New Workshop Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

The doors on my workshop are looking particularly tired and need replacing and as I've never made anything like this before I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions as I go along.

This is what they look like now:

outside.jpg

From the inside you can see the big gap at the top where they have sagged

inside-1.jpg

I have some cladding that I bought ages ago just for this task but I've put it off long enough and really need to get the job done as they're falling apart and give me very little security.

I assume I need to make a frame to start with with M&T joints and looking through some of the threads on here the M&Ts should be through joints with wedges. I would also like to have a small door within one of the larger doors for daily entry (I'm sure there must be a special name for such a door but I have no idea what it is). This smaller door will obviously complicate the construction.

Before I get to that however, I need to decide the best material to make the frames from.

Any suggestions?

regards

Brian

Hi,

Its a Judas gate, I think it would get complicated but not impossible to make one, but how about one large one small door say 1/4 and 3/4.

Pete

Hi,

I would recommend HEMLOCK as an alternative to just using redwood. Adding the smaller door into the gate would be as hard as you think, however as your gates aren't really that big, It would probably be better to have one 1/4 gate and the other 3/4.

If you wanted to add the small door into the gate, you would just have to put rails top and bottom of the door, and mullions either side of the door, Just mortice and tennon.

Thanks for the replies,

The reason I wouldn't want to make the doors as 3/4 & 1/4 is because the 3/4 door would be too heavy. Total size of the opening is about 10 feet by about 7 feet 6 inches which is big for me.

Hemlock - I don't think I've seen that advertised anywhere locally. Any ideas of suppliers within striking distance of Colwyn Bay or alternative suggestions?

regards

Brian

Those doors don't look beyond redemption to me........have you thought about fixing them up? It would be a whole lot easier than starting from scratch (and a whole lot cheaper).

You could take them off, clean them up, put a sash cramp or a ratchet strap across the diagonal and pull them straight, then screw sheets of ply into the gap between the ledges on the inside. They will never sag again! A bit of decorating.......Job done in a day or two.......

.........just a thought!

Mike

Mike Garnham":19a99wlo said:
Those doors don't look beyond redemption to me........have you thought about fixing them up? It would be a whole lot easier than starting from scratch (and a whole lot cheaper).

You could take them off, clean them up, put a sash cramp or a ratchet strap across the diagonal and pull them straight, then screw sheets of ply into the gap between the ledges on the inside. They will never sag again! A bit of decorating.......Job done in a day or two.......

.........just a thought!

Mike

:lol: just what i would do.

i have got two sets of garage doors to make like these for my new workshop (its all thats stoping me from getting it weather tight) i will be watching intently :-k

John

Mike Garnham":3p9pefhw said:

.........just a thought!

Mike

They really are bad Mike.

The two doors are split into two each so they originally folded but haven't done so for many years. They are held together inside with bits of steel strapping and are rotten at the bottom. I may be able to use some of the timber in the making of the new doors, but new doors it has to be.

Anyway, I might even enjoy the project :D

Simon,

Thanks for the link to Sykes Timber. Looking on their site they mention Hemlock as being non-durable, so I am a little puzzled that you recommend it for these doors. I would have thought a hardwood would have been suggested. Just my thoughts.

regards

Brian

I thought cost was an issue here. I would have recommended a hard wood, over hemlock if I had of realised cost was not an issue. I just recommend Hemlock over the use of ordinary redwood.

Theres lot's of hardwoods that can be used. Sapele, oak, meranti, mahogany, to name a few. The hardwood index may be of some use to you in choosing if you want to use hardwood.
http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/hardwood.html

Hi Simon,

Sorry about the confusion there, I just thought a hardwood would do a better job but not sure which one. I wouldn't say cost was not an issue at all but I just want to do the best job I can within reason.

I'll have a look now and see what's available.

regards

Brian

Like mike and others i would repair them you can get 6mm exterior ply in 10x5 sheets i would remove hardware ,straighten ,replace bottom, rail cut back t&g and replace with ply fix the door pairs together then cover the repaired doors with the ply so it faces outwards replacing hardware as required paint up etc.

Well, I've been thinking about this job for the past couple of weeks and while I appreciate that some people might choose to repair the doors, I have decided to make new ones.

I am thinking of using chestnut wood, according to the Sykes site it is quite durable but not too expensive. Mind you if I buy it from Sykes it will be, they quoted me about £350.00 for the wood and probably about £150.00 for delivery, so I'm going to see what I can get locally.

I still plan to put the judas gate in one of the doors and I've drawn this plan to give some idea of what I'm aiming at.

small_plan.jpg

If the image is a bit small on your screen there ia a higher-res one here

I'll let you know how I get on

regards

Brian

Sweet chestnut sounds like a good choice - often used as a substitute for oak,and was at one time the preferred timber for roof shingles.
Will look forward to the pictures :D

Andrew

I don't know about Chestnut, never used it.

The design you have planned out looks good. Just be sure to brace the Judas Gate as well.

I suggest you use 18mm T&G bords, instead of thinner ones.

I like the look of your design and those braces - I knew there was something missing on those old doors!! :D :wink:

Chestnut is a good choice and will certainly be durable enough to withstand the elements. I haven't come across much of it locally so I'm not sure how it compares, cost-wise, to something like oak?

Okay, bought this today:

wood_pile.jpg

I got it from Dave Hoyle in Llangernyw, I know some people on this forum have used him in the past and he is local to me.

Dave is really helpful - where else can you go and buy hardwood on a Sunday :) He helped to make sure I got some decent pieces (virtually no knots) and even loaded it on my roof rack for me:

dave01.jpg

dave02.jpg

dave03.jpg

The wood cost me more than I was anticipating but I had to buy more wood because of the lengths. I made a start cutting the wood this afternoon but stopped as I want to make sure I cut with minimal waste - any secrets? I'll have some nice offcuts of chestnut when I've finished :lol:

The wood is nice & easy to cut and I can see why it is sometimes substituted for oak, if it's as durable as suggested then I'll be happy.

Probably won't get to do much more now until next weekend.

regards

Brian

joiner_sim":1527hxo3 said:
The design you have planned out looks good. Just be sure to brace the Judas Gate as well.

I suggest you use 18mm T&G bords, instead of thinner ones.

I do plan to brace the Judas Gate, I just didn't show it on the drawing. To be honest I got fed up at the end and just drew some lines where the Judas Gate should be. (I drew it in Photoshop cause I can't get my head around Sketchup).

I have some T&G timber that I've had for a while just for this job and I checked today and it is 18mm.

OPJ":1527hxo3 said:
I like the look of your design and those braces - I knew there was something missing on those old doors!! :D :wink:

Chestnut is a good choice and will certainly be durable enough to withstand the elements. I haven't come across much of it locally so I'm not sure how it compares, cost-wise, to something like oak?

I think the lack of braces is probably why the old doors have dropped like they have. I may also line the fields with some ply that I've got for added strength as well as the braces - what do you think?

Good start Brian

I bet getting the boards off at the other end (where presumably you didn't have a forklift) was a bit of a game!

Cheers, Ed

No problem with the weight I just thought the forks would scratch the roof :shock:
Obviously had passengers or he would have chucked it in the back :lol:

Back