Magnets for tool storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I am pondering the best way to hold my planes in their sloped cubby holes for the cabinet I am making. They each sit on a 6mm MDF platform, that is lined upside with 2-3mm cork sheet. I brought some 15mm rare earth magnets from Axminster, but they don't work through the wood. Are there any that will, or do I need to make sure the magnet is touching the plane? The rare earth ones have to be glued in place as well, no screw holes, which does not help. It just needs to grab the plane, the slope does most of the work, but some planes need a little help to sit securely as they are only just past the balance point.

Its either that or I need to make individual carved and recessed walnut holders for the bottom of each plane , which is going to be a bit of a pain....

Cheers, Mark

Assuming you want to use the magnets you have, could you drill a shallow hole from the back (using a 15mm Forstner bit) leaving 3 mm or thereabouts so your magnet is closer to the metal of the plane?

AndyT":20drwpeu said:
Assuming you want to use the magnets you have, could you drill a shallow hole from the back (using a 15mm Forstner bit) leaving 3 mm or thereabouts so your magnet is closer to the metal of the plane?

My thoughts exactly, or drill the MDF and glue the magnates before laying the cork if the magnates are strong enough to pull.

Peter Sefton":3f9x3jny said:
AndyT":3f9x3jny said:

My thoughts exactly, or drill the MDF and glue the magnates before laying the cork if the magnates are strong enough to pull.

Aren't they something to do with oil?? :lol:

Hi Mark,

We would strongly advise against drilling magnets as rare-earth magnets are extremely brittle. Any drilling is sure to break them. Countersunk magnets are a good option and widely available, just make sure you use a brass or stainless steel screw so that the screw doesn't draw any of the magnetism.

Rare-earth magnets such as neodymium are ideal for pushing into holes or grooves in wooden structures and most (depending on the grade) are strong enough to attract a ferrous object that isn't in direct contact through a small air gap. The size of the air gap will determine the size of the magnet your require.

A N42 grade neodymium disc magnet which is 15mm in diameter and 1mm thick will support a steel weight of 1kg when in flush, direct contact with a steel surface.

Hope that helps.

I'm not entirely sure that I'd want my expensive planes becoming magnetized, and thus picking up small screws or bits of swarf. Not that I have any expensive planes, mind.

I do have lots of ferrous debris scattered around and hidden in the wood shavings, however.

Random Orbital Bob":2t2t2k1i said:
Do ferrous metals have a "memory" of the magnetism then? Ie do they remain magnetic even after having been separated from the magnet that was holding them?

Yes very much so, especially if removed from the source in the same direction on a regular basis.

I have my Record jack plane stored vertically in a wooden holster fixed to the wall. It has a small lip at the bottom to retain the heal and a wider one at the top for the toe. The toe is pushed up under the top lip, the plane is then pushed into fully vertical and the heel dropped behind the bottom lip. Perfectly secure, instantly accessible and no magnets involved. I definitely don't want any of my planes magnetised. Couldn't you do something similar?

Jim

yetloh":awtuyx6i said:
I have my Record jack plane stored vertically in a wooden holster fixed to the wall. It has a small lip at the bottom to retain the heal and a wider one at the top for the toe. The toe is pushed up under the top lip, the plane is then pushed into fully vertical and the heel dropped behind the bottom lip. Perfectly secure, instantly accessible and no magnets involved. I definitely don't want any of my planes magnetised. Couldn't you do something similar?

Jim

That sounds a much more sensible idea.

The amount your planes would get magnetised depends on exactly what they are made of. Iron and steel would behave somewhat differently. Please let's not start again on how scratchable they both are!

Yes, I could, but each plane is different ( which means the cabinet wont have continuity of design - not a massive issue but something to consider..) and I don't have a lot of space at the bottom of the cubby holes, so am limited slightly in the design & thickness of the heel plates. I spent a couple of hours mulling it over yesterday, even made up a couple of test pieces. Cant decide what is the best approach. Am getting some other magnets sent to test out how they work. Not unduly worried about the debris issue however, I keep my shop pretty clean, and likewise the planes.....

Here are the heel plates, what do you think....?

They look nice but probably wouldn't work with the holster idea. You would need to reduce them which might give you enough movement to play with at the top. I do sympathise with your desire to keep the aesthetics in line with what you had in mind. So far as megnetisation is concerned, I have found the biggest problem to be wire wool dust. I don't use it a lot but when I do I find it sticks like mad to anything that has even a hint of a magnetic fieldand is a real pain.

Jim

I'd personally be worried about storing planes with a magnet... just too easy for them to drop. If not now, how about in ten years' time? Or when someone fumbles with the adjacent one.

No, there is too much gap at the sides.....I have found that even the really strong magnets dont really work properly unless they are almost or touching the metal of the plane. I am experimenting with various methods, currently looking at cutting a circular hole in the cork base so the magnet is right next to the plane base. it works, but does not look as nice. I cant really decide how to proceed, will have to ponder it a bit more I think.

But at least I now know what you can and cannot achieve with a magnet.....

Latest posts

Back