Dating this Record Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madra

Reaction score
I understand it's probably not possible to narrow it down too much, but what decade would this likely to have come from? 50s, 60s, 70s?

UE0IX22.png

Or is it even possible to say this?

Can't find a whole lot of information dating Record vices, most of the information is on planes.

Thanks

I have had a look for the registered design number, thinking that it would give some clues.
The database at the IPO is only useful for current designs, but the National Archives holds most of the older records.
The entry here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1741169 shows that RD 664709 was in a range of numbers used between 1914 and 1919, suggesting that the earliest possible date would be somewhere in that range. (It does not give the design registration itself, which has not been digitised.)

Looking at vices in a 1925 Melhuish catalogue I found an entry showing a vice just about readable as having that number and the Record name on it, which confirms that the design had reached the market place by then.

Of course, the Record designs continued to be made for many decades. At some time, we know that the design must have changed from your pattern, with the RD number across the top, to the later pattern with the model number much larger, as shown here https://www.flickr.com/photos/35604059@N03/4651253942/in/photostream/.

So when did that change happen? I don't have a full set of Record catalogues but I do have a general tool catalogue from Gardiner's of Bristol in 1940 which shows your pattern. I also have a 1957 Tyzack catalogue which shows the later pattern without the RD number. So, on the evidence so far, your vice could be between 1914 and 1957. Not an exact answer, but a bit closer than "quite old" which would have been my first answer!

(I do realise that catalogue pictures were a sort of general purpose library of images, and not 100% accurate representation of what was actually offered for sale, but at this distance they are probably a good enough indicator for most of us.)

"Dating this record vice"

Pretty strange confession if you ask me. Though it does show your dedication to woodworking I guess D

Interesting reading... I wouldn't of thought a database would be kept for such a thing....

It made me go out and drag mine out from under the bench... It's also a 664709 but without the quick release.

Although I'm no authority on production dates, I would date this one back to the the 1930s or a bit earlier, the registered number was discontinued in the 1940s.

I have a good collection of these vices and see subtle changes made over the decades, such as thicker slide bars and a different type of quick release trigger mechanism on early variants.

Attachments

• Record 53 Vice 1920s.jpg
    Record 53 Vice 1920s.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 336
  • Record 53 Vice, early 1920s.jpg
    Record 53 Vice, early 1920s.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 345
  • RECORD 53A Vice - 1930s (SMALL).jpg
    RECORD 53A Vice - 1930s (SMALL).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Record 53 Vice 1940s. (small).jpg
    Record 53 Vice 1940s. (small).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Record 53 Vice 1940s. (1).jpg
    Record 53 Vice 1940s. (1).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 330
  • RECORD No. 53 - 1940s.jpg
    RECORD No. 53 - 1940s.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 203
So there are at least three designs out there:
- The first with the registered design number, and ribs at 90 degrees and 45 degrees either side.
- The second without the RD No. but ribs the same;
- The third with two vertical ribs and a horizontal rib.

Things like quick release were options - not an indication of era (though I think the non-quick release models were dropped a long time ago).

From what AndyT writes, the first type with the RD No. was in production by 1925. And from what Torquil writes it was discontinued in the 1940s (introducing the second type). From my own experience (purchasing a No.52 in the mid-1970s) the third type (horizontal rib) had replaced the second type before then - but how long before I don't know.

Cheers, Vann.

My two are a later version yet

Attachments

• WP_20161216_09_05_50_Pro 1-small.jpg
    WP_20161216_09_05_50_Pro 1-small.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 232
Vann":csktbhdj said:
From what AndyT writes, the first type with the RD No. was in production by 1925. And from what Torquil writes it was discontinued in the 1940s (introducing the second type). From my own experience (purchasing a No.52 in the mid-1970s) the third type (horizontal rib) had replaced the second type before then - but how long before I don't know.

Cheers, Vann.
IRC I'd heard 1960s for the horizontal/vertical design (I scored an eBay one a while back - like Jake's). Works well - still has the cover over the screw with the oil hole. I believe the cover was removed in later versions.

Bought this Record 52 1/2 recently on the Bay
Seller estimates manufacture at circa 1980s
Fantastic condition

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

phil.p":d4ksgwh2 said:
The round boss would suggest to me that it is a well restored older one - from 1961 (afaik) the boss is flat on the front.
Indeed. My (assumed) 1960s model has the flat boss, so the above should be an older one (and therefore a good find)!

Cheers Phil & Sploo

I'm even more chuffed now :)

Cost £60 plus £15 postage, worth it for me

My new years resolution; look after it like the previous owners obviously did

1. No swinging on the handle with a metre long tube to test my Gran's Gallstone

2. Keep the jaws in good nick -- no hacksawing etc

Cordy":ngsl2p28 said:
Cheers Phil & Sploo

I'm even more chuffed now :)

Cost £60 plus £15 postage, worth it for me

My new years resolution; look after it like the previous owners obviously did

1. No swinging on the handle with a metre long tube to test my Gran's Gallstone

2. Keep the jaws in good nick -- no hacksawing etc

If I ever see a vice with a bent handle I always think 'What brainless silly person did that!'

I'm looking at this thread with interest as I acquired (cough) a 52 back in the summer. It and another one were fitted to an old school type bench that was so rotten it only need a wiggle to fall off. Took a lot of time to unseize it but it's going well now. Thinking of giving it to the DIL as I'm not going to wear it out!

Hello folks, just picked this up for a ton (£).
Old fella mentioned it was a wartime one but I thought WW2....reading this thread puts it at ww1. Is this the case?
What do u good people think .......it just looks a bit tidy for 100 years old
Dave

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 114
These Record 34s are very good vices. Your one has been painted and maybe given new jaws too.

I'm not sure when Record introduced this range but it had a very long production run and so they're fairly common on Ebay. I would guess your one dates from 1930's to 1950s. The RD number is at least a little later than the one shown on the previous page while the round boss was almost certainly dropped with other rounded bosses in the early sixties. Modernity was all the rage then and older design cues were ruthlessly eliminated from nearly all products.

The whole retro thing would only came much later after everyone had long since covered all their panelled doors with hardboard. Until then it was called old fashioned and was the kiss of death to any product so labelled.

Great thank you that makes sense., on the other side it is written "record steel"
Only got it as threaded the half screw on my 23 which too has a round boss but no RD number

Latest posts

Back