Lathe stand for jet mini.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
background
I have a jet 1014 (mini), with the bed extension. It sits on a shop made wooden stand with splayed legs. It was a bit low, so has a scaffold board on it but that is by the by, and at least I know the desired height now. This isn't mine, but the legs have the same issue.
Lathe-Stand-e1421091270658.png
. The absolute capacity of the lathe is 10", sensibly 8", so it isn't often used for large or hideously out of balance blanks.

I want to have a bit of a change around, firstly to make it easier for shavings to drop to the floor and be swept up, and secondly because the splayed leg gets in the way of where I like to stand when turning small pieces.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this stand?
jet stand.jpg
I would make from box section rather than buy. Plates bolted to the floor would be even better if I could get away with that rather than the feet sticking out.

Even simpler, would three vertical pieces of beefy I beam with a plate welded top and bottom, bolted to the floor be sufficient?
endplate-2.png
. Do the lateral pieces add much to stability?

Attachments

• jet stand.jpg
    jet stand.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 301
  • Lathe-Stand-e1421091270658.png
    Lathe-Stand-e1421091270658.png
    9 KB · Views: 301
  • endplate-2.png
    endplate-2.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 301
Probably overkill for a mini lathe. In my opinion although the stand needs to be sturdy the lathe needs to be at the front & there needs to be space for the users feet.
I've seen lots of ideas where the opposite is true, which must give the user backache.
You could lengthen the stand a little so that the legs aren't in the way.

Back