New work - critique welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
A hollow form in morrocan walnut , segmented with maple ,4 inches in dia

other woods used - boxwood,macassar ebony,ash(steam bent and ebonised) and Lime

Finish - Danish oil and wax

That looks very elegant, creative and well executed! I particularly like the detail where the horizontal support joins the curved base. The sphere appears to have more mass above the horizontal support, which you would expect would make it swivel and hang top down. I guess it`s fixed to prevent that?

Ian

I really like it though in the spirit of critique I would prefer the finial to be less extravagant. The piece as a whole has a lovely simplicity which is very appealing but the finial seems to me to detract from it. Just my personal taste, doesn't reflect on the piece as a whole which is lovely.

Pete

A beautiful piece ,really calming to my eye love it .

As for critique I wouldn't dare ,I had a look at your other pieces and am I glad I kept me big mouth shut . :lol: :lol:

You have a great mind and the skills to back it up . =D> =D>

Thank you for showing .

That's a fantastic piece! Very skillfully executed. My only minor criticism is along the lines of Pete's - I think the finial's complex shape detracts from the simplicity and overall form of the piece.

Thanks all for your kind comments
As regards the finial - i did make more than one lid for the hollow form :D
Will post more pics when i get the chance

Back