lighter wight worktop only help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lark

Established Member
Reaction score
iv seen most people go for around 3 layers of mdf...but it is heavy.

i think i need it more than just 1 layer as might be to thin and so on..

plus i would not mind a nicer looking one..... with out to much hassle or painting or veneering my self.

how about sheet on mdf and 12mm ply veneer sheet then a frame...... so it looks ok..... but can i do that with out any problems.

any way ruffly what it is.
2 cupboards/drawer
then the top to go over the top

maybe about 200cm lenth
just under 60cm wide...
there would be some spare there, just ruff for now.... and i would add say a vice or 2. one at the side and one in the middle.... unsure but defo the 1

a worktop that goes over cupboards. like they do in a kitchen but for the garage.

some ppl glue 3 layers of mdf together so its nice and thick.... but i dont want it to be as heavy.

rather than the ugly looking mdf i wanted it to look nice

what ill do sheet of 30% lighter mdf with sheet of veneered mdf then a solid wood frame or border goes around it.

e.g like this but not so many
http://www.stanleyshop.co.uk/zaggarage.jpg

Lark,

Not too sure why you want it light, by the time you have a couple of vices on it it will be pretty damn heavy.

You can make the top out of the ply/frame/ply sandwich glued and screwed, but it needs to be planned with care to make sure you have solid areas where the vices will go.
Hardwood lipping will disguise the construction.

Bob

lark,
pretty much made mine outta 1 18mm sheet of MDF , had the chap at B&Q cut it lengthways into 3 trimmed them down to 6ft and laminated those to make a 3 ply base lipped it with 4x2 pine and found i had a 12mm space for the sacrificial top outta MDF too, so a new top costs me the price of a 1/3 of 12mm MDF driiled a dozen or so 3/4 in holes for the Veritas Wonderpups SWMBO bought me, just give it a couple of coats of wax and polish like the devil, add a record vise...Viola!! looks great, although now burying in a ton of shavings..and made a short fence for the T/S and tennoning jig with the offcuts....
so all in all I have a new workbench (albeit the top) a tennoning jig and a short fence for th T/S all for less than 20 notes :D :lol: :D

And I would have thought the heavier , the better...unless you need to move it frequently?

i dont think i will need to move it just with mdf being so heavy just thought, if i do need to change it or what ever to be easier.... long as it was not to lirght it would bend or bow.

and would not mind a nicer looking top than just mdf.

the old one, that was there. i only used it to store the tools on it.
but i am still learning, not to much use of handtools yet.
so see how it goes really... plus the better i get i might even what more fancier top like you have done.

think i will do some 30% lighter mdf 18mm thick then a sheet of beech veneered then frame it for now around 200cm long by 45cm ish wide
and use one the tool pegboards as well above it

need some veneered mdf for small project anyway so it will be kinda be spare and the first time i will have used it.

the laminated i guess just woodglue and i have b compressor nailer gun and clamp with cols?--> unsure of its spelling

Lark":2lsvxqj4 said:
would not mind a nicer looking top than just mdf.

Nothing wrong with the look of MDF :wink: Here's mine after 10 years of hard use - three layers of MDF lipped with softwood. Dead flat and solid as a rock

Workbench1.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

yer i guess thats not to bad at all really

its about the same as what i want to go on top of the cupboards.

the holes you have, are they a guess to wear you wanted them or is the a ruff guide for where to place them.... and to what size forstner bit or the flat drill bit i have both guess what ever size bench dog holes are?

Hey Paul

10 years and a bench like that? You aint working hard enough! :D

hey.. i have glued the mdf boards to gether longer than i need and then will cut them down to size

does seem a bit bowed right now.
does that matter....... before i cut it to size. and then add the frame around it or trim what ever is the correct term

Back