Excellent scribing compass £2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I had one of these old Helix school types which worked great,but inevitably got lost. I've scoured Ebay for one, there are lots, but there seems to be a great demand for them and they all have multiple bidders paying up to £9 plus postage.

I tried a modern copy from a stationery shop with a plastic nut to hold the pencil. It doesn't hold the pencil and strips the thread when you try to tighten it.

I spotted these for £2 inc postage.
$_57.JPG
They look cheap and nasty, but to my surprise every bit as sturdy as the old Helix. Nice stiff nut (leave it!) so no slipping and slim and delicate enough for fine work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151100890433

Attachments

• vintage-old-school-days-english-brass-helix-registered-drawing-pencil-compass-mid-century-1950...jpg
    vintage-old-school-days-english-brass-helix-registered-drawing-pencil-compass-mid-century-1950...jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,033
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 3,497
The problem with those is the point isn't long enough to get into ornate skirtings etc, that's why the old style ones are so popular with the long spike

I used to occasionally see the traditional type at car boot sales,but I think the sellers have become aware of how much more they can sell for on ebay-and you don't have to stand around in the drizzle.

Very useful things, nice & simple too. I agree the plastic ones are rubbish, love that old Helix above. I did spot this ages ago somewhere - about as close to art as you could get with a compass :)

compass.jpg

Attachments

• compass.jpg
    compass.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 3,352
Graham Orm":26n7tfe2 said:
I had one of these old Helix school types

file.php

which worked great,but inevitably got lost. I've scoured Ebay for one, there are lots, but there seems to be a great demand for them and they all have multiple bidders paying up to £9 plus postage.

Are there really enough carpenters doing scribing to drive the price up, or is there some other factor?

They don't seem fancy enough to be part of the scientific instrument world (draughstman's instruments, slide rules etc).

In any case, this morning's car boot provided a pair at 20p, so not all the sellers are up to speed on their value and/or rarity.

scribe.jpg

This one is just marked "Made in England *" on the pencil retaining ring.

BugBear

Attachments

• scribe.jpg
    scribe.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 3,138
This is very odd. I've done some searching on eBay. None of the sellers seem to bother emphasising
the brand or details of the compasses, and no one mentions scribing.

I can't find any forum discussing these items (other than this one!). Almost
any collectible has its own forum.

And yet these items are consistently selling at (what I consider) a very high price for a basic item.

Mysterious.

BugBear

The £2 one in my first post is just as good for the purpose required. I don't know what's going on with the old ones.

swb58":59g913ux said:
Graham Orm":59g913ux said:
Here's one I was watching. sold for £16 with 17 bids!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/rcm/v1/?itm=<a href="tel:161878822863">161878822863</a>

Described as a circle drawing tool. Come to think of it, that just about sums it up :lol: I would have expected a pencil with it for that price!

Bright young things amaze their friends after passing it around and taking guesses as to its use. Drug induced awe as Tarquin describes an arc (hammer)

Sorry going off on a tangent (homer)

Back