Hollow form: Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't do too many of these but thought I'd have a go at the club tonight. It's spalted sycamore, 7 1/2" tall, 4 1/2" at it's widest point and finished to approx 1/4" thick. Perhaps not up to George and Marks standard but they have a bit more practice at these than me :lol:

Pete

Yes very nice those Pete, some pleasing bit of spalting too. I had a mad idea the other day of trying to imitate spalting with a pyro pen, might try it one day :lol:
Steve

Hello Pete.

Not a bad effort but could be improved.
The base i think is too wide and squat it would look better if you tucked the base under somewhat.
This would make it appear lighter and give it some lift.
Also the neck looks like a contraceptive sat on top it does not flow off the shoulder.
Here is one i did earlier.

bamboo2.jpg

Regards George

Lovely piece of Sycamore Pete and well finished. :D
Glad to see that you have made a stable looking piece PP. :lol:
What did you use to holow it out :?:

I think its great Pete, What tools are you using ?

Nice piece of spalted sycamore Pete. George F's advice is good with regards to the base.The piece does end too abruptly at the base and if you follow the flow from the top it looks like the base needs to be narrower to look well balanced. You don't need an ultra small base but it is a good idea to really round in near the base to give it a shadow and make the piece look lighter where it connects to the table, this is so easy to do and improves the appearance dramatically, the picture that George has posted even though his base is very small demonstrates this principle well.

JT

Proves it is all subjective.
Personally I prefer Pete's to George's with a form that appears stable rather than likely to topple. Must say I also prefer to see a nice piece of wood rather than the coloured options. I do agree with George about the neck though.
But hey - what do I know (and even less able to actually do myself). I would be chuffed to be able to do either!
One day ....

Hi Pete

I hope you are well. Keeping busy I see.

The more I understand about form and the creative processes that go into making works the less and less I find I am able to critique.

So this is not as a critique but what I feel about the way I work. It may or may not help you.

1stly it would depend on what you intended this hollow form to be for. IE is it to be used and have dried flowers put in it. If so then it is a good stable form. It would be no good having a small base as it would then topple over.

2ndly Form is so much about personal preference.

3rdly For me the best way to develop or to get a critique is through observation and highly critical " self critique". You will always be your best point of reference as others may have a different perspective.

For me when I am working on my forms I like to work to a few basic rules.They are,

Continuous flowing lines without any breaks ( unless it is suppose to be there and then it should be obvious or may look like a mistake).

Working within the thirds rule ( but breaking it when I can get want I want)

If there is detail ( such as a join of a bead into a converging line then I like to have good detail between the separate parts. A bit like a a well made stair spindle as opposed to a mass produced one. I don't like my work to be sanded so the detail is lost.

all of the above again is my preference and not right or any rule that has to be adhered to.

For this piece I may have done a few things differently, such as tucked the base in a bit, ( but like I say I do not know if it is to have a practical use, if so this base is fine) .

I would have made the rim around the opening slightly smaller/finer ( not the hole I am not referring to the size of the opening) so that it did not draw my eye quite so much.

But again these are my tastes so what you have done is not wrong.

I think you have made a nice piece the form of which you may or may not want to play around with in the future.

If it helps google "hollow forms" and this way you will get glass and ceramic forms too. Have a look and find a form that you like and use it as a reference.

No one can lay claim to a simple form shape despite what they may have you believe.

On your piece the finish looks good, there is no sign of bruised or torn fibres, the wall thickness looks fine as does the interior. So it is all about the form and that is subjective unless it involves a utility purpose and then you have to apply a few rules.

Hope I have not waffled too much. :lol:

take care

Mark

Thank you all for the input. Most that has been said I'd go along with. Sometimes seeing things the next day or in print gives a different perspective. I would imagine this would be used as a vase for dried flowers etc but confess that is hindsight. The size f the collar was dictated to some extent by a soft patch that would have fallen out altogether if I had gone any smaller but I would agree that it would be better smaller. Overall I am reasonably pleased with it but the next one will use some of the suggestions and hopefully be better. I might have a go at curving the foot in on this one as I left some weight in the bottom inch for stability so it is doable.

Pete

Latest posts

Back