keeping chisels in tip top condition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnb20

Reaction score
I have a decent set of woodworking chisels accumulated over many years. I like to keep them in good condition, but I guess I don't use them often enough, because I find them going rusty very quickly. I keep them in a tool roll in a metal filing cabinet in my workshop. Other then spreading a thin film of oil over them after use (something I often forget) does anyone have any simple ideas on how to stop this degradation, it's a real pain to have to re-hone them before using them each time.

Thanks for any advice

Johnb20

Johnb20":3a4whatr said:
I have a decent set of woodworking chisels accumulated over many years. I like to keep them in good condition, but I guess I don't use them often enough, because I find them going rusty very quickly. I keep them in a tool roll in a metal filing cabinet in my workshop. Other then spreading a thin film of oil over them after use (something I often forget) does anyone have any simple ideas on how to stop this degradation, it's a real pain to have to re-hone them before using them each time.

Thanks for any advice

Johnb20
Fairly airtight cupboard made of wood, is the answer. Not hermetically sealed, just reasonably close fitting doors and/or drawers. The wood tempers the temp variations and the associated condensation.

Taking them out of the tool roll might help too. Rolls are really intended for transporting tools rather than being a permanent home for them, with spanners and the like you can get away with an oily roll but you don't really want that much greasiness near your wood.

A magnetic toolbar screwed to the wall may be a better option, or you could house one inside the wooden cabinet Jacob suggested. If the problem still persists you may want to intervene chemically to stop the corrosion, we recommend ToolGuard VCI pots (the red pots halfway down the page). They release a protective vapour that builds up inside the cabinet when you close it, settles on the tools and interferes with the corrosion process, they are made with the same stuff that VCI paper is impregnated with.

Leather tool rolls may actually promote rust if they absorb dampness. I hate metal tool boxes...they are cold and promote cold tools which promotes condensation which leads to .....rust.

Keep them separate if possible to avoid damaging the cutting edge...a magnetic bar is fine on the wall in a dry shop. Even in a damp workshop...Camelia Oil rubbed over them after every use works for me but you can also try the various products that Matt sells at Workshop Heaven

The one that works for me is the grease (click on picture to go to product)....

All the Shield products are the bees knees....the little vapour tubs (red) for putting in drawers are particularly impressive.

Matt gave me one for free sample at the last Kent Bashe and I kind of thought..."yeh right" at the time but it has sat in a drawer full of chisels since last may in a very damp workshop in sub-zero temperatures and NOT ONE of those chisels shows any signs of rust. I was duly impressed!

There is no "magic" answer to not remembering to treat your tools with care though. If you forget to do these little jobs...prepare to get rust and eventually new chisels!

Cheers

Jim

It always makes me laugh the way almost everybody assumes that the solution to almost every woodwork problem is to go out and buy something, the more hi-tech/expensive the better.
So often it is just not necessary and is not even the easiest way to deal with the problem, as here, or e.g. in that thread about cleaning saw blades. Or recent thread - Honerite gold - to stop water causing rust :lol: instead of using oil!
Save yer dosh, buy wood instead!

I keep a rag soaked in WD40. Whenever I'm finished with a tool, I give it a wipe down. No rust problems yet.

edit: sorry, just realised that's already been said

The reason I don't use ordinary oil is because it has a habit of getting on the wood and then screwing up my finishes...particularly with guitars. I find that Camilia Oil is the exception to this...and I wipe it off first anyway so for me, I would prefer to use a vapour which prevents it rather than use a barrier which might ruin my work.

Jacob - my friend - I think to make opposing statements every single time someone says something in a thread is both counter-productive and annoying! Not only that, it confuses the original poster who is looking for experienced advice.

Jim

I keep all my chisels in rolls as I have too many to hang out on racks but I keep them wiped with Camellia oil and check them over frequently in the Winter.
No problems with rust but the brass on some of my Blue Spruces went a bit green with verdigris but it easily wiped off.

Rod

jimi43":2teu91my said:
Jacob - my friend - I think to make opposing statements every single time someone says something in a thread is both counter-productive and annoying! Not only that, it confuses the original poster who is looking for experienced advice.

Jim
I offer experienced advice (40 years or so). I know what I'm talking about. I don't have a rust problem in spite of having an unheated drafty workshop. You lot do.
Do it your way by all means, I'll carry on doing it mine.

PS I might post a snap of my chisel cupboard, which originally was the base for a Singer sewing machine. Lotsa shiny things, like Tutankhamen's tomb!

jimi43":1kvp7o8o said:
Jim

opposing statements are statements that contradict your own, everyone is entitled to their opinion surely ?
I've not read a post by Jacob yet that I can't see the common sense in , 40 years of experience cannot be dismissed outright-if the guy gets on your threepenny bits then your threepenny bits are easy to get on-sort yourself out and leave others be.

Welcome to the forum, John.

Johnb20":2n8ykb09 said:
Other then spreading a thin film of oil over them after use (something I often forget)...
Train yourself not to forget; it'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run and it's a good habit to get into with all your tools anyway. I know, boring answer, innit? But if you're not handy to your vapour-emitting, hermetically sealed, wooden tool chest your chisels will still stand a chance.

Just noticed this .
I realise that as a rust preventitive measure "putting your chisels in a cupboard" sounds too easy for the techy/toolies.
Just think of it as a Tansu, or even a Katana-dansu!
Katana-dansu were used to store swords. These chests were long and low and owned by Samurai families. Quite often the wood used in these chests was Kiri because it kept swords from rusting in the humid Japanese summers.

Kiri wood if you can get it, but redwood will do. Or almost any old (dry) wood.
My Katana-dansu was the base of a Singer sewing machine which I retrieved from a skip.

Save you camellia oil for your acne! I wonder how it caught on as a woodwork item? Probably started as a joke; "I keep my finest chisels in camellia oil ha ha ha!"
It's also good for your hair (or scalp if you haven't any) and other parts of the body. Linseed oil ditto, but a lot cheaper.

Jacob":ij17wy4q said:
Just noticed this .
I realise that as a rust preventitive measure "putting your chisels in a cupboard" sounds too easy for the techy/toolies.

Strawman.

It's frequently recommended by the wise "toolies" of the OLDTOOLS list. The wood stabilises both temperature and humidity.

Wooden tools chests have been made and used for centuries, and in the days of journeymen often doubled up as a demonstration of the skill of the maker, as well a being a tool store.

BugBear

bugbear":3uwg6h43 said:
Jacob":3uwg6h43 said:
Just noticed this .

Strawman.

It's frequently recommended by the wise "toolies" of the OLDTOOLS list. The wood stabilises both temperature and humidity.

Wooden tools chests have been made and used for centuries, and in the days of journeymen often doubled up as a demonstration of the skill of the maker, as well a being a tool store.

BugBear
Wurzel

Yebbut you try telling this lot something so simple!

This thread has deteriorated into a handbags-at-dawn, personalised, damn-near-vindictive slanging match. I'm not going to name anyone, but Gents, act your age, not your shoe size.

I, and others, look to this forum for help and advice. Some of us earn our daily bread in an environment far away from sawdust and we are grateful for the 'oul hands' proffering tips that work (and have been proved to do so by years of practice) and save us time. And therin lies the truth of the matter; substantial provenance. It doesn't matter if YOUR experience since an apprentice differs from HIS experience since an apprentice, if BOTH work, share 'em!!!

If anybody wants to gurn at somebody else for gurning's sake, go start a forum for it. Rant over.

Yours, disgruntled and disappointed, Sam

SammyQ":2cnseki2 said:
Yours, disgruntled and disappointed, Sam
Sorry you are disgruntled and disappointed Sam.
Perhaps you shouldn't take thing too seriously. This sort of bonkers exchange is normal (especially when Wurzel gets involved :roll: ) and some of us find it amusing, and possibly helpful somewhere along the line, you never know.

cheers

Jacob

Jacob, you are a professional woodworker you have to get the job done quickly to make a living, we are amateurs we can take our time polish our tools, talk about all the different ways of doing something etc, you have a workshop we have sheads, garages or the dining room table,

So there are fundamental differences between you and us, stop trying to make us to work like you do.

You can help by sugesting ways of going things, but if we want to coat our tools with what ever to protect them until a fortnight or six months time when we need to use them again, just stop and think of that.

I feel you could be a great help but you are getting boring with all your negative comments and I feel people will start ignoring you.

And leave BB alone you two are like a pair of kids :wink:

Pete

Racers":325vddyr said:
Jacob, you are a professional woodworker you have to get the job done quickly to make a living, we are amateurs we can take our time polish our tools, talk about all the different ways of doing something etc, you have a workshop we have sheads, garages or the dining room table,

So there are fundamental differences between you and us, stop trying to make us to work like you do.

You can help by sugesting ways of going things, but if we want to coat our tools with what ever to protect them until a fortnight or six months time when we need to use them again, just stop and think of that.

I feel you could be a great help but you are getting boring with all your negative comments and I feel people will start ignoring you.

And leave BB alone you two are like a pair of kids :wink:

Pete
OK point taken.
I didn't realise that suggesting keeping chisels in a cupboard (or drawer, box etc) was a sensitive issue.

Jacob, I actually think your two replies were quite gracious and understanding; Thank You.

I come from an area of the world where 'slagging one another off' is common sport among close acquaintainces and workmates, so I DO understand banter. I also believe it's all about context or appropriateness of said 'slagging'.........Now, what was the ORIGINAL context of this thread before the Mods (quite rightly) whip us back into line?

Sam

Latest posts

Back