one end of the workshop to the other. this took 2 of us a full day to do, The Record I move around my shed all the time, so there are some advantages in a smaller machine.
To the OP I would advise buying a larger bandsaw rather than table saw, something similar to my Record 400 will cut 200mm of oak no problem

Bodgers":2xoren6e said:
marcros":2xoren6e said:

a resaw with 5kw motor

What's your Axy?

I forget the model, it is one of the Axminster plus ones which have been replaced with something else now. 12" under guides and it will cut to the capacity of the guides with the right blade and feed speed.

Back