Making a door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok i know i have to finish making the window but ive been very busy its had to take a back seat . Only the stops to put on anyway .
But i have been asked to make this door

DSC00396.jpg

I wont be starting it for a few days so id like the forums opinions on how to do the arches at the top and the beading to hold in the glass . My front door is a bit like this and putty has been used to hold the glass in .

JFC wrote:
But i have been asked to make this door

Why, you've already got one. :)

Make a template of 6mm MDF and use it to cut the arches one third at the time so that they are all the same.
I think for beading that tight you may have to steam bend, if you're painting it use Ash. Ive done it using a former, water and a hot air gun.

Dom

Thats the way i was going to do it and then rebate it using a bearing guided cutter in the router . Not sure i'm brave enough to start thinking about the ring fence on the sm yet :oops:

Ring fence on SM much easier than you'd expect, in my experience. Have a trial go on some heavy bits of scrap. I did the door architrave here below as my first ring fence effort. Some bits ring fenced, other bits in a curved jig held vertically. This was on guess what - a Maxi 26.

I'd guess that the arches are 2 piece inserted quadrant brackets (on one side or both) and that the glass is actually rectangular, or if not rectangular then a much simpler shape than what you see i.e roughed out arch.
So the door construction would all be rectangular and normal
You will easily find out by having a poke around.
The grain on the brackets would go across at 45deg.
Could be wrong it might be much more complicated, but I've done several like this.
Being trad joinery from near the end of the golden age whatever they did will be ruthlessly logical and practical.

cheers
Jacob

Welcome back Jacob, its nice to hear how it would have been constructed traditionally.
I assume they are at 45 degrees to cut down on the thin short grain?
I'm interested to know how you would approach a curved bead?

Hi Jason

Do you have a lathe ? you could turn the beads from solid.

I would make a template to do all three cutouts in one, remove most of the wood with a bandsaw or jigsaw.

Then the top rail could be done on the spindle with a rebate block and a bearing follower...don't forget the lead in pin.

You could run the bead with a router.

Paul

Mr_Grimsdale":39d5xcaa said:
Ring fence on SM much easier than you'd expect, in my experience. Have a trial go on some heavy bits of scrap. I did the door architrave here below as my first ring fence effort. Some bits ring fenced, other bits in a curved jig held vertically. This was on guess what - a Maxi 26.

I'd guess that the arches are 2 piece inserted quadrant brackets (on one side or both) and that the glass is actually rectangular, or if not rectangular then a much simpler shape than what you see i.e roughed out arch.
So the door construction would all be rectangular and normal
You will easily find out by having a poke around.
The grain on the brackets would go across at 45deg.
Could be wrong it might be much more complicated, but I've done several like this.
Being trad joinery from near the end of the golden age whatever they did will be ruthlessly logical and practical.

cheers
Jacob

Which proves there's no knowledge like experience. :)

Dom

OOOO i forgot about the legacy !!!!! Might have to give it a dust off :D

don't tell me you had forgotten about it :shock: :shock:
too busy drinkin beer whilst moulding I guess :lol:

That power feed is such a cool tool for perfect mouldings but running off 300m of glazing beads was soooo boring . At least if your feeding it by hand your keeping busy . I ended up reading the rutlands and axminster catalogues front to back and just keeping an ear out for any machine changes . :lol: I've got the same amount to do in stop beads tomorrow so i best take the Haffele hardback down there !!!

ok, here speaks the voice of no experience in this, but thinking about what jacob had to say, how about a proper cheat???

why not use 3 rectangular pieces of glass, and make the whole upper section in one piece with a slit in it for the glass, that way you could pattern route the semi circular patterns, and then let the whole piece into the top of the door with a loose tenon tongue???

does that make sense jason, or do i have to actually think it through???
paul :wink:

The problem with the ring fence is that they are of a larger dia that the cutouts in the top rail with the added problem that you can only cut on the tip of the radius.

Paul

engineer one":68nerwlh said:
ok, here speaks the voice of no experience in this, but thinking about what jacob had to say, how about a proper cheat???

why not use 3 rectangular pieces of glass, and make the whole upper section in one piece with a slit in it for the glass, that way you could pattern route the semi circular patterns, and then let the whole piece into the top of the door with a loose tenon tongue???

does that make sense jason, or do i have to actually think it through???
Copying trad joinery you don't need to make up a cheat - you just look closely and work out how they did it and hey presto that'll be the best and easiest way to do it. It was all done by very clever chaps.
Easy peasy :lol: (sort of)

cheers
Jacob

Hi Jacob

Are you in Middleton ?

That is a really nice part of the World, I worked for a cabinet makers in Wirksworth for a while..... Great views from the workshop.

Ah , thanks for jogging the memory chaps . Rebate for the glass and mould both sides solid then make up straight bead for the rest of the opening , so the glass slots in from underneath ...... Did someone already say that ? :lol:

kerchink, and we thought that you had had the brain transplant already :lol:

however it is amazing how asking a question makes the answer clear. :twisted: :roll:

after another thought process i returned to my stone masons' books,
still have some after the old man died. in addition was in pinner church on saturday night at a concert.

most early churches had these kinds of windows, and stone window frames. no power tools in those days, only a bolster and hammer/mallet.
they would make each moulding by hand although with moulding bolsters.

no poofy steam bending for stone masons :lol: :lol: :twisted:
but the thought process gives you more possibilities.

you gonna rebuild all the porches in twickenham :?

Maybe Roger but i think just pictures this time , even the short bits of text i did last time took ages .

Latest posts

Back