Melinda Box Wip - finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

so here's the start of my box. There's not gonna be any complex joinery here im afraid but just a lot of enjoyment!
Due the the job change many of you may be aware of, moneys a bit tight so have decided to use some off cuts from work and make it a recycled box! ...... I love to recycle too!

So the stock so far is oak vaneered mdf

I then took the opportunity to use the big table saw... Which i have a great deal of fear and respect for!.... As you can see by the blade burn!.... And put some mitres on.
Being inexperienced so far on the saw... The sizes are not exact but close to the sudgested sizes.

I've taken my inspiration for my box from one of my favourite bits of furniture I've seen made so far at work.
I may draw up some plans but will probably just go by the ones in my head!

Edit...After reading the other wip's..... Feel a bit inadequate with my vaneered mdf and lack of complex ripping and joining!

Attachments

• 2013-02-22 14.19.22.jpg
    2013-02-22 14.19.22.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 3,741
  • 2013-02-22 14.19.53.jpg
    2013-02-22 14.19.53.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3,741
Melinda_dd":2od8w8cx said:
Edit...After reading the other wip's..... Feel a bit inadequate with my vaneered mdf and lack of complex ripping and joining!

Don't, you've already beaten me and countless others! Not been here long but the WIPs make the best reading so thanks for posting one up and good luck with it :)

Dean

DMF":2i3v2eyj said:
Melinda_dd":2i3v2eyj said:

Don't, you've already beaten me and countless others! Not been here long but the WIPs make the best reading so thanks for posting one up and good luck with it :)

Dean

:D
Ahhhhh fanx

What Dean said! I tried to put a simple mitred box together before Christmas. And failed miserably, and I do mean MISERABLY!
It doesn't matter how good or bad you are, just so long as you keep enjoying it and try to push your boundaries a bit.

Looking good so far anyhoo and again, as Dean says above, the WIP/build threads are the best bit in my opinion so keep 'em coming!

Bit more done on the thinking side of things!

Figured out what else i need offcut wise for the box
Also got the ironmongery for it... Hinges r not what i thought they were,so will have to Live with them
I wanted them to fit seamless ( not sure how to describe.... Like a door?)
Didn't read the discrption and got these which have to fit on the outside of the box as they only bend 90degrees
I can't justify buying more so will live with them

Attachments

• 2013-03-02 15.54.18.jpg
    2013-03-02 15.54.18.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 3,207
Melinda
If i can find them i have some solid brass butt hinges that i took off boxes years ago. You are more than welcome to a pair if you want? :)

Found them, they may be too big? I take it that is 12mm mdf you used?

20130303_104351.jpg

If they are suitable and you want them, i can get them posted out to you in the next couple of days :)

Hi
thank you so much for the offer but yes it is 12mm mdf. So they would be slightly too big
such a kind offer none the less.

Thank you

Hi, Melinda

Have a look in Wilcos I get some small brass hinges from there, the quality seems to be dropping, but with a good polish then look fine.
They will fit 12mm MDF.

Pete

Strangely, Screwfix still do decent quality Eclipse brass hinges in packs of 10 pairs at a fair price. No doubt they will be silently replaced by a downmarket pressed plated steel version at some random point in the future :roll:

Little update.

The body of the box is edged and glued up... Went for the masking tape option
The mitres aren't as accurate as i would have liked...... Not sure if this was my cutting or inacurate saw (i have been told this particular saw ain't all that)

Also have gathered enough off cuts for the base and lid so have started edging them..... Little stack in the picture

i have also acquired somemore hinges so i can choose which to use.

Attachments

• 2013-03-12 09.45.49.jpg
    2013-03-12 09.45.49.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,726
Guess it's a bit late but when I did my box making session the guy rough cut the mitres then sanded them on a big disk sander for accuracy. He kept checking the fit and adjusting his jig until it was perfect.

I don't think he trusted any saw to be 100% accurate.

i have a wixey. brilliant bit of kit for setting machine fences and blades.

Just do a pair of test cuts, put them together and see if come out square. Adjust if needed

You should have cut them on one of the two altendorf's you have there.

they were both being used at the time, and i tend to stick to the one i have been trained on the most.

The box looks good tho so alls well.

Question on finishing......

I have either polyurethane aerosol or Danish oil. Not sure which to use yet but...
My question is which ever i use what's the process with denibbin? The only finishes I've used have been on turning stuff so not really and clue!

Latest posts

Back