New Scroller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggrajag

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've always fancied making something with my hands and now I've got to "that age" and I'm passed computers I got inspiration from seeing loads of woodworked items in Bruges recently - particularly "Schwibbogen" which are a sort of traditional German candle display.

My first item was a crude chunk of pallet turned into a "Mark heart Jane" motif, my second was a small nameplate for a 50th birthday present out of birch plywood but here's my third item, as you can see I'm trying to run before I can walk but I'm reasonably pleased with it. (I hate that I know where all the design mistakes are, and small blips that no-one else can see!)

Oddly I also hate the final stages - the dying, varnishing, gluing and wiring - it's the actual scrolling I love!

Now to find some decent wood - I'm really struggling with raw materials :(

FirstSchwibbogen.jpg

Attachments

• FirstSchwibbogen.jpg
    FirstSchwibbogen.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 1,036
Love it! and welcome to the forum......love the Owl on the branch. Regarding faults, I like to make my own patterns and one of the bonus's of that is if you go wrong you can can just change it so no'one will know if you make a mistake :)

Cheers
Brian
Ps what's ya name? Aggra?

Hi Brian. Thanks for the nice comments. My real name is Mark.

I designed it myself in Paint Shop Pro using some silhouettes sourced online and some silhouettes made myself. I actually glued the LEDs on the wrong side so I know the entire front panel is the wrong way around but shhh, don't tell anyone!

I created the template in layers so I could view them in different shades (to get an effect of depth) but then print them out individually.

My next one is much more complicated (as are "real" Schwibbogen.)

If anyone has any use for this then please feel free to take it, or even ask for the separate layers.

Template.jpg

Attachments

• Template.jpg
    Template.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,011
Its excellent Mark and i love the layers idea and can see it working for allsorts of work......the picture looks like outside my home as we have the same animals and trees here :cool: the Hare's are at the bottom of our land and there was an Owl sitting on my studio roof last night (the sheeps in the freezer lol only joking)
Look forward to seeing more work but as the other guys on here will tell you.... Scroll Saws are addictive and many of us have been to rehab but always say "No No No" 9-) (RIP Amy)
Cheers
Brian
Ps the other guys will be along later they must all be busy at the moment

That looks great and who is to know that you turned the front round. I'm with Brian re faults - When I was an apprentice I remember my foreman telling me that a conduit I had installed vertically, but next to a wonky frame, needed to be changed as it was more important that it "looked" right.

I've never heard of "Schwibbogen" but a quick image search on Google reveals some amazing examples. I reckon one of these is definitely on the cards.

Any chance of you posting the layers?

Hi Mark, it sounds like I am in good company as I hate the finishing too, but love the scrolling. Over 4 years and hundreds of items, I could count the finished ones on one hand. Once they are cut, I lose interest, and my O/H has them all stored somewhere, possibly never to be seen again. :)

Hi Mark, love your piece, especially the animals and birds the only thing that spoils it is the wires (red) showing, could you not hide them or at least use a less obtrusive colour of wire?

FWIW I absolutely hate the sanding and finishing too! I am usually pleased with my cutting out etc but feel that I always spoil my work with poor finishing.

I also like creating or adapting patterns, (I use Photoshop or Coreldraw,) Last year I bought an A3 scanner/printer which is brilliant for doing patterns.

Aggrajag":360j71v4 said:
I designed it myself in Paint Shop Pro using some silhouettes sourced online and some silhouettes made myself. I actually glued the LEDs on the wrong side so I know the entire front panel is the wrong way around but shhh, don't tell anyone!

I created the template in layers so I could view them in different shades (to get an effect of depth) but then print them out individually.

If anyone has any use for this then please feel free to take it, or even ask for the separate layers.

I think this design is brilliant. :)

I ordered warm-white LEDs for the lighting but after I'd soldered them all the right length and ready to glue on I discovered they were green and ruined the effect. I resorted to a "scalextric" set of lights I'd ordered from Ebay which were 4 warm-light LEDs but all with the same length wire which meant there was too much bundled up in the middle.

I have bought a roll of LEDs that you can cut in any length (in groups of 3) and I plan to carefully tease the hot glue off with a chisel and lay a thin strip of these behind the front layer - this will have no wiring except from the battery to the strip and should hopefully look MUCH better.

I've uploaded the templates to my site. They're quite large as I like to keep the detail so they're about 500Kb each and will need re-sizing to suit your needs. If you print them at 100% using the native 300DPI they're almost 14 inches wide which needs A3 (which I used) but if you just fit-to-A4 I'm sure they'll work just as well.

Maybe you could even crop the image to remove the ends and then print the remaining image bigger on A4, then manually add the ends back on when cutting?

http://www.dilutedwater.co.uk/Scrolling/Schwibbogen_Front_Layer.jpg
http://www.dilutedwater.co.uk/Scrolling/Schwibbogen_Back_Layer.jpg

Thank you all for your kind comments and I think you're right, it's addictive :D I knocked out the cat puzzle in an hour last night, it's amazing what you can do with a little concentration!

Aggrajag":2pcdeotd said:
I've uploaded the templates to my site. They're quite large as I like to keep the detail so they're about 500Kb each and will need re-sizing to suit your needs. If you print them at 100% using the native 300DPI they're almost 14 inches wide which needs A3 (which I used) but if you just fit-to-A4 I'm sure they'll work just as well.

Maybe you could even crop the image to remove the ends and then print the remaining image bigger on A4, then manually add the ends back on when cutting?

http://www.dilutedwater.co.uk/Scrolling/Schwibbogen_Front_Layer.jpg
http://www.dilutedwater.co.uk/Scrolling/Schwibbogen_Back_Layer.jpg

Thanks for these Mark, I think I might have a bash at them a bit later today.

I have some led strip left over from a caravan lighting job, so that may be ideal.

Regards

Phill

Back