Mini Review - KT Tools carvers mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickCheese

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This afternoon I popped over to see Jim (Jimi43) who had kindly agreed to make me a smallish mallet.
The head was a lignum vitae bowling ball the handle wych elm.

Isn't it beautiful! This is a picture Jim sent me before I picked it up so I have cropped it a bit so you can see the fine workmanship.
Mallet1.jpg

It is 220mm in length and weighs 0.316kg or 11.1oz and fits my hand perfectly.
I wanted this for quite delicate work, up to now I have been using a Crown Tools square beech mallet weighing 0.461kg or 1lb.

A comparison for size with my Crown Mallet
MalletCompare.JPG

The workmanship is second to none, the fit of the handle to the body is perfect, the finish is so smooth and the figuring in the wood is just stunning.

I did try it out as soon as I got home. The ridges on the handle fit my hands perfectly, the angle of the head is just right for striking the top of a chisel, it is light enough for extended use but heavy enough to give the tool a good whack. Remember I wanted this for delicate work, I don't envisage chopping out deep mortices with it.

I will take some more pictures soon.

Not too much I can say really other then I am so pleased with the results, it is perfect as a tool, it looks great, it is well made and I love the contrast of the dark head against the pale handle.

It also came in it's own leather pouch, again handmade by Jim with a small lozenge attached to the strap with the KT Tools logo stamped into the wood.

My Thanks to Jim, who I understand may be making some more.

In conclusion, I get a bespoke tool, made to an incredible standard at a very reasonable price. Being made by someone you know just makes it so much better.

Mick

Attachments

• Mallet1.jpg
    Mallet1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,310
  • MalletCompare.JPG
    MalletCompare.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 2,310
As promised some more pictures.

Here it is with its handmade leather wallet.
DSC_0642.JPG

And as snug as a bug in a rug.
DSC_0635.JPG

Now its little name plate.
DSC_0644.JPG

I can only say thanks again to Jim (jimi43) for doing this for me, I am sure this will inspire me to create better things myself.

I do know he has a couple more bowling balls, How many mallets can one person own? :D I don't think he will mind me saying that if you want one drop him a PM, he may oblige and do the same for you.

Mick

Attachments

• DSC_0635.JPG
    DSC_0635.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,279
  • DSC_0642.JPG
    DSC_0642.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,279
  • DSC_0644.JPG
    DSC_0644.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,279
Fine mallet indeed Jim, I have handled it, it's very 'right'. We know it looks nice, but the balance and proportion is very important too (we use 'em don't we), and it will work a treat.
Mick - did he give you the free 'Jim fixed it for me' badge? If not you was done.

:oops: Thank you guys...and especially Mick for doing the Mini Review...I am well chuffed!

I have made another...just for me...a spare should Mick not like that one...and am in the process of making a larger one too...

DSC_0678.JPG

With only six bowls...it won't exactly be a long production run...just a preliminary range to see what grabs people's interest as I develop various concepts.

I hope it gives you good service...Mick...show us some pictures of your carving...that fact that it is being looked after by someone with a clear love of tools is enough pleasure for me!

Douglas...I must make some badges... :mrgreen:

Cheers guys!

Jimi

Just an update and to show how the lignum vitae darkens from freshly cut....

Two more mallets...one sold and one reserved...more to come:

DSC_0757.JPG

The larger one has a spalted holly handle...lovely figuring but a bu**er to work...still we got there in the end!

DSC_0755.JPG

I intend to make some other shapes with the remaining bowls and I think I will do a cocobolo handle too...if I can put up with everything being orange again. No matter how much extraction that stuff gets everywhere!

DSC_0761.JPG

I didn't think lignum vitae would be easy to work as it is so hard but to turn with sharp tools is an absolute pleasure!

Cheers

Jim

very nice jim, saw a very nice set of 4 large boules for £20 at the car booty is that a good price?

adidat

adidat":2bpyrl3d said:
very nice jim, saw a very nice set of 4 large boules for £20 at the car booty is that a good price?

adidat

Boules or bowls...depends on the size...but if they are standard lawn bowls made of LV I'd snap them up....

Jim

Carving, Carving!

There's no way I'm hitting anything with my nice new mallet :lol:

Actually I have used it to do some dovetails but they are just not good enough to photograph. No fault of the mallet, it was just the right weight and really comfortable to use.

When I did some with my old Crown mallet it made my wrist ache after a while, no signs of that this time.

It is a pleasure to use and just looks so nice. If I gave up woodworking it would make a fantastic ornament.

Mick

jimi43":1v2rxklq said:
adidat":1v2rxklq said:

adidat

Boules or bowls...depends on the size...but if they are standard lawn bowls made of LV I'd snap them up....

Jim

about the size of a cantaloupe and made of LV

adidat

adidat":1z1t6aa0 said:
jimi43":1z1t6aa0 said:
adidat":1z1t6aa0 said:

adidat

Jim

about the size of a cantaloupe and made of LV

adidat

Lawn bowl then...snap them up if you see them again...they are like rocking horse poo these days!

Jimi

Nice mallets Jim...just don't make the lignum heads too big :oops: as they get too hard to wield for long - Rob...who needs more Wheetabix's

Called by jim the other day, and was presented with a KT Tools mallet, complete with leather bag and yew tag with my initials and the KT Tools logo.
Apart from the embarrassment of riches, I was amazed and very grateful.
The mallet is beautifully turned and finished, the LV head looks rich and creamy, with a deep lustre and very smooth finish.
The handle is spalted holly which has, in a way, been (re)turned. [I mean it's sort of come back home, turned.]
It has plenty of mass yet is easy to hold right up near the head for more control when needed.
I'll be keeping this one for best. It makes my old commercial one (green LV and plain beech handle) look quite rough.

Many thanks indeed Jim, humbled and deeper in debt.
mallet.jpg

Attachments

• mallet.jpg
    mallet.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,047
Douglas, my friend!

Glad you like it...I'm sure the debt is still firmly in my direction... :wink:

Thanks for the review within the review and I'm glad you like it. Something to dent your new bench with! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jimi

jimi43":1shgw0l8 said:
LuptonM":1shgw0l8 said:
They look expensive. How much are these (not that i can afford one right now)?

PM sent :wink:

Jim

They are most definitely not 'expensive'. But expensive is relative, I thought mine was fantastic value for money, it will last me a life time and is beautiful, a pleasure to use. (hammer)

Mick

A word on the mallets - just been using mine today (smaller mortices on the bench I am building). I'll say now that at first I quietly thought... oooh, it may be a bit big / heavy. Not in the least. Today I had two channels to clear out, about 12mm x 15mm deep, 80mm long. One LN chisel and that mallet - what a combination =D>
It has plenty of mass and the A2 chisels can take some punch - the combination is awesome. Like one down from full-on mortice 'pig sticker' stock removal, but far more control and a true delight to use... and for a while too (i.e. no fatigue). It really is a cracker, my old shop-bought LV mallet does not come close. Jim is a mate of mine but that aside, these LV mallets are honestly really great to work with. From now on, it will be the first I reach for. It's up there with Richard's holdfasts, and from me that is saying something. (And no, I do NOT hit the holdfasts with the mallet... that would be down-right ignorant).
Hugely recommended. There are a very small number of tools that you go to all the time. This will surely be one of them.

Back