looking for inspiration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm all about done with boxes for a while, I want to try something different.
But I dont know what.
Any suggestions? remembering I am a rank amateur with wood.
Dont want anything as complicated as furniture, but willing to look at any suggestions especially if they come with a cutting list.

+1 for a stool but maybe a bar stool with 4 curved legs and rails and a carved seat. If nothing else you can use it in the workshop to sit at the bench. It is very good practice with mortice and tenon joints, curved work and a bit of geometry.
A small display cabinet to go on the wall or on a frame.
a bedside cabinet
A book case

Pete,
spokeshave? aint got one
Brace and bit? aint got one.
Told you I was an amateur, didnt I (g) Although they are on my wish list I am mainly using power tools (router table, bandsaw mitre saw, belt sander) at this time.

Stools are suspiciously like furniture too. We dont have much space for extra furniture, especially if its obviously badly made and wobbly like mine would be. Although a workshop high stool might be worth exploring a bit more.

I was thinking something decorative that I could give away if the missus really didnt like it, but still, keep suggesting.

O/k Bob

Car boot or ebay wooden spokeshave and brace and bit, shouldn't cost a lot.

Then off you go on the quiet side of woodworking learning about grain direction, and how you get a shiny finish from a sharp blade.
Things that will help you with your future projects.

And 3 legged stools don't wobble.

21st March by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

There is the whole world of turning that can be practical, artistic, big / small etc etc.

Setup can range from cheap second hand lathe / kit to a fortune but worth a go.

Perhaps combine this and Pete's stool suggestion and make yourself a pole lathe / shaving horse. Both useful to have if you have some space (outside is fine for both), only take building grade softwood to make and are fun projects in themselves.

BRgds

Simon

Bob, Adirondack chairs are easy to make; just the job for sunny Cyprus :)
I used the plans here

This video helped
http://d2amilv9vi9flo.cloudfront.net/wp ... remium.pdf

SS6idHWh.jpg

cqLNdUah.jpg

Hand saw, scroll saw or band saw, screw-driver, some kind of drill and a paint brush

A printer would be handy :)

edit; Oops video and plan in wrong order (hammer)

No lathe, no real interest in one. Too many other things to master yet.

Cordy I'm printing that plan, i just might commit to this chair, even though its the biggest movable wooden thing I have ever done.
I have a pen friend (email friend?) in Florida who makes these as a hobby and actually sells quite a lot of them. I dont really want to go down that route, but if my missus doesnt like it I have a chance of selling it on and recouping the wood costs.

thanks.

Pac,

all our chopping boards and cheese boards go through the dishwasher so wood is not an option, and the wine has to go in the fridge.
Dont ever try to drink red wine when its at a room temperature of 38c and above, trust me on this.

OK, first hitch.
The plans say use Cypress wood. Well despite me living in CyprUs, I have never seen that wood for sale here.
So alternatives please? I know where I can get redwood or theres ordinary construction pine. I havent worked either, so advice please.

Good thread.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-co ... 4-Seg2.pdf

Furniture isn't difficult as long as it's mainly straight lines and right angles. This project should be on everyone's list, once you can make this then you've opened the door to making an entire house full of real solid wood furniture. I don't agree with every construction detail in Chris Schwarz's side table, but there's no disputing that if you just follow his guidelines you'll end up with an attractive and useful item. This sort of side table forms the basis for what is probably the most common piece of furniture in most people's homes, as well as side tables there's bedside tables, telephone tables, computer desks, dressing tables, and hall tables. You can make very attractive versions of them all by following this basic outline.

In terms of timber you'll need about one cubic foot for the project itself, but it would make sense to buy a bit more than that to cover you for different thicknesses and to give you a choice when it comes to optimising grain. American Cherry would be a great choice, as would White Oak or Black Walnut. So the material cost would work out in the range from £50 to £80, not a large amount of money given that you'll probably get forty hours or so of fun from making it, and then a lifetime of satisfaction from using it.

No room indoors for more tables or storage. the outdoor chair idea might well work though, especially if thers a chance of selling it on..
Yes custard, i had worked out it would cost me about 50 euro for cherry, 'er indoors gave me an old fashioned look (for free!) when I mentioned it to her. This is the problem with all outdoor furniture here, I can buy plastic or metal for a quarter of the cost of materials if i make it and all with no maintenance.

Hadnt considered black walnut, but price is the same.
I need to go price some cheaper wood, because its pretty sure i shall make a pigs ear of the first one.
I'll make a set of templates from 9 mm ply first, which will reduce the number of kokups I hope.

Bob, the one cubic foot comment was for the side table not the Adirondack chair, for outdoor furniture Walnut or Cherry aren't good choices.

Bob
For Adi chairs I use Redwood; ie cheapest 6 x 1 and 4 x 1
Went to Wigan Timber this morning for more Redwood, as I got a commission to make 3 chairs

Took a couple of photos to show them -- the saw-man wanted to order 2 off me :roll:

Unfortunately for him I only make stuff for giving

The article in my first post - by Shanesy I found easy to follow, most instructions on the 'net usually lose me at the second paragraph :)

Just used ordinary coach bolts, not stainless
DgxUMFLh.jpg

ps
The blue paint is £60.00 per litre; [enough for two chairs] from B & Q
Others have been two coats Sikkens which look good -- however Ladies like the blue paint

I've drawn out all the templates, converting everything to metric was a pain, but I have converted as much as possible in this hobby as the local woodyards are all metric so it saves confusion.
I'm using scrap chipboard as permanent templates to save time later.

I'll work out the materials list tomorrow and go find a price for redwood. i will use poly on it rather than paint.
Have to keep the cost well down on this one, pretty sure it will fail final quality control.

What about things like wooden planters? Mistakes and inaccuracies would not really matter, but obviously you would aim for precision so as to build up skills. Then perhaps progress to outdoor furniture as in the Adirondack chair shown previously. Also someone mentioned stools, so how about one of those animal stools ( frog ones look neat ) to give to a grandchild? Also things like spice racks, either for your house or to give away, wouldn't take up much timber if they go wrong and end up as firewood.

K

The chair is the project of choice (so far). Its simple with no complicated joints so should be achievable.
I'll see how i get on with that before tackling any thing else now.

Latest posts

Back