New Hegner, Workshop Tidy Up & Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
While the SEV was on order I decided to have a tidy up and organise my tools, instead of moving them from place to another. The SEV had been delayed a couple of times and was pushed back to
sometime in March, so I ordered the Multicut instead which was in stock. Haven't had much of a play but I made one of Martin's Cats while the daughter was here for the weekend, all
I can say at the moment is, it's bloody fantastic and I'm chuffed to bits :D

This is sort of what it looked like before, the Sealey use to sit where the saw and drills are!

And this how is how it looks today. I'm hoping to get a Numatic extractor in a few weeks, this will sit under the bench and serve the scroll saw and pillar drill.
I also need to make a few shelves to fit inside the square frame, there's a few tools in the cupboard to go there and they'll be on hand when needed.
The table space infront of the chisels I'm hoping to put bench top disc/belt sander. I currently have the Clarke 6" x 9" belt/disc sander which I'll sell
first. You'll see in the last image that I can't get to it.

I took the magnifying light off the table clamp and popped it on the wall to help free up a little table space.

So my scroll saw area is nice and tidy, this is what the rest of the shed looks like and what I'll be sorting out before I start using the saw with passion!
The belt/disc sander is to the right of the chip extractor.

WOW Pete. I never imagined that your workshop would look like that. Its a cross between an operating theatre and a woodworking retail showroom. It is spotless but I think when you get underway it will be difficult to keep it so clean, you could eat your dinner off the floor. Having said all that it is a proper workshop and you will spent countless hours in there creating all sorts of things. I hope you have some heating in there. The lighting is brilliant. Well done.

I wish my workshop was a s clean as that! I have cobwebs coated in dust everywhere and my floor is usually covered in sawdust and metal filings!

It's not normally that clean, just a little tidy up for the family album :) I have six, four foot stripe lights from Wilko, although the brightness of the images would be down to the flash gun bounced in to the ceiling,
and then a little bit of tweaking the "Levels" in Photoshop.

I love the Clarke CS6-9C Brian but It'll have to go sadly, extending the bench has taken up a lot room and at some point I'll have to make a smaller base for the table saw.
I really fancy the Clarke CBS1, I reckon the 1" belt would be very handy for small pieces of work. It's a shame you can't buy just a bench top belt sander at a reasonable price,
the cheapest I've found is the Axminster Trade at a little over £300.00.

I have a small fan heater Geoff and a Halogen heater from Wilko. I pretty much left that on one bar throughout winter a couple of years ago, but over the past few months
it hasn't dropped below 4 degrees in there. I pop the fan heater ten minutes before I go in so by the time I've brewed up and gathered my senses it's all nice and cosy.
A while back I put the Halogen on full and the fan heater for instant comfort, popped back in the house just as the phone rang. Half an hour later the shed was 27 degrees,
the house has never been that warm.

Good job Pete. You've done a brilliant job there and have every right to be pleased with the result.

Forget the scrolling matey, get yourself hired out as a workshop architect. Buy a nice white van and duster and bring old dowdy workshops back to life. Make a bomb ;-)

Barry

Pete.

First class job, I am just glad that my long haired boss was not looking over my shoulder when I opened your thread. :wink:

Take care.

Chris R.

Appreciate the comments Barry and Chris. It didn't all quite go according to plan. When I picked the pillar drill up a few weeks back, I set the base up, drilled the holes and bolted it to the table, exactly where the scroll saw is. I then came to put the motor/head on, only to find the wall was in the way :oops: I've plugged to holes which you can see just to the right of the saw. The only place for the drill was in the corner,
once that was secure I built everything else around it. I'm hoping to make some some angled shelves behind the drill to keep the battery chargers on, they're in a drawer at the moment in the T/S.

I just had another look at the pictures, this must be the Rolls Royce of workshops, even the tool racks are finished with nice routered ovolo edges! :shock: :) Very impressive.

I had a little play with a chisel holder last year, MDF sprayed white. I had several lengths of Ash, 20mm x 70mm, so decided to use this for the tool racks with a routered edge and finished in
boiled linseed oil. Making the dowl for the hammer was fun, but I cracked it on the fourth attempt!

Very impressive--- just spent 2 days sorting out my shed and it is still a mess

John

PeteG":omtxm464 said:
I had a little play with a chisel holder last year, MDF sprayed white. I had several lengths of Ash, 20mm x 70mm, so decided to use this for the tool racks with a routered edge and finished in
boiled linseed oil. Making the dowl for the hammer was fun, but I cracked it on the fourth attempt!

Astonishing attention to detail . . . d'ya do house calls?

Thanks Jon :) I had a job cancelled this morning so I should be in there now sorting the other half out, but I know it'll all end up on the bench :D

bodgerbaz":366e3mll said:
PeteG":366e3mll said:

Astonishing attention to detail . . . d'ya do house calls?

I could do to Barry, always fancied a spot of sight seeing around Germany, I could bring you over some more Wood Silk from Wilko :D

Fantastic "shop area" Pete! Well done Sir.

As you'll be doing a bit of sightseeing (after your house calls) in Germany, you'd better add on a few Kms and come on into Switzerland! I'm in urgent need of a house call here, especially if you can magic away saw dust & spider's webs from my (warm) cellar here. Not too far from the German border either (well, one of them anyway).

I have both a Karcher shop vac and a cheapo Aldi or Lidl (I forget which) "ashes vac". Both suck excellently, and (mainly because I have little in the way of extraction - as yet - apart from coupling up the individual sander, etc, with the hose), both are doing fine with little clogging up. But I do need to do something with some better filtration, especially better extraction from the fixed belt/disc sander, etc, and most importantly, something with MUCH LESS noise than either the above vacs (and not too expensive either, see below, so Festool is out).

So any suggestions anyone? I shall soon-ish be adding a "proper" scroll saw plus either a bobbin or a flat- bed sander (home-made), so soon now decent dust extraction/filtration will be a must or even the spiders will start complaining, never mind the missus!

Krgds
AES

The Henry is the best vacuum you can get. It is also the quietist. It has 2 stage motor so you can go from normal suction, which is more than enough, to extra powerful suction. I have 2 in my workshop. I can even hear my CDs playing when I have them on.

Appreciate the comments AES :) I hope you do nice cakes in Switzerland, my stomach has become a bit of cake sanctuary over the years :lol:

It's taken a while but my shed has come a long way from how it looked when we bought the house in 2011. This was taken in 2013 just after I had a big clear out and had
started taking old shelves down and the strip lights. I didn't go in there that often, the spiders were HUGE! One of them looked at me a bit funny like, so I left them to it.

Staying with the Numatic brand Geoff, this is the one I'd like to put under the bench http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-nv750-workshop-vacuum-extractor
I think I know how I'm going to set the extraction up for the saw and pillar drill, next job after I've finished tidying up.

Thanks for the advice Chippygeoff and Pete. Henry is available here, so I think that may be the answer (I often listen to the radio in my shop).

If you need any more encouragement Pete, cakes here are VERY good (and I have the waist line to prove it!), though like everything else here, they cannot be described as cheap.

Thanks both.

AES

Nice neat looking workshop, Pete, but how long will it stay that way? One thing though, you might just have given me the incentive to buy some cheap white paint and paint the inside of my garage. It's so dismal in there that I hate going in unless it's warm enough to have the door open and let some daylight in.

Back