Desk & shelving unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_S

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my most recent project, to make room for our just arrived baby girl the second bedroom could no longer be an office. The books and everything else would have to move into the living room. It was essential to keep a desk both for general computer work etc but also for my wife's sewing.

This is where the project gets a little different. My work rate is very slow and equipment limited and so Oryxdesign manufactured the units to my design. I then sprayed them with acid cat paint in my garage. I made a spray booth of sorts with dust sheets to contain the paint. This was useful but not perfect, there is a fine dust over the whole garage! Space was also a problem in that I could only spray a few items before I ran out of space to store bits! But with the cheap Earlex from Argos the end finish is better than expected. I have sprayed models before at uni, but nothing of this scale.

IMG_2105.jpg

The TV unit is existing and was an earlier project, I was never happy with the brushed eggshell finish and did begin using this method with the new units. It just wasn't good enough for me so I went for it and sprayed.

IMG_2117.jpg

Desk is iroko worktop with Teak oil finish. The rest is MDF all pocket holed and dominoed together, Dominos act as shelf supports as well for adjustability.

IMG_2110.jpg

Cupboard has pull out shelf for heavy sewing machine, all draws have rather nice soft close runners.

Matt

That all looks very good - I am impressed with the finish.

What paint did you use and were there any learning points on spraying it?

cheers

looks good matt. I like the acid cat finish myself and prefer to use it if possible.

cheers

jon

Matt

Very impressive, it took me a few seconds to click on that it was a sawing machine in the bottom cupboard and not some sort of fancy printer.

Fantastic. This post could not have come at a better time for me.

I promised the mother in law that I would build some MDF cupboards for her in her storage room.
I could do with a little more information about your build.
I'm using 18mm all around and like you will use Dominos for movable shelf support. I have cut all the pieces and am ready to put it all together.
It's really about the finishing that I need advice, Is the Earlex from Argos just the £50 model?.
How did you prepare the MDF, Primer?.
Did you do any spraying of the components before you put it all together?.
What is this acid cat paint?.

Any help you could give would be great, I did try a test piece using a hand car spray and it looked terrible.
Many thanks and well done on a great finish.

Mreagleeyes":2rqhc4f3 said:
What is this acid cat paint?.

Eagle,

You can have Pre-Cat and AC lacquer.

Pre-Cat you use straight out of the tin and dries in minutes.

AC or acid cat is similar but you add an acid hardener usually 1:9 this takes longer to dry but is harder wearing. If you have not sprayed before I would go for the Pre-Cat.

Both the above use hydrocarbon free primer for MDF, they all come in any colour, but 5ltrs only.

Your best bet is to try Morrells in Park Royal.

Thanks Paul. I'll check out Morrells in Park Royal tomorrow, cheers for finding that for me.
I saw there was another thread that you had commented on and I need to sit down and read it properly. Seemed to be getting a bit heated with the Egg Shell debate.
Saint Patrick's day so hopefully will be singing in about an hour.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/hvlp ... ying%20mdf

Mreagleeyes":3i7p4uwy said:
I'll check out Morrells

Speak to Steve

Mreagleeyes":3i7p4uwy said:
Saint Patrick's day so hopefully will be singing in about an hour.

Tell me about it, I was meant to be in Ireland today for the Seatrout, the craic and a few pints of the dark stuff 8) but I couldn't get away.

If you need any help, pop over one Saturday for a demo.

Thanks for all the comments.

Mreagleeyes happy to help, this was the first time I'd sprayed MDF and I got some good tips from Orxdesign which I can pass on. As Paul said the paint is Morrells. I used their acid cat primer and then a 90% gloss acid cat top coat. This was a standard dulux white, cheaper than speccing a colour. Not used pre cat so can't comment, the AC primer is touch try in about 30mins and the top coat seemed to take a little longer. The other thing you need is celulose thinners to get the viscosity right.

The spray gun was the £50 model, although I managed to get it for £35 at Christmas time! It did the job perfectly well, I couldn't justify the money for the 5000, wasn't sure how I'd get on and so this model suited me. Not sure I would recommend it though, it isn't great quality and the biggest flaw is you can't seem to be able to get different needles? I may be wrong on this but I certainly couldn't find any. The needle in it is a 2mm I think, I managed to get quite a flat finish with the primer, but it did chuck out a lot of paint meaning I got through it a bit quicker than I should have.

As the units were supplied to me together I didn't spray as individual components. I did take the backs out of the shelving units and bottoms out of draws though. Spraying as components is better and easier but you need more space and ideally a drying rack. Spraying the insides is more difficult when you are at an angle.

I sprayed two coats of primer, rubbing back with wet and dry between coats. I used this dry and went through the grades, 320 - 600 for first coat and then to 1200 on second coat. I then did just one top coat. To be honest two would have been better, but I ran out of time! I think the draw front corners may be likely to wear.

After applying the top coat I used scotchbrite on an orbital sander to get a satin finish. This worked really well when my skills ad equipment weren't top notch as it produces an even finish and removes any dust etc which land on the final coat.

Other tips;

- you need a mask!
- you're meant to spray vertically - but horizontally is easier!
- always move gun slowly and parallel to work piece, don't be tempted to move arm in an arc
- spend time getting the viscosity right and also the flow on the gun before starting spraying properlly
- any saw marks on edges look much worse when painted so worth getting smooth first
That's it for now.

CNC Paul":1ctvjvqx said:
Both the above use hydrocarbon free primer for MDF, they all come in any colour, but 5ltrs only.

Your best bet is to try Morrells in Park Royal.

The Morrells AC white primer really is the most amazing stuff; a couple of coats with a light sand between is all you need for a perfect finish on the ends of MDF. One top coat and it's happy days.

A word of warning when visiting a Morrells trade counter, though. They have a very strict 'Trade only' policy due to the potentially hazardous nature of their products.

Run yourself some cards off on the computer - 'Joe Bloggs - Cabinetmaker and French Polisher' or something similar.

They also operate a heavy discount system. First time though, I guess you'll have to pay the 'Wally Rate'

:lol:

Just spotted this thread, looks great Matt. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

Simon

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on the baby, and congratulations on a very inspiring project.

I'm astomished at the finish with a cheap sprayer :shock: I was fortunate enough to get an Earlex 5000 at B&Q clearnce after Xmas for £80 and it's still in the box :lol:

I have recently enquired about spraying, and this has just give me a bit more get up and go. I'm considering a Gazebo with drop sides, in the garden specifically for spraying, as you say, white mist on all my new machines is a big NO!

Great project, just need one of those damned Domino machines...........spiral downwards financially :lol:

Cheers

Jed

Thanks Jed, I remember reading that thread, sounds like a good idea. The 5000 for £80 is real bargain. If you find you don't get on with it I'll take it off your hands :roll:

Missed this somehow Matt. Very nice work indeed. I think we should be a bit worried on here. The Staplehurst massive are taking over. :shock:

I'd like to have another go with spraying. I got the B&Q HVLP unit years ago and sprayed a conservatory cabinet. Well, I did the carcass with the sprayer but it wasn't a very good finish and I rollered the doors. :oops: I think half the problem with spraying is having a suitable environment.

Thanks for your help Matt & Paul.
I got the paint from Morrells and unfortunately 'Steve' wasn't there but still got 25% off.

Just one last question if you don't mind. Like you I am using the Dominos as shelf supports. Did you
A) Spray the units with the dominos in place.
B) Clean up the holes after spraying.
C) Cut the holes once you had sprayed.

I've cut the holes already and was going spray the units with dominos in place and then clean up if necessary.

A few pics
The design
4462772409_fed0edfd76_b.jpg

The tools
4462776217_534dd571ec_b.jpg

Always check the depth of cut!!
4463564014_f44820f871_b.jpg

The back lower unit
4463547782_9fafb57d6a_b.jpg

The spray kit and paint
4462783427_ea52bd57b1_b.jpg

I normally fit the dominos afterwards because I like the contrast of the wood against the paint. I domino before paint and they still fit in ok and you don't risk paint damage.
By the way AC is harder wearing than Pre Cat, I find with AC air movement is most important and I get touch dry in probably 15 minutes.
You could do with some pre-filters in your mask, you will be surprised about how much paint they catch.
Simon

^. I've got the Pre-filters, just not fitted yet as I just changed the old filter's and forgot about taking them off.
I'm with you on the contrast of the Dominos against the painted face, I was thinking of getting some 'Sipo' dominos to see what they looked like.
My first spraying attempt so may need some more advise once I get the units assembled.
Cheers

I would spray as much as you can pre assembly. Spray one side covering the edges carefully, leave to dry and then repeat on the other side. Allow to dry and harden, but not for too long as the harder the paint the harder it is to flat. Repeat as necessary, this means the edges get twice as many coats as the faces. If you need a chat give me a buzz, I'll pm you my number.

Is that a Leica on your bench?

Simon

Back